PDA

View Full Version : Floppy disk contents recovery on a Kaypro 4

mcfuzz89
February 5th, 2018, 11:44 PM
Hi all,

This is going to be a very very long shot.

A colleague of mine has a bunch of 5.25" diskettes from what he believes was a Kaypro of some kind (or at least a CP/M box) that a friend of his used roughly 30 years ago to write his PhD thesis. Unfortunately the friend passed away some time ago but the diskettes remained; my colleague figured he could try to recover the contents of the floppies and perhaps print the thesis to give to his friend widow.

Since I happen to have a mint condition Kaypro 4, we decided to try and read the contents of the diskettes and try to transfer the files. Unfortunately, despite the diskettes being marked as Wordstar and MailMerge working diskettes, my Kaypro is not able to read their contents. All I get is this when I try to read it through drive B after loading CP/M in drive A:

B: : : :
B: : :

Trying to load it directly in drive A culminates in slow drive clicking and eventually a message indicating "I cannot read your diskette". Every one of the provided diskettes does the same thing.

Any suggestions, or are we SOL?

SomeGuy
February 6th, 2018, 02:55 AM
I'd strongly suggest sending the disks to someone with experience using a Kryoflux. That way you can ensure all data including deleted data, partially bad sectors, and oddball formatting is dumped.

Roughly where are you located? Perhaps there is someone in your area that can help?

The different models of Kaypro CP/M machines are not all perfectly compatible with one another. The disk formats of CP/M machines generally varied wildly from computer model to model. With a Kryoflux or similar device none of that matters as one can get the bits off of the disks first and figure out what they mean later.

Chuck(G)
February 6th, 2018, 06:22 AM
If you'll image one of the disks (using a utility such as IMD), I'll be happy to have a look at it and tell you what you're up against.

It could be that this isn't a Kaypro 4 format at all--I've been sent batches of floppies that the owner claimed was from one machine, but had forgotten that he'd owned another years ago. I'm pretty good at this.

mcfuzz89
February 9th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply.

How would I go about creating an image of the disk? I assume I'd need a 5.25" USB drive or something along those lines? I do have my kaypro ghetto-networked lol...

SomeGuy
February 9th, 2018, 10:55 AM
There are no USB 5.25" drives (as there are 1.44mb drives), and even if there were they would be crippled to only read MS-DOS formats.

What you need is either a PC with a real floppy disk controller and 5.25" drive, or a "modern" device with a Kryoflux or Supercard Pro and a 5.25" drive.

On a real PC, you would run the ImageDisk program: http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm this can read any MFM encoded (double density) disks in to a sector image file. Depending on your floppy controller it may also read FM encoded (single density) disks. Real floppy controllers can not read or write GCR encoded disks used by Apple II, Commodore 64, and some others.

I *think* all the Kaypro formats are MFM/double density.

On the other hand, a Kryoflux and SuperCard pro are designed to read every piece of flux from the disk. This permits copying of most copy protection, archival without the full knowledge of the underlying disk format, and advanced error handling.

For more details see this thread: https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/7877/a-comparison-of-current-disk-archival-tools

mcfuzz89
February 9th, 2018, 03:27 PM
There are no USB 5.25" drives (as there are 1.44mb drives), and even if there were they would be crippled to only read MS-DOS formats.

What you need is either a PC with a real floppy disk controller and 5.25" drive, or a "modern" device with a Kryoflux or Supercard Pro and a 5.25" drive.

On a real PC, you would run the ImageDisk program: http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm this can read any MFM encoded (double density) disks in to a sector image file. Depending on your floppy controller it may also read FM encoded (single density) disks. Real floppy controllers can not read or write GCR encoded disks used by Apple II, Commodore 64, and some others.

I *think* all the Kaypro formats are MFM/double density.

On the other hand, a Kryoflux and SuperCard pro are designed to read every piece of flux from the disk. This permits copying of most copy protection, archival without the full knowledge of the underlying disk format, and advanced error handling.

For more details see this thread: https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/7877/a-comparison-of-current-disk-archival-tools

Thanks for the write-up!

So - a bit more info. Apparently these floppies may have come from a TRS-80... does this change things in any way?

ldkraemer
February 9th, 2018, 04:29 PM
That changes things a bit. The Kaypro only had 7 CP/M Definitions to work with. The TRS-80 has a lot more
CP/M definitions, and numerous version of Dos. TRSDOS, LDOS, MultiDOS, NewDOS80, and on and on.

I sent you a PM. Have you read it?

Larry

Ruth
June 22nd, 2018, 08:46 AM
I just found this thread when searching for ideas on how I might copy off old files from the 5.25's of my ca.1983 Kaypro. That project has been on a back burner for decades now, but having just come across a bunch of old floppies, I did a google search. I'll be glad to come back to this when I have time and inclination to take on the project, and am delighted to discover this group.

But I'm responding now specifically to mcfuzz89. I'm sure you thought of this, but in case you have not, be aware that virtually all universities store student thesis/dissertations on microfilm in their library, or thru this database:https://www.lib.umich.edu/database/open-access-theses-and-dissertations . It would be a much easier way to find a copy of your friend's thesis. Good luck.