PDA

View Full Version : ADventure works 2.2g Kaypro-10, but not on 2.2u1 Kaypro-1

bcc
January 13th, 2018, 11:18 PM
I recently ported my old 8" text based Adventure game that ran on a 60K CP/M 2.2 SD Systems SBC-100 S-100 system, Z-80, over to my Kaypro 10 (stock setup, stock bios). The K-10 runs CP/M 2.2g rev.
The game runs fine there...(starts up with "AD" and prompts for English or French input).

I then created a bootable diskette on my Kaypro 1 ( another stock system, stock bios, that uses CP/M 2.2u1 revision).
I copied the Adventure game files off my K10 where the game works fine, onto the K1 floppy.
Attempting the run "AD" on the floppy of the K-1 starts being read but never completes setting up and does not output the prompt for English or French. I can Ctr-C out of the hung load and execute attempt.

I ran movcpm on the K-1 2.2u1 revision several times (temporary changes) on the boot floppy at different memory sizes with no change in behavior (60k, 48k, 32k).

I was attempting to loan out the K-1 to my daughter who played the game as a young kid and was looking for a nostalgia rehash.

2.2g floppy boot disk from the K-10 isn't accepted by the K-1 system.

I function well on the hardware side but lacking on software knowledge.

Any ideas on breaking through appreciated.

hwrdmltn
January 17th, 2018, 04:27 PM
I'm guessing but could it be the 1 is only SSDD but the 10 is DDDD? While the CCP may be aware of the two formats, AD may not..... just a thought.....

W1ARQ Howard

durgadas311
January 17th, 2018, 06:18 PM
If AD was written for CP/M, disk density probably doesn't matter. I'm not familiar with the Kaypro 1 but in general a specific Kaypro CP/M version is linked to the system ROM version. Because of the ROM version, the Kaypro 10 can boot 2.2g but not 2.2u. Likewise, the Kaypro 1 ROM can boot 2.2u but not 2.2g. Despite the numbering, I believe a Kaypro 1 is actually more-advanced (newer) than the Kaypro 10. I'm pretty sure both of those systems have the same general floppy drive - DSDD 40-track drives.

One thought I had was memory requirements. If AD assumed it had enough memory (did not check the standard CP/M method for enough memory), it could get into trouble. I assume AD relies on getting most of it's data off the disk, and possibly program overlays, so it may need a certain amount of space on the disk - could it be not all files would fit and maybe the program is just spinning due to an unhandled error case?

Another thing is that Kaypro CP/M depends on the system ROM, and will map in that system ROM when making BIOS calls. The ROMs carve out space in high memory which must not be used by programs. This is typically not a problem as programs are supposed to check the BDOS entry and never use memory beyond that. But the ROMs also have different memory requirements which affects the amount of memory available to programs. I believe 2.2u (and associated ROM) take up more memory than 2.2g. So, the Kaypro 1 might be a tighter fit for AD than the Kaypro 10

bcc
January 21st, 2018, 05:40 PM
If AD was written for CP/M, disk density probably doesn't matter. I'm not familiar with the Kaypro 1 but in general a specific Kaypro CP/M version is linked to the system ROM version. Because of the ROM version, the Kaypro 10 can boot 2.2g but not 2.2u. Likewise, the Kaypro 1 ROM can boot 2.2u but not 2.2g. Despite the numbering, I believe a Kaypro 1 is actually more-advanced (newer) than the Kaypro 10. I'm pretty sure both of those systems have the same general floppy drive - DSDD 40-track drives.

One thought I had was memory requirements. If AD assumed it had enough memory (did not check the standard CP/M method for enough memory), it could get into trouble. I assume AD relies on getting most of it's data off the disk, and possibly program overlays, so it may need a certain amount of space on the disk - could it be not all files would fit and maybe the program is just spinning due to an unhandled error case?

Another thing is that Kaypro CP/M depends on the system ROM, and will map in that system ROM when making BIOS calls. The ROMs carve out space in high memory which must not be used by programs. This is typically not a problem as programs are supposed to check the BDOS entry and never use memory beyond that. But the ROMs also have different memory requirements which affects the amount of memory available to programs. I believe 2.2u (and associated ROM) take up more memory than 2.2g. So, the Kaypro 1 might be a tighter fit for AD than the Kaypro 10
=================================

Thanks for your reply.
Adding further info for clarity on my environment.

The floppy drives are formatted 390K DS/DD.
The ADventure software takes up 222K and there is 168K free on the diskette.

My K-10 is using the 81-302C BIOS...(the first K10 issue booting CP/M 2.2G). There is also a CP/M2.2h version, perhaps to support the high capacity floppy drives.

K-10 was released later on using the same basic board as the K-1, using the same BIOS (version 81-478-A).
The last 4 CP/M Kaypros released used the same BIOS and same basic bare boards and all used the CP/M 2.2U1.
It appears the differences were in the Board "Bill of Materials" changes. In the case of my K1 none of the SASI IC locations were populated unless a gate was also used in another area of the board. Likewise, no Modem parts were installed.

I believe these last boards are also known as a "Universal" board...(thus CP/M2.2U1).
So based on your reply above related to memory requirements, most likely I would experience this same issue with:
the K-2X w/modem and Clock;
the K-10 w/modem and clock;
the K-New 2;
and of course the K-1.

bcc
February 1st, 2018, 02:39 PM
OK, So I will just accept that CP/M 2.2U1 will not allow Adventure to load up.

I had a spare WD1002-05 and a spare mfm HD, so decided to upgrade my K1 to drive the hard disk.

-Added all the IC's and headers necessary on the K1 board..not too many really.

-Removed one floppy drive and selected the remaining drive as DS0 and with terminating resistor.

-Located a proto board the right size to be able to just plug it onto the 50-pin Kaypro J-9 port without any physical interference. This eliminates the 50-pin cable.

-Copied the existing 81-212 board that had been upgraded to the 81-212A version and drew the schematic (which I could not find anywhere).

-Wired up the board with 2 caps, 74LS00, 74LS138, 40 pin header pins for the WD connection and 50 pin female socket strip to plug into J-9.

-Burned the new 81-301C code into an erased 2732A.

-Connected up, formatted, flawed, read/write tested the entire HD.

-PUTSYSed the HD and now completed.

-Booting now with CP/M 2.2G and expecting the ADventure game to work flawlessly.

Just need to mount up the HD and WD1002.

In a round about way, my initial problem is solved!

Hopefully someone else can benefit from having access to the HD interface schematic between J-9 and the WD1002.

bcc
February 4th, 2018, 11:36 AM
And yes, After final assembly the Adventure game works great under CP/M 2.2g on my upgraded K1-10.