PDA

View Full Version : VHS Cart: "Inside Disk Drives" 1994 from CSC

Chuck(G)
October 4th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I've never played this (NTSC) VHS cart, so I can't say what's on it. It just came with a bunch of other stuff from Sunnyvale's Corporate Systems Center. It's dated 1994.

Bulleted points are:

How they work
Installation
Operation
Troubleshooting

As I no longer have the setup to play this thing, perhaps someone would like to have this.

Unknown_K
October 4th, 2018, 03:51 PM
If nobody else wants it (should ship media mail for next to nothing in the US) I can get it digitized.

Chuck(G)
October 4th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Less'n someone speaks up by the end of tomorrow, it's yours.

Unknown_K
October 4th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Yea, give people a few days since everyone isn't glued to the forum like me. Is this a tech DEMO video that might have some cool information or just a sales tool?

Chuck(G)
October 4th, 2018, 04:31 PM
As I recall, it came with my copy of "The Hard Drive Bible". Past that, I don't know a thing, as I've never looked at it.

Unknown_K
October 4th, 2018, 06:11 PM
More technical and interesting then.

Trixter
October 5th, 2018, 12:33 PM
I'd like it, actually. I'll send a PM (and I'll do my usual transfer magic on it and upload it somewhere once done).

Chuck(G)
October 5th, 2018, 12:38 PM
You got it!

ScanDisk
October 12th, 2018, 03:51 PM
I'd like it, actually. I'll send a PM (and I'll do my usual transfer magic on it and upload it somewhere once done).

Can't wait to watch your transfer once done.

Trixter
October 16th, 2018, 04:03 PM
The tape arrived in the mail today and I'll start transferring it. It looks like it only has about 10-15 minutes' of material on it, so it might be more of a CSC advertisement than anything else, but we'll find out tonight.

Unknown_K
October 16th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Looking forward to the 4k Dolby TrueHD 7.1 video conversion. ;)

Trixter
October 16th, 2018, 05:29 PM
The tape is 50% marketing for CSC services and 50% information (with much of it about SCSI). I'm thinking of editing out the marketing parts, as CSC doesn't exist any more and it's just filler. Opinions?

lutiana
October 16th, 2018, 05:36 PM
The tape is 50% marketing for CSC services and 50% information (with much of it about SCSI). I'm thinking of editing out the marketing parts, as CSC doesn't exist any more and it's just filler. Opinions?

Hmm, I'd say upload an unedited version and an edited version. That way we get the best of both worlds.

Unknown_K
October 16th, 2018, 05:36 PM
I would keep it all for historical purposes, people can fast forward to the stuff that interest them. As you said it was a short tape anyway. Or you can can make 2 videos (whole and the good stuff).

Trixter
October 16th, 2018, 05:38 PM
Going to post the entire video. Starting my patented* restoration process.

*not actually patented

Edit: No video posting tonight, as 1. Adobe released new versions and I'm updating now, and 2. Youtube is hella broken right now (https://gizmodo.com/whoops-youtube-is-hella-broken-right-now-1829801525).

Chuck(G)
October 16th, 2018, 06:24 PM

Is that true? I thought Martin had combined forces with Digital Loggers and moved to digs on Walsh in Santa Clara. Are they now OOB?

Trixter
October 16th, 2018, 06:34 PM
I don't know, I'm going off of their old website address (down) and the business listing for Corporate Systems Center (defunct). I hadn't heard of them until tonight. What was their core business? The video makes it seem like they were a reseller that provided integration services.

Chuck(G)
October 16th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Back in the 80s-90s, they were big in disk drives and controllers, specializing in high-end stuff. I used to have a couple of their caching SCSI controllers ("Fastcache" brand). I probably have more than a couple 5.25" FH SCSI and ESDI drives from them. I used to have an 7-CD SCSi minitower that they offered as well. Martin Bodo, assuming he's still around, is a font of information.

But sigh, times change. When you can purchase 6TB drives cheap from Newegg, a 670 MB drive doesn't seem nearly as exotic as it once did.

Unknown_K
October 16th, 2018, 07:22 PM
I kind of like the old hard drives from companies no longer around running in my machines where I can hear them saving and loading data. Micropolis for example made the first AudioVideo rated drives that did thermal calibration on the fly so it would not stop when saving video. Nobody knows that brand anymore.

Chuck what board interface did those Fastcache controllers use?

Chuck(G)
October 16th, 2018, 07:44 PM
Both VLB and ISA. I think they're described in the "Hard Drive Bible".

Unknown_K
October 16th, 2018, 08:54 PM
I think I have an AMI fastcache SCSI VLB card

Trixter
October 17th, 2018, 05:55 PM
And, here we are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1SoOzu4HOE

Be sure to watch it in 1080p60 for best quality.

Chuck(G)
October 17th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Not too bad--better than I though it'd be. I see that Martin lost his scruffy beard for this video.

Anyone catch the Miniscribe hard drive in the video? This would be after the "brick in a box" disaster.

Unknown_K
October 17th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Decent video. What did you use for playback, capture, and processing?

Trixter
October 18th, 2018, 10:29 AM
My process for VHS-quality sources:

Dazzle DVC 100 (consumer device but that's ok for a mass-produced VHS cassette), outputs 4:2:2 YUV which was maintained throughout the pipeline.
Premiere Pro for black level correction and color correction of one specific segment that had royally messed-up hue.
Izotope 5 for audio noise reduction.
NeatVideo 4 for video noise reduction.

All of the above in the interlaced domain. Final export from Premiere was then deinterlaced with avisynth using this script:

avisource("csc inside disk drives.avi").ConvertToYUY2().assumeTFF()
QTGMC(Preset="very slow", EdiThreads=4)
crop(8,8,-8,-8)
nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="spline36resize",fwidth=1440,fheight=1080)

Encoded with ffmpeg using x264 --preset medium. (There's no point in --preset veryslow with content that only originally had ~220 lines of resolution. Also, I've stopped adding pillarboxing now that YouTube and archive.org can process 60p 4:3 content correctly.)

Drawbacks of the entire process: Telecined (film) content can get some extra motion added to it. Also takes about an hour of manual labor, and about 5x video runtime for the deinterlacing avisynth script. (Can't run the script multithreaded, it crashes, must run single-threaded.)

For umatic or laserdisc, I use a capture device capable of 10-bit YUV. Also, everything goes through a TBC except laserdisc.

Needless to say, if you want to send me computing-history-related VHS, I'll convert them for you.

vwestlife
October 18th, 2018, 10:31 AM
That video needs more Video Toaster transitions and MOD music. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0erAi9sG4XI

Unknown_K
October 18th, 2018, 02:03 PM
I have a USB Dazzle here somewhere I never used. What VCR did you use for playback?

Trixter
October 18th, 2018, 05:59 PM
JVC SR-VS30, which has a TBC built-in. For umatic, I have a standalone broadcast TBC.

Trixter
October 18th, 2018, 07:14 PM
That video needs more Video Toaster transitions and MOD music. :)

That is so gloriously terrible that of course I'd love to convert that properly if the tape surfaced.