PDA

View Full Version : scott adams games on the vic 20

vic user
February 3rd, 2004, 10:17 AM
I don't know how many of you have played any of his text adeventure games on a vic 20, but boy oh boy I think they could have picked better colours for the text.

I would end up with a headache if i had to play the games with the colours used.

I wish I could change the text colours, but as a consolation to that, I change the screen colours to at least get the text to show up as well as possible.

I just poke in:

This is the best screen / text combo I have found for his games on a vic 20.

Anyone else have a good combo for them?

Chris

p.s. Of course i never had to worry about this on my apple II with green phospor monitor, when i was a kid :)

carlsson
February 3rd, 2004, 01:03 PM
Hmm.. I can't remember my "Pirate's Cove" changing the background color from the default white/cyan. But maybe it is the cyan and yellow text on white background you can't stand?

vic user
February 3rd, 2004, 01:16 PM
I should just boot up my vic to find out, but too lazy :)

I think he uses 3 colours for the different text stuff, and the one I have a hard time with is the magenta.

if you get around to it, try value 125...

nice mellow yellow backround with green border.

text comes up very well with that value.

chris

carlsson
February 3rd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Ok, doing it right now.

I am in a Flat in london. Flight of stairs. Sign says "Bring *TREASURES* here, say: SCORE". Bottle of rum. Rug. Safety sneakers. Sack of crackers.

* Welcome to Adventure number 2: "pirate adventure" by Alexis & Scott Adams, dedicated: Ted Heeren & Paul Sharland. Remember you can always ask for "help".

What shall I do now?

It seems room descriptions are in green, computer responses in blue and user input in red. Even the green is clearly visible against the brown-whitish background (which is much whiter on a composite monitor than a RF TV).

Changing the background colour to yellow (which the value 125 does) makes it even harder to read.

vic user
February 3rd, 2004, 03:40 PM
I just tried both as well, using a 1701 monitor.

I think I can't handle bright backgrounds. I seem to focus on it more than the text.

Thus, using the yellow, makes the text stand out for me more.

Plus we perceive things differently obviously.

and that i have better taste ;)

Chris

vic user
February 3rd, 2004, 04:27 PM
Well Anders, I concede.

You have better taste.

I fired up Adventureland, and asked my daughter which screen she like best, and even with some suggestive inflections with my voice when I showed her the one I liked, she asked for the game to go back to the original screen.

Hmm, time for glasses?

Chris

carlsson
February 3rd, 2004, 11:55 PM
Maybe you prefer light text on dark background? Some people do, although I'm not one of those. It is said to be nicer to your eyes, but I feel more strained. You may want to fiddle with brightness and contrast settings too. My teacher in the graphics course teached a way to set those optimally, but I've forgot how. Often I end up with maximum contrast and adjust brightness after that.

Btw, note the typos in Pirate Adventure: london with lower case l but Flat with capital F.

vic user
February 4th, 2004, 04:05 AM
I think you could be right Anders.

Whenever I am going to just be programming on the vic, the first thing I do is boot up my 'welcome' program, which sets the screen the way I like etc..

And I use value 110 for the screen.. Blue background and blue border.

And I use bright white text.

I have never used an Amiga, (sniff) but isn't the default screen blue with white text? I recall seeing Jim Butterfield (years ago), on TV and he was explaining something on an Amiga, and it had blue screen with white text. I loved it!

Chris

vic user
February 4th, 2004, 04:06 AM
I will check out the typos too!

Chris

carlsson
February 4th, 2004, 07:22 AM
I have never used an Amiga, (sniff) but isn't the default screen blue with white text?

The default CLI and Workbench colours in AmigaOS up to version 1.3 were white text/graphics on full blue background. Of course it can be set to something else. Since AmigaOS 2.x, the default colours are black text/graphics on medium light grey background. Not black on white then, but dark text on lighter background.

So, someone like you should prefer pre-1992 Amigas or something.