PDA

View Full Version : KNS Computer Keyboard

Cindy
March 31st, 2007, 10:08 PM
Hello,
Sorry to jump right in with a question as my first post, but Iím limited on time and you guys where the only people I could find who might be able to answer a question I haveÖ
Does any one here know what a KNS Keyboard Network Station is?
So far all Iíve found is the processor speed ram and normal setup of the system.
What Iíd like to know is, what are they used for?
And what type of operating system do they run?
Iíve recently acquired one but it came without a power supply (coming in the mail) so I havenít had a chance to boot it up for inspection, but the rest looks perfect. I noticed it has a laptop sized hard drive, and curiosity is killing me. So donít let me suffer over here, someone tell me what the heck this thing is about. LOL!
Thanks so much to anyone who respondsÖ

ahm
April 1st, 2007, 07:15 AM
Google (http://www.google.com) is your friend:

Keyboard Network Station (KNS) from Advanced Interlink Corporation. It has a built-in 486-DX microprocessor, up to 32 MBs of RAM, super VGA adapter, 2.5" hard drive,, built-in 3.5" floppy drive, optional on-board Ethernet, two serial ports, one parallel port, standard 16-bit expansion slot, optional barcode reader and external 5.25" floppy drive. And it's fully tested with Novell Netware, Windows, and DOS environments. For more info call (714) 894-1675.

It seems that Advanced Interlink Corporation isn't around anymore.
Looks like a weird gadget. I can't imagine that a "PC in a keyboard" was wildly successful.

Andy

SwedaGuy
April 2nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
The "PC in a keyboard" concept was, in fact, very popular in some market segments. I've installed a few in POS applications, where space is limited, as well as on factory floors where a regular PC would take a beating.

A lot of those stations were sold with boot ROMs to RIPL from a server, if you have that, the system will complain that it can't find the server when you try to boot it. Otherwise, it will boot from the HDD or FDD. Have fun with that, I'm kind of sorry I had gotten rid of all the stock I had...

Cindy
April 4th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys, I hadnít Google searched it as ďPC in a keyboardĒ. Found quite a few new facts after doing so; but still looking. Thereís not a whole lot of information out there about them.
Thanks a lot for the input; if you happen across any useful links I promise not to complain if you post them. :-)