PDA

View Full Version : Look what I won for 99 cents plus S/H. :D

facattack
July 10th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Tandy Laptop. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180135435120&rd=1&rd=1)

I never won anything so cheap before and, most surpisingly, without a "fight" from some other bidder. :D

Vlad
July 10th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Wow, thats pretty cool. Bummer no AC adapter though, hopefully its not hard to find.

facattack
July 10th, 2007, 04:42 PM
:( Ac Adaptor? The picture looks like there's a power cord coming from the unit. (I wonder why they guy put in ontop of his VCR?)

Oh well.... If it doesn't come with an AC adaptor... (http://www.lowcostbatteries.com/tandy_2820hd_laptop-batteries_995_part_aa-b25.htm)

Vlad
July 10th, 2007, 05:19 PM
The Q&A at the bottom said there wasn't one. Looks like the pic was in a garage or something. *shrugs* that could be the cord for the VCR or it.

Druid6900
July 10th, 2007, 07:57 PM
When I look at the closed listing, I get a list of "Similar Items from all eBay sellers" and the top one is a "Tandy 2820HD 3800HD 3810HD 3820HD New AC Power Adapter" for 18.95 and 10.95 S/H.

Below is the link;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140136882762&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=180135435120&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

So, you get the computer for 2 bucks and have to fork out 30 buck for the adaptor and you don't even know if the computer works or not at this stage.

Vlad
July 10th, 2007, 08:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140136882762&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=180135435120&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

AC Adapter?

Terry Yager
July 10th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Actually, after buying four or five of them, I've given up on ever trying to find a working unit on eBay. (I had one once, which I used to run Coherent OS on, but sold it several years ago). Seems they all suffer from the same design flaw: the battery is located directly above the mainboard, and subject to severe leakage with age. The leakage drips down and takes out everything below it. I have an adaptor for a 1500, but IIRC, the 2800 & 3800 use a different adaptor than the 1500 (which also suffers from poor battery placement).

--T

chuckcmagee
July 11th, 2007, 04:15 AM
I already own my quota of 1100FD, 1110HD, 1400LT, 1500. As Terry points out, I had to buy at least 2 1110s to get a working one, even then I had to find a replacement hard drive. I looked at that listing but I was leary of the seller.

facattack
July 11th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Okay... I'll just put it in my pile of "nice to look at but doesn't work" stuff... :( Typical the guy would be selling his laptop seperate from the power cord. Just my luck. But atleast I didn't go through a bidding war to get a defective unit. (Or maybe this one would work?)

carlsson
July 11th, 2007, 05:50 AM
I believe it is getting common to split items. Just last week, someone had cleaned out his attic and found a loose Commodore 128 and a pair of Amiga 500's, all sold separately without power supplies. Then once those auctions had ended, he found the matching power supplies, and initiated new auctions for those. Sad smiley or not, you decide.

Unknown_K
July 11th, 2007, 06:53 AM
If you want to maximize the profits then parting working units out is the way to do it, plus its easier to sell a unit as working (if its dead) without a PS because by the time the buyer gets a PS its too late to leave feedback.

I think we will see some kind of backlash sooner or later with people getting tired of bidding on systems where everything is seperate.

chuckcmagee
July 11th, 2007, 07:21 AM
I own 2 or 3 of everything because...

I needed a mouse, had to buy the whole thing

I needed a power supply, had to buy the whole thing

cassette drive,....

On the positive side, I do have tons of spare parts now, if they don't go bad in storage before I need them.

carlsson
July 11th, 2007, 07:32 AM
People tend to pay twice as much if you have the original box. At least for home computers and video games, perhaps there are not so many vintage personal computers with boxes remaining at all.

I believe accessories such as power supplies and cables will also be higher valued. Assume you'd pay $10 for a loose computer, but if it comes with everything you need, you may bid $20. I think like that at least.

barythrin
July 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I stopped purchasing systems despite the rarity if they didn't have a power supply or enough parts to work for that exact reason. I accumilated too many systems that I can't use and can't find the parts for which were starting to result in pack-ratting instead of collecting.

I know it's a debate on which makes more money but I'd like to think showing a fully working system that's turned on would make more than parting it out and selling a keyboard, display, power adapter, etc. It may depend on the age of the system also. It used to be more money for parting out an Altair but I think (unfortunatly for us still seeking an authentic model) it costs more for a functional unit than the $1xx.00 you can make per card.

