PDA

View Full Version : about Contiki again

norayr
March 13th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Hello.
my friend promiced me his Commodore64, and I want to run contiki on that machine.
But there is no disk drive, I know that friend use tape recorder for loading games from old tapes.
And I don't know, is there a serial port available, so can I attach a modem to it?
1. Can You give me a link to contiki image, that will run from casette
2. How can I transfer that image to casette?
3. How can I transfer another programs from internet to a real tapes?

Thanks

Erik
March 13th, 2004, 08:25 AM
What you want, I think, is a XE1541 cable or something similar. This will allow you to connect your commodore to your PC using the PC as a phantom disk drive.

These cables are available on eBay from time to time as well as from a number of other sources.

I bought mine from http://www.8bitdesigns.com/xe1541.html through the Vintage Computer Marketplace (http://marketplace.vintage.org).

Good luck!

Erik

NathanAllan
March 13th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Welcome to the cool world of Commodore!! Not sure how familiar you are with the machine, it is a real great thing to use for me though. I agree with Erik, the XE1541 cable is the solution for you... now. Once you get into it I bet you'll do like me and want the FinalEthernet for it, so you can actually network the C64 to your PC computer! It's great experimenting with! Learning about how that little computer works has been one of the most fun experiences I have had in a long time. Have fun!! :)

Nathan

norayr
March 14th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Welcome to the cool world of Commodore!! Not sure how familiar you are with the machine, it is a real great thing to use for me though.

I have no experience at all with Commodore.
A little experience with Atari XL/XE, and a lot of experience with Pravetz-8D (oric's clone), Microha, and one soviet ZX-Spectrum clone ;)

I agree with Erik, the XE1541 cable is the solution for you... now.

Oh... I am astonished...
Many ppl, that use Oric computers, transfer their old tapes to PC and convert them to .tap files, and transfer .tap files from internet to their real Oric's with simple software, that allows conversions like this.
I can't believe, that such programs does not exist for Commodore...

Once you get into it I bet you'll do like me and want the FinalEthernet for it, so you can actually network the C64 to your PC computer! It's great experimenting with! Learning about how that little computer works has been one of the most fun experiences I have had in a long time. Have fun!! :)

That is cool, but I don't want connect Commodore to PC.
Can I directly connect Coomodore to modem and dial to my internet provider?
I don't want use PC for connecting o internet at all.
In the way You describe, I should use my PC as a gateway...

And I read, that contiki can be loaded from casette. How I would transfer contiki image to simple casette?
Thanks.

norayr
March 14th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Welcome to the cool world of Commodore!! Not sure how familiar you are with the machine, it is a real great thing to use for me though.

I have no experience at all with Commodore.
A little experience with Atari XL/XE, and a lot of experience with Pravetz-8D (oric's clone), Microha, and one soviet ZX-Spectrum clone ;)

I agree with Erik, the XE1541 cable is the solution for you... now.

Oh... I am astonished...
Many ppl, that use Oric computers, transfer their old tapes to PC and convert them to .tap files, and transfer .tap files from internet to their real Oric's with simple software, that allows conversions like this.
I can't believe, that such programs does not exist for Commodore...

Once you get into it I bet you'll do like me and want the FinalEthernet for it, so you can actually network the C64 to your PC computer! It's great experimenting with! Learning about how that little computer works has been one of the most fun experiences I have had in a long time. Have fun!! :)

That is cool, but I don't want connect Commodore to PC.
Can I directly connect Coomodore to modem and dial to my internet provider?
I don't want use PC for connecting o internet at all.
In the way You describe, I should use my PC as a gateway...

And I read, that contiki can be loaded from casette. How I would transfer contiki image to simple casette?
Thanks.

NathanAllan
March 14th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Yes there are programs out there to make images of the tapes. Do some gogle searching and you will find a slew of sites to do what you want.

http://www.funet.fi/pub/cbm/crossplatform/transfer/transfer.html

Try that one. Have a good one!

Nathan

carlsson
March 14th, 2004, 12:25 PM
The issue here might be how diskdrive dependent Contiki is; whether it is a one-time load into memory and then it sits there, or if it will load modules at it needs. Unfortunately I can't remember, though being one of the lazy followers of the -developers list.

norayr
March 15th, 2004, 04:49 AM
The issue here might be how diskdrive dependent Contiki is; whether it is a one-time load into memory and then it sits there, or if it will load modules at it needs. Unfortunately I can't remember, though being one of the lazy followers of the -developers list.

Yes, I have downloaded video screenshot mpeg files, and as I can see, contiki loads from disk some apps like telnet or browser.
But I want to believe, that it all can be stored in RAM.
This is what is written at the Contiki home

What do I need to run Contiki?
A standard system to which Contiki is ported. In general, there are no expansion boards, CPU accelerators or extra memory cards required, not even a disk drive. An RS-232 (serial) card or Ethernet connection is required for Internet connectivity, however.

