PDA

View Full Version : Sound Blaster CT-1320 (Sound Blaster 1)

JoJo_ReloadeD
July 11th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Does anyone have the msdos drivers for it? I've been looking in the net, but found nothing...

bennyroger
July 11th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I dont need any drivers for msdos on my soundblaster, my msdos games finds it after I specify the irq and address range.
normal settings are irq5 or irq7 and #210 or #220
The irq you choose must not be used by other cards (settings by jumper)

JoJo_ReloadeD
July 12th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I dont need any drivers for msdos on my soundblaster, my msdos games finds it after I specify the irq and address range.
normal settings are irq5 or irq7 and #210 or #220
The irq you choose must not be used by other cards (settings by jumper)

So, only by typing SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T1 (given those would be the values) would be enough ?

modem7
July 13th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I don't have expertise with Sound Blaster cards, but this is the way I expect it works for DOS software ...

Most professional software (perhaps even all) that is Sound Baster aware will look for the BLASTER environment variable to establish the card's settings.
Having said that, that doesn't mean that the Sound Blaster gets automatically used by software.
I would think that software would fall into the following categories:

1. Software that is not 'Sound Baster aware' - probably can only use the PC speaker.

2. Software that is 'Sound Baster aware' but by default uses the PC speaker. To use the Sound Baster, you need to enter the configuration screen and change the 'sound' setting from 'PC speaker' to 'Sound Blaster card', then enter the interrupt, etc. that the card is set to.

3. Software that is 'Sound Baster aware' but by default uses the PC speaker. To use the Sound Baster, you need to enter the configuration screen and change the 'sound' setting from 'PC speaker' to 'Sound Blaster card'. Once that is done, the software will read the BLASTER environment variable to establish the card's settings.

4. Software that is 'Sound Baster aware' and upon starting, if it finds the BLASTER environment variable, assumes that the user wants the Sound Baster as the sound device. The software will then read the BLASTER environment variable to establish the card's settings.

Trixter
August 12th, 2007, 02:20 PM
So, only by typing SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T1 (given those would be the values) would be enough ?

For digital sound, yes. For FM/adlib, some games needed SOUND.COM resident, but that usually came with the game and loaded resident as part of the game starting. And Adlib support didn't need any configuration (port was always 388h).

Some early games don't say they support Sound Blaster, but they do, but only on very specific settings such as IRQ 2 or 3. For example:

1989-era Dynamix games like Rise of the Dragon and Stellar 7 have some digital sound in the intros, but it only works on either 2 or 7 (or maybe 3, it's been a long time -- try different settings).
Tongue of the Fatman plays all its digital sound through SB if it's on IRQ 2 -- but only if you load the 5.25" version. The 3.5" version came on a single 720K disk and omitted some of the samples; the 5.25" version was on three disks and has them. Both versions were in the same package; go figure...
Prince of Persia will play all digital sound through Sound Blaster if it's on the magic settings too, but don't remember which ones.

Experiment. Just don't pick an IRQ that is already in use!

JoJo_ReloadeD
August 12th, 2007, 05:00 PM
For digital sound, yes. For FM/adlib, some games needed SOUND.COM resident, but that usually came with the game and loaded resident as part of the game starting. And Adlib support didn't need any configuration (port was always 388h).

Some early games don't say they support Sound Blaster, but they do, but only on very specific settings such as IRQ 2 or 3. For example:

1989-era Dynamix games like Rise of the Dragon and Stellar 7 have some digital sound in the intros, but it only works on either 2 or 7 (or maybe 3, it's been a long time -- try different settings).
Tongue of the Fatman plays all its digital sound through SB if it's on IRQ 2 -- but only if you load the 5.25" version. The 3.5" version came on a single 720K disk and omitted some of the samples; the 5.25" version was on three disks and has them. Both versions were in the same package; go figure...
Prince of Persia will play all digital sound through Sound Blaster if it's on the magic settings too, but don't remember which ones.

Experiment. Just don't pick an IRQ that is already in use!

Thanks, it's been working since a month or so, and it works flawlessly just with that environment variable :)

But again, thanks for the info :D