PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get Fusion to run on a 486 DOS-based PC.

facattack
July 4th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Fusion is a Macintosh emulator available at www.emulators.com . I'm trying to load the setup program, but it kicks back the error "no himem.sys". This isn't true because I have that located in the DOS folder.

What I'd really like to do is run an Apple IIGS emulator.

ahm
July 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I'm trying to load the setup program, but it kicks back the error "no himem.sys". This isn't true because I have that located in the DOS folder.

Perhaps you need to reference it in your CONFIG.SYS ?

vbriel
July 5th, 2007, 08:35 AM
actually, you need to add a PATH command to your autoexec.bat file. It has been a while but I think it goes:

PATH=C:\DOS

Vince

facattack
July 5th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Niether solution seems to work. Another emulator I'm trying emulates Apple IIGS. It's called XGS for DOS. This one complains in bootlog that it can't locate my mouse. I have a serial Tandy mouse. Is there a way to edit Autoexec.bat or Config.sys so that they properly idenitify my mouse when I start up DOS? I have DOS 6.22.

ahm
July 5th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Niether solution seems to work.

What, exactly, did you try?

Google is your friend. A quick search reveals that you should put the following line in your CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS

I have a serial Tandy mouse. Is there a way to edit Autoexec.bat or Config.sys so that they properly idenitify my mouse when I start up DOS?

Probably. It may require a driver for the mouse.

You may notice that the quality of the answers you receive is in direct proportion to the amount of detail you provide.

facattack
July 7th, 2007, 05:53 PM
:D I finally got XGS for Windows to run properly. It was fun playing around with it: the boot screen shows a brown boot. :D Unfortunately XGS for DOS still won't run.

I installed Cute Mouse and that detects the mouse. But XGS won't let that run. Maybe I'll try and dig up my discs that have Windows 3.11 on them and reinstall and try to use the emulator using that. Problem is I cleaned my room and tossed out some trash but didn't find them. Maybe they were in the car? Ooops! I'm writing what I'm thinking.

Anyhow, I managed to run XGS for Windows on my XP machine. I'm bidding on an Apple IIGS computer on Ebay. I'm not sure I want it any more. The case is supposed to be cracked... :( At first I didn't mind, then I looked around and even though I've got a lot of space on my desk, its taken up by junk. More cleaning to do. Thanks everyone for the advice.