PDA

View Full Version : A safe design gone wrong

evildragon
May 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I was at the store the other day. They had this nice looking "Electronic" safe.

So, I gave it a look over. It has a very well built enclosure, floor mounts, a numeric keypad, batteries, and a handle.

All looked good, and I was ready to buy it. Then I noticed something. The batteries are stored on the INSIDE of safe!

So um, I'm no expert in safe design, but, what the hell do you do when the batteries die? LOL

It has no key, and no power cord. So essentially, if the batteries die, your screwed.

Vlad
May 30th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Wow, talk about poor design. Mine at least has a key to override the keypad in the event the batteries fail.

Unknown_K
May 30th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Maybe the safe is unlocked without working batteries?

evildragon
May 30th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Maybe the safe is unlocked without working batteries?
that would be an even worse design ;)

Vlad
May 30th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Defective by Design then. A thief would take the entire safe and just have to wait out the battery life before what ever is inside can be theirs. Although I'm guessing there was probably some kind of override or it makes noise to alert you of failing batteries to give you a chance to get it open.

evildragon
May 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Defective by Design then. A thief would take the entire safe and just have to wait out the battery life before what ever is inside can be theirs. Although I'm guessing there was probably some kind of override or it makes noise to alert you of failing batteries to give you a chance to get it open.
i'd hope it does.. but even then, if someones say, hard on hearing, that's no good.. it doesn't have any LED's, that i can say for sure...

Vlad
May 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Wow, that must be one cheap piece of crap. I wonder what would happen if the batteries really did gave out? Find a friend with a Plasma Torch >.>

evildragon
May 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Wow, that must be one cheap piece of crap. I wonder what would happen if the batteries really did gave out? Find a friend with a Plasma Torch >.>
haha :p

it cost $68 i think.. i don't know how much a safe normally goes for.. it was the size of my PS/2 Model 25...

bbcmicro
May 31st, 2007, 03:34 AM
Often battery powered models do have an key for failing batteries, but it is hidden.
Try looking for a rectangular piece of plastic that can be popped out or something similar on the front panel. Of course, if there is one you would need the key, so it's kind of useless.
:rolleyes:

carlsson
May 31st, 2007, 04:33 AM
Aren't those safes more to protect you from fire, flood (?) and so on than from thieves? If the batteries were on the outside, the safe remains locked when batteries are out and the safe is installed at some semi-public place, there would also be a risk of sabotage. Someone breaks the battery compartment, and you can no longer open the safe without taking extreme measures.