PDA

View Full Version : Composite video through SCART adapter

bbcmicro
July 9th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Are there any picture/signal advantages in using an adapter to feed composite video through the SCART plug of a PAL television over feeding the composite video through the appropriate plugs on the telly unadulterated by adapters?

All attempts to punctuate that sentence failed :)

carlsson
July 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I see two advantages of using an adapter:

1. Your TV is so old that it only has SCART connector(s)
2. You use a SCART switch box to select between multiple inputs

Otherwise I don't think you'd gain anything unless your TV has some weird circuitry how it handles the straight composite video inputs etc.

bbcmicro
July 11th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Thanks carlsson, I think I'll can do without the adapter, if they're is no real advantage.

carlsson
July 11th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Yep. When you get more systems than you have video inputs, you may want to invest on a SCART switch box, and then those adapters will be handy. I'm in the process of considering that myself. Theoretically I could replace my partly malfunctioning 1084 with a more modern 14-15" TV, and then wire cables/adapters to connect the whole range of my home computers from BBC/Electron and VIC/64 to Amiga. At least those computers outputting RGB would have to go through the SCART route.

Actually, a store nearby this week has a sale on a three way switch box for 40 SEK (3 UKP or 5 USD). I'll probably buy one, even if it is mostly crap quality.

bbcmicro
July 11th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Sounds like a plan. Before I saved up for my second telly, I had 11 things sharing one tiny 30 something year old ferguson telly, computers, consoles, etc. etc. Needless to say it was a mess of spaghetti and really impractical.
Since then a lot of stuff as been put away.

carlsson
July 11th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Speaking about putting things away. In my combined computer and bedroom (yes, I'm single), I have two desks, a small bookshelf, two chests of drawers and half the wardrobe full of computer stuff, as well as a bunch in the basement. Yet my collection is miniscule compared to most other people's.

The larger desk is about 170x80 cm, and the smaller one used to be 110x70. A few weeks ago, I found an abandoned pedestal in the basement. I tidied it up, and at the same time got myself a larger board, expanding my secondary desk to 140x80 cm. It goes without saying, that I managed to fill the desk and all the drawers immediately when I moved all the stuff back. I'm sure if I made an opening in the wall, I would find something to put there as well.

And more items on their way in.. Terry's TRS-80 and at the time of writing I'm top bidder on another Beeb. I think I got infected by something.

Terry Yager
July 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Aahhh, bicher quitchen...you'll love the Trash-80, once ya git yer hands on it! (You'll prolly move out one of the PETs to make room for it).

--T

carlsson
July 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM
All the PET stuff is stored in the basement. :)

Anyhow, I ended up not buying the SCART switch box. It was switchless, which means that I have to turn off all video sources but one. For most applications it may be good enough, but I can see a scenario when I want several computers powered on simultaneously and just switch displays. On the other hand, a switchable box costs five times as much. The offer is valid through the end of this week, and they had plenty left so I might go back there to have another look.