PDA

View Full Version : Basic 2e question

tab a
July 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM
I've recently received a 2e and have a REALLY basic question.

When turned on, the screen lights up and it says Apple 2e but I'm not sure how to proceed from there. Do I have to have a disc in the drive in order to proceed (I know the drives don't work)?

Thanks.

chuckcmagee
July 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM
Yes you do. It is trying to boot off the floppy. It's looking for some version of Apple DOS or ProDOS, either one. If it's a fairly current version of ProDOS then it might complain about your apple not being new enough.

david__schmidt
July 1st, 2007, 10:23 AM
Do I have to have a disc in the drive in order to proceed (I know the drives don't work)?
Thanks.
No, just hold down the Control (ctrl) key and hit Reset. You'll get the Applesoft prompt ("]") and you can use the BASIC that's in ROM. You won't be able to do anything with the disks since you didn't load DOS, but since your drives don't work, I guess that doesn't matter. :-)

tab a
July 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your help!

It came with ProDOS disks but they won't help much, as you've pointed out. :(

chuckcmagee
July 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Ah, so there IS a way to get to the BASIC rom when the disk controller card is installed!! Making notes --- "hold down ctrl key and ...."

See, something new every day.

david__schmidt
July 2nd, 2007, 05:38 AM
It came with ProDOS disks but they won't help much, as you've pointed out. :(
So, maybe we can work on that next - what's wrong with them? If this is an IIe, I imagine you have A9M0107 drives (see: http://www.vintagemacworld.com/drives.html)? Are they both bad? What's the behavior you see with them?

Geo3
July 3rd, 2007, 05:59 AM
How do you know the drive is bad? Could it be the controler? The Computer?

Turn the power off wait for about 40 seconds. Open the lid. Pull out the controler card. Reseat all the chips by pressing down on them one at a time. You may hear a scrunch or two. Next wipe the edge connector with alcohol. Do not be afraid to use a little pressure. You want to remove any oxidation. Do this a few times. Re insert the card in the slot a few times. This helps if the slots are oxidized.

Next would be to clean the heas of the drive and try it.

If you need drives or controler cards I have some for sale. You did not mention which kind you had. Wheter they were old Disk][ or the newer style that canbe dasiy chained.

There still might still something wrong with the computer rather than the drives.

Take Care,
Geo3

chuckcmagee
July 3rd, 2007, 07:18 AM
I find a normal #2 pencil eraser works perfect for cleaning edge connectors. The eraser end now, not the usual end :p

barythrin
July 3rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure if you can do any cool tricks for testing hardware with the Monitor rom or micro-assembler. But it's built-in to most of the II series (can't say factually which ones but I know it's on the IIe and IIc).

Hit Ctrl+Reset to jump into ROM Basic.
From ROM Basic type call-151
I think that instantly jumps you into the Monitor/debug code.
From here just type ! and enter and I think your cursor changes from an ! to a * or visa versa.. either way now you can practice 6502 Assembly/ML.

- John

(sorry if the tips are a slight bit wrong..I'm typing this from memory although I can verify when I get home).

Druid6900
July 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Try this;

Press Ctrl-Open Apple-Closed Apple-Reset to run the in-ROM diagnostics and replace any defective IC shown on the screen.

ringtemek
September 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Try this;

Press Ctrl-Open Apple-Closed Apple-Reset to run the in-ROM diagnostics and replace any defective IC shown on the screen.

wheres the closed apple i just see open apple

Druid6900
September 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM
The Open Apple is on the left side of the spacebar and the Close Apple is on the right side of the spacebar.