PDA

View Full Version : External 3.5 floppy drives.

ScanDisk
February 1st, 2018, 02:20 PM
Obviously, external 3.5 drives can both read and write, however, I have had issues with mine before.

For example, I can format a floppy fine through the Windows Explorer, but when I go to format and write using win image, the driver crashes, the drive always remains on trying to do something, and I have to restart my computer before I can use it again.

I heard these drives can be finicky and unreliable, I am just wondering though, what's been your experience with these?

Stone
February 1st, 2018, 02:28 PM
Much the same as yours...

I mainly use them for viewing and transferring files although lately I've been using USB flash drives for that, even in DOS. I don't format disks on them. I use a tweener for that. But I've always preferred to format DOS floppies on a DOS machine as Windows can sometimes throw a wrench into that process.

Chuck(G)
February 1st, 2018, 02:57 PM
Exactly what kind of external 3.5" floppy drive?

roberttx
February 1st, 2018, 03:01 PM
Exactly what kind of external 3.5" floppy drive?

Excellent first question. Subsequent ones might include what interface, which OS version, etc.

ScanDisk
February 1st, 2018, 03:07 PM
Excellent first question. Subsequent ones might include what interface, which OS version, etc.

"BYTEC BT-144 USB Portable Diskette Drive"

Windows 7

Caluser2000
February 1st, 2018, 03:48 PM
I have had no problems with my usb fdd in linux.

Chuck(G)
February 1st, 2018, 03:50 PM
I've purchased at least 4 of the BYTEC units--each had a different USB floppy inside. Some good, some horrible. The Bytec units seem to use whatever's cheap and available.

I've had decent results with the Teac FD-05PUB.

Druid6900
February 4th, 2018, 07:26 AM
I've purchased at least 4 of the BYTEC units--each had a different USB floppy inside. Some good, some horrible. The Bytec units seem to use whatever's cheap and available.

I've had decent results with the Teac FD-05PUB.

Mine is the Teac as well and I have no complaints with it using it on Windows 10 (except that the OS won't let you format a DD diskette).