PDA

View Full Version : Rs-232

mainframeOFpasta
March 20th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I was wondering if the RS-232 on a color computer can be connected directly to the serial port of a modern PC. Do they use the same ASCII? Is it possible to use my PC as virtual memory for a coco?

Brendan
March 20th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Googled CoCo null modem cable:

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~yakowenk/coco/text/downloading.html

As far as I can remember, they do use the same ASCII, at least for the letters, numbers, and punctuation. I think you're limited to 9600 baud - but maybe you can go faster with the RS-232 pak?

Not sure about using the PC as "virtual memory" - do you mean downloading software from the PC or using it as bulk data storage? I believe that's doable, but I've not done it myself.

random_rodder
March 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Go to either coco3.com or cloud9tech.com, both sell a cable to do this. Cloud9 also offers the DriveWire software/cable package that will do exactly what you are looking for. Your PC will be a server for the CoCo.

mainframeOFpasta
March 21st, 2007, 04:33 AM
... but I would rather make the cable my self. I just wanted to know if there are any format conversions needed. I know of course that an emulator is needed, I was just wondering if any extra hardware is necessary other than port connectors and Cu. I am not worried about the baud rate, but just as normally a hard drive works as virtual memory, can another computer act as virtual memory, especially since mine only has 1/2megs. Do you think that the cartrige side would be viable for connecting to the || port?

random_rodder
March 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Go here for the pinout for thr bit-banger port...

http://pinouts.ru/SerialPorts/TandyCoCoSerPrinter_pinout.shtml

As for your other questions, you might try posting them on coco3.com where there are more knowledgeable people than i am about how the coco works...

mainframeOFpasta
March 26th, 2007, 04:52 AM
That is a sweet link. I do try google but most of the time I turn up nadda.