The typical system requirements for the Contiki system is about 20 kilobytes of RAM for the base functionality and about 50 kilobytes for full functionality (desktop icons, web browser, web server, etc.)

NathanAllan
March 15th, 2004, 10:30 PM
From everything I have read, Contiki lets the C64 get online via ethernet, but not directly. With the FinalEthernet cartridge, you can network it to your PC(though I know that's not what you want) and get online as if it is a normal PC on the network. That's what I am gonna do once I can get the funds available :) Plus, didn't Commodore modems not have the capability of talking to today's servers?? I don't have one so I don't know. And to use a newer modem you would need a rs232 card or something.

carlsson
March 16th, 2004, 04:39 AM
There is ongoing work on the ARP (and DHCP?) protocols. Currently I think you'll want a PC or local router is to ensure that you get all the settings (IP, DNS etc) correct compared to hooking an Ethernet-enabled C64 or similar directly to your *DSL or broadband provider.

It might be so that the texts on the Contiki web page are slightly out of date, or it was found out that not even 64K was enough to hold both system and most typical applications. Remember that the OS is written in high-level C and the compilers used are not always very efficient on optimizing, so quite some memory (and speed?) is "wasted" compared to rewriting the exact same functions in optimized, system-specific machine code.

norayr
March 17th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Commodore64 does not complected with serial interface?

But http://www.vintage-computer.com/commodore64.shtml written that Commodore has

I/O Serial, Parallel, optional IEEE-488

NathanAllan
March 17th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Serial yes, rs232 no. Here is a link to a great site about all kinds of pinouts. I did a search for "Commodore"and it gave great results.

http://www.technick.net/public/code/index.php

carlsson
March 18th, 2004, 12:29 AM
IIRC, the C64 user port is conceptually RS232 compatible, but not electronically (wrong voltage level) or obviously pin-compatible. One can build or buy an interface, among all other things one can build or buy. The IEEE-488 interface is an add-on through the cartridge (or is it user?) port I believe.

Also worth mentioning is the IEC bus (where disk drives, printers etc hook up) is a kind of serial bus, but not a 1:1 serial port as it has additional lines for clock and attention which are used in parallel with the data line. This is probably one of the reasons why the X*1541 cables connect to a PC parallel port instead of serial.

(Hmm.. I still wonder if the phpBB Group have considered user-level thread moving. While I can see it be abused on forums populated by teen haxxors, a serious one like this could find good use for it.)

Erik
March 18th, 2004, 06:07 AM
(Hmm.. I still wonder if the phpBB Group have considered user-level thread moving. While I can see it be abused on forums populated by teen haxxors, a serious one like this could find good use for it.)

The PHPBB software wouldn't really allow that unless I made everyone a moderator.

I am willing to make a few folks here moderators to help out with tracking and moving threads around (I have to look at what level of control that gives, but I'm pretty sure that's on the list).

The other alternative, if a thread needs to be split or moved, is to let me know in case I miss it. . . :)

Erik

carlsson
March 18th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Okie. I haven't really checked out how the board is programmed, but I assumed every message was stored with a reference to parent message and which subforum it lies in. If it worked in that way, there could be a drop-down selecting which subforum one wanted to post a reply into (or leave it as the previous user had chosen).

That is at least how I would implement my own board software if I ever wrote some (maybe one day, when the rest of this #$*% complicated web site I'm working on is stable enough not to require day-to-day development).

Another alternative is of course that the others of us keep on posting, and as long noone complains to the moderator, threads will stay were they are. :D

joecommodore
March 20th, 2004, 09:57 AM
I have used Contiki and it certainly is disk based, given the 64's small amount of memory modules have to be swapped around 1541 disk drives are not that uncommon, you probably could find one without difficulty. Or you can use the X1541 cable to have a PC act as a 1541 disk drive (64HDD) - though 64HDD might not work, as the module loader in Contiki is a fastloader and may not work on a non-1541 drive.

As far as connecting to the internet, Ive used it with the Retro-Replay-RRNet ethernet option. (cheked the FAQ dial-up - it's still in the works)

Here's a link to the official site, email Adam if you have questions he seems pretty well on top of replying to people.

http://www.dunkels.com/adam/contiki/ports/c64.html

NathanAllan
March 31st, 2004, 09:55 AM
I have been in touch with the developer groepaz and he tells me that this PSOne clone system would be a good thing to have Contiki on. The system is really neat, it is PSone compatible and also has full function USB ports on it. I have been looking and can't find any for sale individually, you have to buy them in bulk. I would love to get my habd son one of these.

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/HOMEPAGES/GSOL/GSHOME.jsp

If anyone's interested, go to the above and search for topway and the system will come up.