PDA

View Full Version : NE2000 & mtcp

ScanDisk
January 27th, 2018, 02:39 PM
I am using an ne2000 card straight from novell.

I have loaded the packet driver's and they are working.

However when I run mtcp's DHCP program, it fails all three attempts.

I was also not able to obtain and IP, etc, with the same ne2000 card under windows 95, on my pentium 75mhz system.

I am using a wifi bridge, because we only have wifi in my home, but the bridge works perfectly fine when I use it on my modern systems, so I doubt that is the problem.

I've never had any problems automatically getting an IP once drivers were installed, before this.

BloodyCactus
January 27th, 2018, 03:25 PM
you need a dhcp server somewhere else (on the wifi or win95 machine), what do you have setup as an explicit dhcp server? did you set the mtcp configuration to use dhcp correctly?

mbbrutman
January 27th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Given that it doesn't work under Windows 95 either it is probably not an mTCP problem.

Test with a wired connection first and establish that the software (Windows 95 or mTCP) is not to blame. Then get more complicated with the wireless bridge.

glitch
January 27th, 2018, 03:35 PM
You also need to verify your settings on the packet driver. Just because it loads doesn't mean it's talking to the right port/memory address.

ScanDisk
January 27th, 2018, 03:53 PM
I will probably end up checking the settings tomorrow, I have a feeling It may not be the right one's.

I see everyone uses 0x60 so I just use that, but the card may indeed be set to something else.

SpidersWeb
January 27th, 2018, 04:14 PM
If it doesn't work under Windows 95 either, then I'd check it's jumpered to use whatever connector you're using.

According to a Novell, this is done by moving jumpers W1 through to W8 to the correct position. All in the lower position for BNC, all in the upper position for AUI.
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=1200390

ScanDisk
January 27th, 2018, 05:33 PM
If it doesn't work under Windows 95 either, then I'd check it's jumpered to use whatever connector you're using.

According to a Novell, this is done by moving jumpers W1 through to W8 to the correct position. All in the lower position for BNC, all in the upper position for AUI.
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=1200390

Thank You,

I have book marked the page for use tomorrow.

glitch
January 27th, 2018, 05:41 PM
0x60 is the packet interrupt number, that's almost certainly OK unless you're loading multiple packet drivers. You need to verify the board's interrupt and I/O settings though. If it's a NE2000 clone it's likely to be a "jumperless" type of card, in which case you'll need the setup utility, or do a lot of guess and check.

ScanDisk
January 27th, 2018, 05:54 PM
0x60 is the packet interrupt number, that's almost certainly OK unless you're loading multiple packet drivers. You need to verify the board's interrupt and I/O settings though. If it's a NE2000 clone it's likely to be a "jumperless" type of card, in which case you'll need the setup utility, or do a lot of guess and check.

Thank You.