PDA

View Full Version : And Away We Go!!!

curtis
March 2nd, 2007, 05:57 PM
Over the next couple of days I'll be auctioning off an Amiga 1000, Amiga 500, a Supradrive 4X4 for the Amiga 1000, and a Fujitsu Stylistic 500. Auctions will be on ebay, of course!

Right now all I've got posted is the A1000, so if someone wants to make me an incredible offer prior to the postings, ya better hurry!

Best way to see them is to just do a search for my ebay account of mcmccain.

Curtis

Unknown_K
March 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Good luck with your reserve auction, I never bid on those.

curtis
March 3rd, 2007, 05:32 AM
Good luck with your reserve auction, I never bid on those.

Normally, I don't use reserve, but on these I wanted to ensure I got at least somewhat they're worth.

Even when I do use a reserve, I try to make it reasonable.

The Amiga 1000 has already hit it's reserve, so that'll give you an idea of where I try to set them.

Curtis

Unknown_K
March 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
If you have a minimum you want then start the auction at that price. You turn away alot of bidders when they know putting in the initial bid will not win them the item.

curtis
March 3rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
If you have a minimum you want then start the auction at that price. You turn away alot of bidders when they know putting in the initial bid will not win them the item.

Not always. The reserve is what protects the seller.

A minimum is strictly that, the minimum price you'll start the bidding at.

I know what I've got in the system and I know what I expect to get for it. However, sometimes the market will suddenly go soft and things go for crazily cheap prices. A reserve protects the seller against that.

Also, if an item closes and doesn't make the reserve, I have the option of selling it to the highest bidder either through him/her accepting the reserve of my going ahead and accepting their highest bid.

I do agree with you tho, that as a general rule, I don't care for reserve auctions. But sometimes, you gotta protect your investment.

Anytime I put a reserve on an item, it's a reasonable amount just to keep my backside from being too exposed and keep me from losing too much money.

I suppose I could just start the bidding at my reserve price, but tends to slow down the bidding process AND raises ebay's fees!

Curtis

curtis
March 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Oh, another thing, how many times does an initial bid win the auction?

If it's something good, not very often. If it's a marginal item, maybe.

If the seller puts the opening bid W A Y up there, there may not even be an opening bid.

Curtis

Unknown_K
March 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
I have won plenty of items with just the initial opening bid. Being something "good" is subjective, if I did not think it was good why would I bid?

Amiga machines all tend to get bid up unless the opening bid is insane.

From what I have heard, if you sell in quantity you probably make more money overall listing something at $1 with no reserve (things tend to get multiple bids). That would not work out if you only sell a few items.

Many people have told me they do not bid on reserve auctions, so its not just me.