PDA

View Full Version : Some old Mini/mainframe...

livinginthestoneage
January 29th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I had an old computer that I was never able to do a thing with...I was also quite young, but I remember a big blue (not THAT big blue) cabinet, that stood over 6 feet tall, that we actually did have to move with a forklift. I didn't take too much of a look inside of it, but it was a Harris of some sort, appeared to be from the early 80's. Anyone here seen one of these? I've been able to find nothing on it.

SwedaGuy
February 26th, 2007, 09:31 AM
...it may have been a Data General system. The were big and blue up through the early to mid '80s. A lot of companies contracted to put their name on DG's equipment and sell it as their own. Sweda (where my handle comes from) was just one of many such companies.

I've got a lot of that stuff hanging around...

If there are any DG fans hanging around, I would recommend checking out www.simulogics.com for a Nova emulator and a lot of neat vintage pictures and documents...

Druid6900
February 26th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Could have been a Heidenburg as well. They were big and blue (notice a theme forming here) old mini that we ended up with after we took all the data off the disk-packs and tapes, did a little massaging and ported it to PCs for use, with, would you believe it, PC-MOS

SwedaGuy
February 27th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Could have been a Heidenburg as well. They were big and blue (notice a theme forming here) old mini that we ended up with after we took all the data off the disk-packs and tapes, did a little massaging and ported it to PCs for use, with, would you believe it, PC-MOS

I would, in fact, believe it...actually, the medical office software I mentioned on the PC-MOS thread was originally on the DG Eclipse systems, and ported to PC-MOS when licensing issues erupted between the s/w creator and DG.