PDA

View Full Version : Sanyo MBC 1000 - "Boot Error !" with any disk

jbradshaw77
March 29th, 2018, 11:55 PM
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Brief history/intro:

I have in my possession an old Sanyo MBC-1000 CP/M computer, which I obtained via eBay. We used to have one of the exact model in the house 20 something years ago, and as such, I still have the disks from then that my mother would write and save her documents to.

I have wanted to be able to read these disks again, and so I kept an eye out for another MBC 1000, and finally got this one a year ago. The computer was being sold as is.

The issue is that I have been unable to boot to anything on it. The computer appears to turn on just fine, and I have used Floppiclene to clean the disk heads out numerous times. I have attempted to use a number of the old CP/M boot disks that came with the machine, as well as purchasing a custom-made (for Sanyo) boot disk via a reputable seller on eBay. Each time I try to boot from them, I always get the same message and nothing else: "Boot Error! "

My questions are:

Does anyone know what, if anything I am doing wrong? Or, does it sound like something in the computer is faulty?

and

If I cannot get the machine working, is there a way I can somehow read the contents of these disks on a different machine using a 5 1/4" floppy drive?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
J

ldkraemer
March 31st, 2018, 09:53 AM
J,
yes, it's possible to read those CP/M floppy's after you have created an Image of them with IMAGEDISK ver 1.18.
Then the image (filename.IMD) can be accessed with cpmtools (or cpmtools built with libdsk). But, you will need
a couple of floppy definitions for cpmtools and libdsk, as that format is not included.

The best thing you can do is find a person with a DOS machine that can run Imagedisk ver 1.18 and create
Images of the floppy's you want to access. Then, using Windows, or Linux you can install cpmtools and
access the floppy's information.

There is also 22DISK by SYDEX, that runs on a DOS machine and copy's files to DOS.

Larry

Chuck(G)
March 31st, 2018, 10:08 AM
Have you had the unit open? Very often, the floppy drive's lubrication dries up and the head carriage no longer moves well. You'll have to remove the floppy drive to clean it, but it sometimes results in success.

Dwight Elvey
March 31st, 2018, 11:03 AM
It looks to be a belt drive. Make sure the belt is driving the disk and that there are no lumps of rubber from the belt stuck on the flywheel or motor pulley. As well as what Chuck has said. I usually move the head out a few tracks to see if the stepper and guides are working well. Different drives have different ways to move the heads. Sometimes it has a snail like thing, sometimes a threaded rod and some times a taught band. Which ever case, you can turn the stepper output shaft to move the head out some. On reset, the head should be clearly seen to move back to track 0.
Dwight

jbradshaw77
March 31st, 2018, 11:49 AM
Thank you all for the very informative and prompt replies. Based on your responses, I will most likely attempt to go ahead and open the computer up and see if I can become familiar with its mechanics so that I can mess about with the drive. Will let you all know of any developments -- thank you again!