PDA

View Full Version : Vintage computers & Sussex NJ Hamfest

kb2syd
July 9th, 2007, 04:46 AM
I know this is a posting after the fact, but it is now more an observation than an alert. This year's Sussex County (NJ) hamfest was another sucess (250 tailgaters, 30 indoor vendors and about 600 buyers through the gates).

I saw the following items of note to the vintage computer crowd.

HP Protocol Analyzer
Kaypro Executive (complete with original manuals,etc)
TRS-80 Model 4

However, all of these were outrageously priced. The HP was at $150, the Kaypro guy wanted $350, and the TRS-80 guy wants $250. I guess eBay pricing has gone to Hamfests now.

I did pick up a box full of 5.25" floppy drives, misceallaneous ISA cards (8 and 16 bit) and smaller capacity IDE drives for free.

prw411
July 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Hello,

I just wondered what a reasonable price for the Kaypro would be- just in case I happen to come across one?

Thanks!

Paul

Unknown_K
July 12th, 2007, 08:24 PM
The free box of drives and cards sound nice, anything special in there?

chuckcmagee
July 12th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I have been paying $20 to $50 for working Kaypros on ebay myself, before shipping costs. Some have a few disks, most have no software provided.

prw411
August 10th, 2007, 11:07 AM
:roll: I guess this one is way off!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1982-KayPro-Computer-RARE_W0QQitemZ260147150952QQihZ016QQcategoryZ29833 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Druid6900
August 10th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah, if someone bids on that, I have some beach front property that I guarantee will be above water during the next ice age that I can sell them :)

chuckcmagee
August 11th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Ooo ooo, that $1000 Kaypro could win our "humor" bad pic contest!!!

(see above ebay link)

DoctorPepper
September 12th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Ooo ooo, that $1000 Kaypro could win our "humor" bad pic contest!!!

(see above ebay link)

Well, my faith in humanity (and vintage computer collectors) was restored. The above auction ended with zero (0) bids!

Maybe the owner will realize the true worth of his Kaypro and put it back up for auction at a reasonable bid.

NobodyIsHere
September 12th, 2007, 08:05 AM
No doubt!

There seem to be a lot of potential sellers who assume just because a piece of computer equipment is old somehow it is extremely valuable. I think they see the dollar signs and their eyes start spinning. Sorry folks, a 25 year old piece of electronics being sold "AS IS" is rarely worth much and there are only a few exceptions.

The high prices on Ebay for *some very specific items* are the exception rather than the rule though. Most vintage gear I have picked up and restored has been either reasonably priced or picked up as free salvage. It is quite common to see those overpriced items on Ebay and even some reasonably priced ones going without bids. Get a grip on reality!

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch