PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a TI Business Pro System?

jp!
March 30th, 2018, 04:04 PM
I stumbled on this keyboard which goes to a TI Business Professional computer. The keyboard is very nice to type on with light clicky tactile Alps switches. This keyboard has some features which were quite advanced for the time such as N-key rollover, variable height adjustment, TIPC and PC AT capabilities, programmable typamatic transmission, and extra dummy keys which could be programmed as needed. The TI Business Pro system seems pretty obscure or rare these days as I don't see much online regarding these systems besides references in old magazines or old manuals archived online. It's fun learning about some of these systems, especially from folks who might have used them years ago or from someone who happens to own them. On this note, does anyone here have a TI Business Pro System or did anyone use one?

Alphasite
March 31st, 2018, 09:02 AM
When I worked at TI my group had a bunch of TIBPs so I used one every day. They were big, heavy, and had lots of slots.

2icebitn
March 31st, 2018, 01:51 PM
14 to be exact. Although most people are probably unaware that there were IBM compatible versions of the TIPC and TIPPC (even a 286 version), the BP was TI's first stock compatible.

jp!
April 1st, 2018, 05:38 PM
Were you an engineer? What kind of programs did you run on them?

jp!
April 1st, 2018, 05:40 PM
Interesting, I didn't realize there were other IBM compatible versions of those systems. Wow, 14 of them! Those must take up a lot of space. Do you have any up and running?

Alphasite
April 3rd, 2018, 07:49 PM
Were you an engineer? What kind of programs did you run on them?

Yes, I was an engineer. We used the TIBPs for the usual stuff like editing files, terminal emulation (3270, VT100, and 914), etc. We also had some that interfaced with test equipment and a couple that were file servers. I can't remember what software we used but it was XNS and not TCP/IP.

2icebitn
April 3rd, 2018, 09:38 PM
I don't have a BP. I was offered one for 10$ once but without the external case and kb. I turned it down.