PDA

View Full Version : Commodore parts wanted: TED chip(s) and PET peripheral cable

billdeg
January 26th, 2004, 06:05 AM
I am looking for
[1] TED chips for Plus/4/C16/C116 computers and
[2] Commodore PET peripheral cables such as the one you'd use to hook up a 4050 drive to a PET 2001 and/or PET II to a 8050 drive.

I will purchase or trade.

Please email billdeg@aol.com - thanks.

barryp
January 26th, 2004, 06:15 PM
I am looking for
[2] Commodore PET peripheral cables such as the one you'd use to hook up a 4050 drive to a PET 2001 and/or PET II to a 8050 drive.

If you could describe the cable, it might be createable...

billdeg
January 26th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I have a 8050 Dual Floppy Drive - Single Sided/Quad Density format, 512k per disk side, that I want to hook up to a Commodore B128 (PET II type system). They use IEEE-488 cables. I need the cable to make this connection. I thought I had the right one, but I was wrong.

carlsson
January 27th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Good luck with finding TED chips - from what I've understood, it is one of the first or most common thing to break down in those computers (like a few other ULAs), so either you have a complete machine or you have a spare parts machine except for a TED.

billdeg
October 28th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Yup - Never buy a plus/4 C16 from Ebay unless the seller shows or can produce a picture of the purple ready prompt. I have many "mint Condition" plus/4's that sit on a shelf waiting for a TED chip. Still looking for them if anyone reads this post.

carlsson
October 29th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Ouch. I suppose there is no hidden warehouse of old chips left, or if there ever was, someone is sitting on those chips asking $200 or more per chip.

The Oric (UK computer very popular in France) community suffered from a similar thing; their ULAs also broke down frequently and it was a great deal of grief from Oric owners or buyers with broken machines. Earlier this year however a warehouse or previous manufacturer was traced, and by finding a "company" to buy from the warehouse, a combined order was placed to get as many chips as the active users need. Apparently the stock was large enough to satisfy everyone and a little more, and from what I understood, there was no risk that the warehouse would dump remaining chips in the sea so they didn't have to buy everything. That's a success story.

Regarding the cable, it may be easier since I think IEEE-488 was a common industrial standard (hence the IEEE marking). Did you find any cable or at least information about the involved interfaces so someone can roll a cable?

Exluddite
October 29th, 2004, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure if this helps you, but I came across this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5111419799

MOS 6526 chip. The guy wants $8 for them, and he has 5.

billdeg
October 30th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Exluddite - thanks, but unfortunately no. I send the seller an email to see if he has 8501R1 chips (TED).

Tim Wellman
October 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM
searching here brings up hits on the chip
http://www.doom.com/
although there's something fishy about a website that makes you become a member before getting indepth results of searches... but, it did list around 40 of the chips available. I can't vouch for the site, I didn't become a member :-)

tachyon
October 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM
IEEE 488 cables are actually quite common if you look for HPIB cables. I've got a few lying around here for an HP project I'm working on, but I think I gave $2 each for them on eBay.

tachyon

carlsson
October 30th, 2004, 11:40 AM
The 6526 is a CIA (I/O) chip, which is much more common - it sits in pairs in every C64 and maybe C128 too? Also I believe there are GAL replacements of that chip.

Good luck on that other site, but I doubt it contains any unknown secrets. OTOH, I don't follow the Plus/4 scene close enough to know if most people have solved their TED needs.

Exluddite
October 30th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Ok, thanks Carlsson. I'm not really familiar with the innards of that machine. Truth be told, I've never really taken an older machine (pre 286) apart. Theres a good reason for that too. As much as I've always been one to take things apart and "find out what makes them tick", I could just imagine my parents coming in on me taking the cover off the (then brand new) TRS-80.
Sometimes the instinct for self preservation overrides curiosity!

Exluddite
November 11th, 2004, 11:09 PM
I came across these guys while surfing about and checked for 8501R1:

http://www.electrospec-inc.com/part/search.asp?search_db=true&partnum=+8501R1&mode=part&x=64&y=17

Apparently, they have them.

carlsson
November 12th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Almost 600 "TED" chips in stock, in practise only selling to companies in the US? Well, maybe it is worth a try.

billdeg
December 23rd, 2004, 01:53 PM
I am following up...I have come upon some ted chips and ieee cables, through many hours of searching and emails. thanks for all of your help. I will still buy them/trade for them if anyone has any, but I won't pay $50 like some vendors have them priced.