PDA

View Full Version : Atari Game Discussion

WSmith4
March 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I hope it's okay for me to start a thread about this, but I was wondering what everyone's favorite games were for the Atari 2600.

Mine:

Frogger
Zaxxon
Q*bert
Pitfall
Coconuts
The Empire Strikes Back
Pac Man
Combat

I have such great memories of playing these games... wish I could go back and relive it. It's just not the same playing them now.

Vlad
March 26th, 2007, 09:49 AM
OMG I love Pitfall. Pitfall and Combat were my 2 all time favorites, but Pac Man was always a good time.

dongfeng
March 26th, 2007, 11:01 AM
The first software I ever bought was Laser Blast for the 2600. Cost me 5.75! I still have it :)

My favourite was Pitfall. The only other game I had for the 2600 was Pac Man.

atari2600a
March 26th, 2007, 11:10 AM
(LOL, Will Smith)

Keystone Kapers & Donkey Kong for the win!

Terry Yager
March 26th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Put me down as ditto for Pitfall Harry (on the CoCo 3, I never had an Atari version). Then there was Thexder (various platforms), TMNT, One-On-One (Bird vs. Jordan) (Atari 7800), Pole Position (also 7800), and oh yeah, what's that hockey game called again? The one with the Zamboni? I always loved that one too, even if my kid did kick my arse every time.

You really should have made this a poll.

--T

NathanAllan
March 27th, 2007, 01:04 AM
ooh, that's a hard one. I really like Joust (7800) and Video Pinball is always fun. Donkey Kong is great though!

WSmith4
March 27th, 2007, 03:58 AM
http://members.tcq.net/video61/images/5200/gamepics/pitfall.jpg

awwww yeah!

Micom 2000
March 28th, 2007, 04:17 PM
This is an off-thread comment but for the greatest Atari games, not 2600, the greatest was the 8-bit "Necromancer" and the ST "Lemmings"

Both mind-bending and from those I've seen never equalled on any other platform, and I do have a multitude of C-64/128 games as well as a bunch of Colleco-vision, 2600, and CoCo cartridges.

Lawrence

Druid6900
March 28th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Had Zaxxon for the CoCo, but, my favourite vintage games were ones called StarFighter and an incrediably simple graphically, but highly addictive TimeTrek, both for the Tandy Model 1

ahm
March 29th, 2007, 09:23 AM
On the 2600, Battlezone is my fave.
But closely followed by Solaris, Gravitar and Miner 2049er in no particular order.

For 8-bit, let's see... Ball Blazer is probably my number one,
and again in no particular order: Choplifter, Bounty Bob Strikes Back and M.U.L.E.

For the ST, I've always liked Populous.

Retromaster
March 29th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Out of the 5 Atari games I have, I have to say Mario Bros.

Bill_Loguidice
March 29th, 2007, 12:07 PM
http://members.tcq.net/video61/images/5200/gamepics/pitfall.jpg

awwww yeah!

Not the 2600 version... ;-)

Bill_Loguidice
March 29th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I have many favorites from the original run (1977 - 1989) of the VCS, but I seem to play the games released in the past few years the most these days. The recent vintage of homebrew cartridges has been superb, starting with games like Thrust+ Platinum and going from there. It's still a heck of a system with a tremendously active community...

CP/M User
March 30th, 2007, 01:59 PM
How come when I start an Atari Thread about games nobody responds!?! :-(

Hard to pick my favourite (legitmate) 2600 game. Mario Bros is great, though H.E.R.O is just as good (well perhaps slightly better cause of the layout of the game) and then there's Dig Dug which isn't bad either. Popeye is good as an alternative to Mario Bros as well as Keystone Kapers is worthy of a mention.

You'll have to visit another forum (http://mtac.profusehost.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=097b3285f2626650278f626618079032) for my views on 7800 games! ;-)

Retromaster
March 30th, 2007, 04:47 PM
How come when I start an Atari Thread about games nobody responds!?! :-(

Most likely becasue I posted.:oops:

I also really liked Missle Command. Classic and challenging.

Terry Yager
March 30th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Hey, c'mon guys...I'm the OfficialParanoid around here...

--T

CP/M User
March 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Retromaster wrote:

Most likely becasue I posted.

No that doesn't explain it - WSmith4 had this thread up and running long before you posted.

Unoffically I've play lots of 2600 games some of the worthy mentions are:

* Solaris - for it's graphics.

* Peter Rose Baseball - because it's fun and playable.

* That tank game which Activision made (think it's called Tank Command?) - I love this one more than Battlezone, sure Battlezone has good graphics (for a 2600 game) though it's unplayable! :-(

* Sega did a game too, think it's called Coco Bongo(?) not bad little platformer.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention (since I have it) Atari's Kangaroo - another interesting little game (pity it wasn't bigger).

CP/M User
March 30th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Terry Yager wrote:

Hey, c'mon guys...I'm the OfficialParanoid around here...

Nope - no Paranoia here, just sticking with the facts. The thread in question was started years and years ago (when there were more "zero posters" filling in for memberships) and the thread created wanted people to start selectively pick games made for a specific system (e.g. Atari XE) and write about them, I only did this cause I knew Atari XE had cartridges specifically made for it from the range of games found on Consoles. I could only wonder how they compared with 7800.

Anyway, I could only imagine it was this intensive interrogating which turn people simply commenting on what they had or nobody here could describe those games.

CP/M User.

CP/M User
March 31st, 2007, 12:59 AM
CP/M User wrote:

* That tank game which Activision made (think it's called Tank Command?) - I love this one more than Battlezone, sure Battlezone has good graphics (for a 2600 game) though it's unplayable! :-(

Correction Tank Command (which is an Amstrad CPC game) should be RoboTank. Anyone got it?

RoboTank simply pits you against another tank and as you keep shooting it the following tank gets harder and harder. Plus you've got Daylight/Night Time battles, Fog, Rain and Snow to contend with as well as your everclear days. It's pretty good for a 2600 game and the graphics aren't anything to sneeze at either!

It's funny how some games look better than others on a 2600. Activision games are usually good as well as some of the Atari games, it's not always the large 16k games which had the best graphics - games like RoboTank were half the size and look good - anyone know why?

Pitfall's another good game, though has anyone played or have Pitfall 2 on the 2600?

CP/M User.

Terry Yager
March 31st, 2007, 07:19 AM
Pitfall's another good game, though has anyone played or have Pitfall 2 on the 2600?
No, but I saw one on eBay last night, CoCo version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110108750518&rd=1&rd=1

Somewhere around here, I have a version for the PC, on CD, from around early-to-mid ninties, but I've never played it either. Mebbe it'll turn up during the move...

--T

CP/M User
March 31st, 2007, 02:35 PM
Terry Yager wrote:

Somewhere around here, I have a version for the PC, on CD, from around early-to-mid ninties, but I've never played it either. Mebbe it'll turn up during the move...

Yes I've got the PC version too (for Win95). Not a bad game actually though it's been a while since I played it. Though which Pitfall game is it closer to on the Atari. It might have both elements because the game was split up into levels. The first section was like the Original Pitfall with a little bit of dimension about it (for instance you could move up or down the path IIRC).

CP/M User.