PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Tech support(Hillarious!!)

Yzzerdd
February 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Ok so I have an AT&T 6300. I wiped the HD without backing it up and needed a clock disk for it. I figured while I was needing a disk, to find all small business disks too. So I emailed AT&T, and they gave me a number. I called a number, but it was for High-Speed internet. I finally was able to find a real person to chat with. I asked her for those Floppy disks. She told me she couldn't find the CD's. I repeated this 3 times. She said she understood my computer was a 6300, and asked for the brand name. I replied "AT&T." she said it was impossible, AT&T never made a computer, so I decided to prove it. I told her I have a full AT&T system, and was looking at the manuals and an 1986 AT&T catalog. She proceeded to deny AT&T ever made a computer. Finally she says, Oh, my co-worker informed me we did make computers
way-back-when. So as I figured, she told me she would never know where to be gin to even aquire a disk so old, and that she was surprised My computer still worked. Long story short, I am now content knowing They don't have the disk, and I educated a 20 year old.

Anyone else have any funny stories of this type?

Also, if any one has ANY AT&T computer related items, please contact me at UniversalRiot@Hotmail.com, as I need to purchase some.

ahm
February 20th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Not surprising.
Large companies don't have a corporate memory; there's no profit in it.

Anyway, if what you're looking for is CLOCK.SYS, I might be able to help out.

EvanK
February 20th, 2007, 07:31 PM
There are a few companies that are very good at appreciating their own history. Some that come to mind (based on my personal experience) are Casio, Epson, and HP. So I propose changing this thread (Sorry, Yzzerdd!) ... which companies have you found GOOD to deal with for historic purposes?

NathanAllan
February 20th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Just for kicks I called Compaq asking for help on a LTE 386/SX20. I was asking for help on getting it to dial up to the net(it was already hooked up and running, this was a "social experiment"). He asked me what OS I had and I told him win95. Then he asked me what speed my processor was, and I told him "twenty megahertz" and he replied, "Do you mean 2.0 GIGAhertz?" When I told him no, then he told me that it wasn't capable of getting online. Even though I was already using it online.

After that, he gave me a customer number and a new one year warranty on the laptop! I never used it and it's since run out but it's a story for the books.

Nathan

carlsson
February 20th, 2007, 11:59 PM
How can they extend warranty for a product they don't recognize?

NathanAllan
February 21st, 2007, 06:08 AM
I have no idea, but when I explored it the warranty was for a PDA of some kind. I didn't ask any more questions, it was just funny that they did it.