PDA

View Full Version : How I clean my CRT's

computerdude92
September 18th, 2018, 08:16 AM
Just using water and a cloth makes my CRT screen look smudgy, so instead i've been using clean paper towels dipped in 70% rubbing alcohol and rubbing it on the CRT screen quickly, circular, or back and forth, up and down, side to side, and then finish up with a dry paper towel. I've been doing it for years with no trouble. I don't see any damage to the screen. It makes them look brand new. They don't even appear to lose their anti-static/anti-glare coating. What do you think of my cleaning method?

Stone
September 18th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Since CRTs are GLASS I've always cleaned them Windex. :-)

computerdude92
September 18th, 2018, 09:08 AM
I've heard Windex can damage the screen but I've never tried it. But if it works well for you, that's good.

Chuck(G)
September 18th, 2018, 09:10 AM
A spray bottle with distilled water and a few drops of clear household ammonia does it for me. You may need more if you're accustomed to eating peanut-butter sandwiches or barbecued ribs with sauce while operating your touch-screen (yes, CRTs had them too).

Mr.Amiga500
September 18th, 2018, 09:29 AM
I've never used "Windex". I don't trust the random cost-cutting formulations by whatever corporate group happens to own the current brand.

For glass, I just use white vinegar in distilled water.

Unknown_K
September 18th, 2018, 11:01 AM
I use cheap Dollar store cleaners.

For glossy LCD screens I use Drivers Choice Glass and Surface Cleaner with Ammonia streak free
For CRT I use LA's Totally Awesome Streak Free Window Clean Vinegar Formula.

Some harsh cleaners can destroy old CRTs with anti glare coatings, but they wont hurt the tubes themselves.

SomeGuy
September 18th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Just keep in mind that ammonia and alcohol can be a bit too harsh on CRTs with an anti-glare coating. You don't want to pull off the anti-glare stuff. Well, it does seem people these days like monitors that double as a mirror.

booboo
September 18th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Just keep in mind that ammonia and alcohol can be a bit too harsh on CRTs with an anti-glare coating. You don't want to pull off the anti-glare stuff. Well, it does seem people these days like monitors that double as a mirror.

This is the only reason you should care if it's water, vinegar, Windex, Dollar Tree, etc. If it's plain glass, anything will work. Of course, if the screen has a nylon mesh anti-glare then that's even more fragile than the coating! :(

retro-pc_user
September 18th, 2018, 12:59 PM
I just use the glasses cleaner wipe (the ones that come with a new pair of glasses) on my CRTs or just a small damp towel with just water only and wipe it clean slowly, but, surely, and softly.

Chuck(G)
September 18th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Back in the day when I used a lot of CRTs, I used a few drops (read the bottle) of Kodak Photo-flo wetting agent in water. Gives a great streak-free result. Now, I don't bother much with LCDs, however--I probably should. Great stuff for cleaning glass in general.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41xWbpyzuFL.jpg

Stone
September 18th, 2018, 03:03 PM
... I used a few drops (read the bottle) of Kodak Photo-flo wetting agent......which is basically just alcohol (the kind used in antifreeze) and water.

KC9UDX
September 18th, 2018, 03:39 PM
I've never used "Windex". I don't trust the random cost-cutting formulations by whatever corporate group happens to own the current brand.

SC Johnson. Probably going on 30 years, and not likely to change soon.

They're not known for "cheaping out". Obviously though if Uncle Sam outlaws ammonia...

Chuck(G)
September 18th, 2018, 05:36 PM
...which is basically just alcohol (the kind used in antifreeze) and water.

According to the MSDS, after water, it's mostly propylene glycol (30%), which isn't as widely used as conventional antifreeze as its lighter cousin ethylene glycol. Quite a bit is used to make thermoset plastics, however. At any rate, it's not what you'd use for a martini.

Hugo Holden
September 18th, 2018, 05:56 PM
I have always been impressed with Windex for any glass or lens cleaning application. I always use it on the faces of all my CRT's. I also have used it on the objective lenses of operating microscopes for cataract surgery. Then I got to talking with an Optical Engineer from Zeiss, I was stunned to learn that at their factory they use Windex to clean the optical elements of camera & microscope systems. One reason he said they did this, is apparently, among its other constituents, Windex contains a very small amount of Copper sulphate. This is an inhibitor of the growth of Fungal elements on glass surfaces and films on glass surfaces that can be eaten away by Fungi.

KC9UDX
September 18th, 2018, 07:09 PM
According to the MSDS, after water, it's mostly propylene glycol (30%), which isn't as widely used as conventional antifreeze as its lighter cousin ethylene glycol. Quite a bit is used to make thermoset plastics, however. At any rate, it's not what you'd use for a martini.

It's used quite a bit in industrial chillers.

Chuck(G)
September 18th, 2018, 07:15 PM
A favorite of mine long ago was Corning's "Sight Savers" liquid. Also blue--and anti-fog. Bausch and Lomb bought the product line eons ago and still sells the stuff (http://www.bausch.com/our-products/safety-and-industrial-cleaning-products/liquid-cleaning-fluids/liquid-cleaning-fluids)

NeXT
September 18th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Windex
Window Cleaner
Blue glass cleaner
Whatever

I couldn't give enough of a damn what it is so long as it doesn't leave obvious streaks or takes forever to dry. Pretty much ANY window cleaning solution will work.

KC9UDX
September 18th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Even WD-40 works with enough elbow grease.

computerdude92
September 19th, 2018, 03:34 AM

Well, even though I do use straight 70% Isopropyl alcohol, none of my monitors resemble a mirror. Nothing reflects on the screen when the monitor is on and i'm doing my usual stuff, like browsing the Internet, except for the obvious ceiling lights if the monitor's in the view.

Chuck(G)
September 19th, 2018, 08:14 AM
Even WD-40 works with enough elbow grease.

...or bacon fat?

KC9UDX
September 19th, 2018, 04:44 PM
...or bacon fat?

Possibly. I don't know how good that is at removing dirt though.

Agent Orange
September 19th, 2018, 05:45 PM
The best way I know to clean a CRT is to get my wife to do it. :rolleyes: