PDA

View Full Version : Reading SMC-70 disks

markgm
February 4th, 2018, 10:28 AM
I was messing around with ImageDisk and 22disk to back up some SMC-70 floppy disks I have. I noticed that I couldn't back up a few of them. Then I slowly noticed a pattern, the disks I couldn't read were OM-D3310 disks, while the disks I could read were OM-D3320. Comparing the disks side-by-side, I wonder if the size of the opening has anything to do with this.

Maybe I'll try to copy one of the OM-D3310 disks to a OM-D3320 disk, and then try to backup the disk again (though I currently only have one functioning drive). I thought the only difference between these disks was manual shutter versus auto shutter.

Chuck(G)
February 4th, 2018, 11:17 AM
I don't think that's it.

Try formatting a spare 3310 disk under 22Disk and then copying files to it. See if you can back that up.

My suspicion is that you're using factory-preformatted disks and there's a difference in the formatting pattern (one includes IAM, the other does not).

That's just a guess, however.

markgm
February 4th, 2018, 12:18 PM
That's interesting, I had no idea there were different (yet compatible) formatting patterns. I would have assumed both sets of disks would have been pre-formatted, but I vaguely remember formatting the disks that I can read before I started using them (30 years is a long enough time to forget though). Assuming formatting the 3310 disk in 22Disk fixes the issue, is there a way to read the remaining disks without copying them over to a new disk that can be read by the utility?