PDA

View Full Version : winter storms

GraceUGrad2006
March 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM
I am not sure if it global warming but have you noticed in the past week the severity of the storms. I live in Council Bluffs Iowa and today we had one of the worst blizzards reported since 1998. They closed pretty much everything and the schools are all closed tommorow too because of the heavy winds and blowing snow plus the street cleaners need to clean.

Terry Yager
March 1st, 2007, 05:52 PM
La Nina is early this year...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/28/tech/main2523483.shtml

--T

Druid6900
March 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
Oh, well, just another winter day in Canada.

25 - 35 CM of snow (10 to 14 inches) followed by freezing rain.

It'll be business as usual tomorrow.

Sure glad I live in the southernmost part of Canada :D

Mad-Mike
March 1st, 2007, 11:31 PM
Seattle weather is always weird, has been since I moved out here 2-3 years ago...

The other day, I had a de-install/reinstall hardware project, sun was shining, nice 28 mile drive from Everett to Mercer Island, sun was shining, took me about 30 less minutes than I thought to get there. There was some mild snow when I left but I thought nothing of it.....

Now the ride back, that was a different, and much more interesting story, the weather would get darker and progressively crazier as I headed home, lol. I left Mercer Island with the sun shining, this continued through Redmond, then I got to Bothell, and suddenly, HAIL!!!! Little pea sized hail, but hail none the less...

By the time I hit Everett, it had gone from Hail, to heavy snow, and having lived in Alabama for 18 years before, you can guess my snow driving experience, nada, zilch, lol.

Anyway, I went from doing 60 MPH in the sun, to 25 MPH in 2nd gear on what was basically a highway. I had to put my truck into second or I'd gear up too much power and start to fishtail when I took off. Snow was coming down hard too, driving against a black sky would have looked like the Atari 2600 STarmaster game screen, lol.

Come back out the next morning to finish the project, boom, I walk outside, my truck has 2 inches of snow all over it, opening the doors it was so dark from the snow on the windows I could have slept happily in there. I back out, using a snow skid to straighten myself out into the parking lot, and take off towards the interstate slowly and carefully, with about a 5.25" deep pile of snow on my hood from clearing my windows.

Driving down the instertate was highly amusing, every so often, a huge chunk of snow would fly off my truck and hit the interstate, or poor hapless drivers behind me, not like I was alone, I had a van tossing that stuff on my car, it was like a big hand-me-down of snow.

By the time I got back to Mercer, I still had 2" of snow on my roof, which stayed there the 2 hours I worked. It was only gone by the time I got home, and only by then, had the snow melted enough I could do 45 on the street without worrying about taking out one of those drive through cappuchino stands by accident.

Either way, I think I did pretty well for a first timer in the snow, I did not crash, only fishtailed a little bit on a few hills where I punched up the gas too much, and had a few amusing moments where I felt bad for the person behind me because I had a foot of snow on my hood that was flying off at about 45 MPH.

Terry Yager
March 1st, 2007, 11:41 PM
Bot Hell??? I think I've been there a few timez. Figgerz it'd be somewhere in the vacinity of Redmond...

--T

CP/M User
March 2nd, 2007, 12:39 AM
GraceUGrad2006 wrote:

I am not sure if it global warming but have you noticed in the past week the severity of the storms. I live in Council Bluffs Iowa and today we had one of the worst blizzards reported since 1998. They closed pretty much everything and the schools are all closed tommorow too because of the heavy winds and blowing snow plus the street cleaners need to clean.

At the moment the Back of Burke has one thing in common with Melbourne, little water. The place is virtually bone dry and the bush tells the story with the plants - a good drop of rain and they'll spring back to life.

Mad-Mike
March 2nd, 2007, 05:47 AM
Bot Hell??? I think I've been there a few timez. Figgerz it'd be somewhere in the vacinity of Redmond...

--T

Bot Hell is close to where I live, actually, Bothell was home to Sierra On-Line (ya' know, Al Lowe and Leisure Suit Larry, and Kings Quest) during the late 80's or so I read somewhere. I also heard Al Lowe still lives around here.

Redmond is the only town in Washington State someone's been an asshat to me in, so apparently, somethings in the water or something to make a certain company do the things they do.

Terry Yager
March 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Here's a lady who really is in BotHell:

http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStory.cfm?ArticleID=6873

--T