PDA

View Full Version : GVP A500-HD-8+ Questions

curtis
April 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I just picked up one of these for my A500 and it works fine.

I also picked up 4 X 4Mb SIMMs to install, but I have some questions.

I did manage to easter-egg a jumper setting to get 8Mb recognized (J5 & J9, J12-1 & 2). This wasn't shown in BBOAH. Dumb luck, I guess!

I do seem to remember there being a limit of 8Mb RAM on the A500. True/False?

If that is true, is there anyway of getting around that?

So, if I can use the extra memory, what are the jumper settings? Or should I start easter-egging again?

Anyone know where I can download a copy of the manual? I've got the software that came with it.

I'm using an A500 with rev. 5 mobo and WB 1.3.

Curtis

carlsson
April 11th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I believe the Amiga 500 can natively address 8 MB FastRAM plus 0.5-2 MB ChipRAM depending on which chipset you have. When it comes to ways around it, you should get a turbo card; one that has a '020 or better as well as memory slots. This card is a combined RAM and hard disk interface, right?

On the other hand, do you have any software scenario where you need more RAM than that? In particular if you have a SCSI (?) hard disk connected, you usually don't need a large RAM disk. My Amiga 1200 is fitted with 2 MB Chip and 4 MB Fast on a '030 card. I think the card supports up to 16 or even 32 MB in one 72 pin SIMM, but I can't start to imagine when I would need that memory. Yet I compose, compile and occassionally use it for a few different things. Perhaps if you have a database, BBS or something else that runs constantly, you need a lot of memory.

I've thought about going through the boxes of lost and found SIMMs at the flea market, but I find them hard to identify based on chip numbers, and even if I get a 8-16 MB for $3, I would not have too much use of it. Actually, I'm more tempted to upgrade the memory in my Pentium 200MMX from 40 to 64 MB than go from 6 to 10 on my Amiga.

curtis
April 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM
No, don't have any requirements for the massive amount of RAM. I just got 4 4 MB SIMMs and didn't want to "waste" 2 of them.

Anybody else need them? Make me an offer and they're yours. They're 30 pin SIMMs.

Curtis

Unknown_K
April 12th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Generally 30 pin SIMMs are installed 4 at a time or they won't work.

curtis
April 13th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Generally 30 pin SIMMs are installed 4 at a time or they won't work.

Well, in this particular case, I put 2 in and I've got 8 Mb of RAM. Guess Amiga did things a little different, huh?

Curtis