- John

facattack
July 11th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Oh, this is funny: he hasn't accepted payment yet. I'll tell ya if he decides to refund my money and relist.

Unknown_K
July 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM
If you resell then getting parts machines probably pays off. I snagged a Tandy 1000 HX on ebay that was cracked bad since it had the 640k memory unit I wanted (and the extra working 3.5" DD drive) for my clean system, but now I have the old case sitting under the bed. Quite often I get the urge to get a parts machine working again, so I try not to keep too many around.

I have passed on video capture cards when they do not have the special cables you need for the I/O with them. There are tons of nice capture gear going for little because there is no dongle included for the software making them worthless.

Terry Yager
July 11th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I already own my quota of 1100FD, 1110HD, 1400LT, 1500. As Terry points out, I had to buy at least 2 1110s to get a working one, even then I had to find a replacement hard drive. I looked at that listing but I was leary of the seller.

I'll bet ya don't have the Panasonic Business Partner 150, NeenerNeenerNeener! OTOH, I still don't have a functional floppy drive for my 1100FD (damn belts!)...

--T

Terry Yager
July 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
When it came time to part with my ol' (loaded) ThinkPad 770E, I found that the whole was less valuable than the sum of it's parts. The 8Mb video card alone sold for more than other whole 770's were selling for at the time.

--T

Druid6900
July 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Okay... I'll just put it in my pile of "nice to look at but doesn't work" stuff... :( Typical the guy would be selling his laptop seperate from the power cord. Just my luck. But atleast I didn't go through a bidding war to get a defective unit. (Or maybe this one would work?)

Actually, the adapter that Vlad and I mentioned is being sold by another vendor.

Vlad
July 11th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Well, if its a standard "barrel" style connector, Jameco sells generic power bricks at an array of voltages and such, something like that might work.

That is, if you don't get the mentioned one...

Terry Yager
July 14th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Look! This one claims to be working:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140135463230&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

--T

Druid6900
July 14th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah, must have just forgot to turn it on since everything you'd need to show it working is right there.

Just a simple oversight.

And look, is that our own chuckcmagee bidding on it?

Terry Yager
July 14th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Does appear to be, but I think the last couple of bidders may be sockpuppets attempting to wring a few more $$$ out of chuck.

Oh BTW, good working order doesn't always mean perfect working order. Some of the ones I've bought 'worked' or 'booted', but did not function completely, usually because the battery pack has leaked into the area of the mainboard where the drive controller(s) are located. Some sellers don't seem to know the difference between 'the screen lit up' and 'it booted'...

--T

chuckcmagee
July 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Our own chuckybaby ain't getting sucked in on that one. I'm getting tired of trying to find working CP2024 drives, hard to come by. Plus, "oh, you need a new battery! That will only be $157.95 please". That kills me where a replacement battery is about 5 or 8 times what I paid for the whole machine.

Druid6900
July 15th, 2007, 07:36 AM
I'm happy when I see even a prompt on the screen of something I'm bidding on.

I ALWAYS show the unit set up and working, running a program (usually diagnostics) and that used to seem to help with the final value.

I mean, what's the sense of having all the equipment there and then not plug in in and turn it on? It's not rocket science.

If i don't see something working, then, as far as I'm concerned, it ain't.

I can cut some slack if they don't have a required monitor or the computer, if it's a peripheral, but, I'm sure as hell not going to plunk down a lot of cash HOPING that it works.

If I'm selling off a system as parts, I will take pictures of the parts working as a whole and then just box the part that the auction (when I used to sell on e-Bay) concerned.

I've been pretty lucky in that the stuff I've got actually DID work, or I was able to repair it fairly quickly, but, it probably would have gone for more if it had been SHOWN working (if at all possible).

However, this "pig-in-a-poke" stuff keeps on selling and, in some cases, for a good buck.

Well, as P. T. Barnum once said..........

facattack
July 20th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Well, if anyone wants parts from mine... it hasn't been delivered yet, but...

Well, I paid .99 for it plus 9.99 shipping. Guess the guy took it the post office, found it would cost more, shrugged, then decided not to send it to me. :(

facattack
August 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
NM. It just arrived today, with a power cord adaptor and it works just fine. Good thing I still remembered how to use Desk Mate :D . :D

Postage was 8 bucks... :D