PDA

View Full Version : Commodore 64 cassette problems

redmourninglight
March 3rd, 2007, 07:16 AM
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a commodore 64 which appears to be in full working order apart from that when i type LOAD to load a cassette it does not reply with 'press play on tape' as i understand it is meant to, but instead the whole screen goes a light blue colour, and nothing happens. its probably my ultimate noobishness, as i've never even seen a commodore 64 in real life before, but could you please give me some advice,
thanks, Louis

dongfeng
March 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Funny you should say that. My VIC-20 doesn't display the "press play on tape" either - it just goes straight to the "loading" text.

80sFreak
March 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
I just did a quick test on my C64 + datasette.. If I have the Play button already depressed and then enter "LOAD", it goes directly to "SEARCHING", which gives you the light blue screen. But if the Play button is not already depressed and I enter "LOAD" I get "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE", which when I do displays "SEARCHING" then turns the display light blue.

Try a different datasette to see if the same thing happens...

Cheers,

80sFreak

PhotoJim
March 3rd, 2007, 07:18 PM
If the cassette unit is connected and you have the play, fast forward or rewind buttons depressed, the C64 will think the tape is running. The screen blanking like that is thus very normal.

If you don't have buttons depressed or you don't have a Datassette unit, then that tells me you have a hardware problem of some sort.

redmourninglight
March 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks for those responses, i'll see if i can try and get another datasette incase thats the problem, i have noticed that if i press RUN/STOP and RESTORE when the screen is blue it comes up as ?BREAK ERROR i don't know if thats any help,
but thanks to all those who have helped, as i am completely puzzled (p.s when the datasette plays is it meant to make a very loud noise)
and thanks again, Louis

carlsson
March 5th, 2007, 01:11 AM
If you only press RUN/STOP, it should report ?BREAK ERROR. If you press both RUN/STOP and RESTORE, it should clear screen and only say READY. The Datassette should not make any noises at all, neither itself nor on screen. If the screen goes blank as soon as you enter LOAD without any button on the tape recorder depressed, it indeed sounds like you have a hardware problem, perhaps a short somewhere.