PDA

View Full Version : My hate for Inkjet rekindled

Yzzerdd
July 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM
For the longest time, I have had a hatred for inkjet, hence being why I use Dot-Matrix for a primary printer(that, and ribbon cartridges are cheap;)). I don't like inkjet because it is loaded with problems: Every inkjet I ever owned had paper jams, ink costs $30, and they are fragile, and easily mal-function. Also, alot of the time you can't unleash it's full potential without the special software, usually on CD. On the other hand, Dot matrix is cheap, built like a tank, and you can get all sorts of features without special CDs. They also rarily malfunction(mine, anyway) and if it has problems, they are usually easily fixed, or the pronter cheaply replaced. Well any way, my grandfather gave me his old inkjet, so I figured I would give the old beasts another chance. I can't get the thing to work! every time my comp. tries to print, it fails, and the printers lights keep flashing. ARGH! :killcomputer:

Vlad
July 12th, 2007, 09:28 AM
PEBKAC error...

SwedaGuy
July 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I agree on the inkjet thing...

I can count on one hand the number of inkjet printers I have owned in my lifetime. The dot matrix printers are the workhorses and the lasers are for the pretty stuff...

Quite frankly, with the cost of ink cartridges, I'm really surprised that they have remained so popular for so long. My mother works for Staples and I'm constantly amused by tales of people spending $50.00 for a cartridge they may get 250 pages out off...

Add to that the "wet ink" factor on fresh printouts, and it leaves me wondering exactly who thought this was a good idea...

Yzzerdd
July 12th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I was reading something about printers, and at the dot-matrix and inkjet comparison, something just left me puzzled. After explaing hot dot-matrix printed, it described inkjet as this: "as the head moves across the paper, it SPRAYS ink through tubes, and onto the paper..." To me, using the term "Spray" reminds me of when I use Windex, or like blowing soda through a straw, into your dates face. It just sounds messy. I always wonder how todays inkjet looks so neat, and wonder how much of a disaster the first inkjets were.

Unknown_K
July 12th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I use nothing but laser printers ( 3 currently, 2 purchased new).

Dot matrix is slow and noisy.

Terry Yager
July 12th, 2007, 10:27 PM
PEBKAC error...

Perhaps even a PICNIC-type malfunction...???

--T

Yzzerdd
July 13th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Back to wikipedia...

sbus
July 13th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Ya know, 30 years ago I was a young kid, and I remember printing out 'nekkid ladies' on a dot matrix printer.... I'm sorry, I gotta stick with inkjets...

mbbrutman
July 13th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Sorry, I have to disagree with the premise of this thread.

Inkjets do things that no dot-matrix printer will ever possibly acheive. A head of pins (9 or 24) and a ribbon a crude instruments compared to an ink-jet nozzle, kind of like a surgeons scalpel to a tree pruner.

If you want multi-part forms, use a dot matrix. If you want crisp, economical black and white printing, use a laser printer. If you want color good enough to reproduce photographs, use an inkjet. And don't forget about plotters, which serve a very specialized market. It comes back to 'use the right tool for the job.'

I've owned 1 dot matrix and 2 ink jets. Ink jets are more fragile .. but they do far more!

Yzzerdd
July 13th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Yes, I must agree Inkjet does far more. But to me, Dot-Matrix is just the way to go. But, I am biased in the favor of "vintage." Also, sbus, those "nekkid" hi-res ladies must have looked horrible on dot-matrix. But again, I agree, if you are printing hi-res stuff, like pics, InkJet is the way to go. Personally, I prefer spending $1.50 at walgreens to get my pics done. At least I don't have to spend $30 for a cartridge, only to use half of it printing 10 medium pics.

Druid6900
July 13th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I agree with Mike.

I've had a Lexmark Z51 since it was new. I've never had a bit of trouble with it. I buy refilled cartridges at 10 bucks a pop (delivered) for either high yeild black or colour and I have no problem with them either.

I have a bunch of old inkjets here (various makes and models) that I will refurbish, test and put on my site for resale and they will have lots more life left in them.

I DO have one narrow carriage dot matrix printer that I keep around on the off chance that I have to do some multi-part printing and a 22ppm laser hooked up to the network for "premium quality" printing, but, the inkjet get the majority of the day-to-day usage for shipping labels, customs forms, reports and the like.

I wouldn't be without an inkjet.

Vlad
July 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I have a rather high end Epson photo printer that has about 6 ink carts and it costs less than $50 to reload all 6 using Epson's own ink. I have a laser printer than was given to me because there is a toner mess inside. Thats a battle for another day....

carlsson
July 13th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Does anyone have experience with the newest colour laser printers? I see that they have dropped a lot in price - starting less than $200, or $130 for a refurbished Konica. I don't know how much the toner costs though. An inkjet probably still is a cheaper - and better? - alternative.

Anyway, it is rather amazing that you can get a brand new B&W laser printer for less than $80. I have a feeling it was not so long ago entry model laser printers started at $500?

Terry Yager
July 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Sorry, I have to disagree with the premise of this thread.

Inkjets do things that no dot-matrix printer will ever possibly acheive. A head of pins (9 or 24) and a ribbon a crude instruments compared to an ink-jet nozzle, kind of like a surgeons scalpel to a tree pruner.

If you want multi-part forms, use a dot matrix. If you want crisp, economical black and white printing, use a laser printer. If you want color good enough to reproduce photographs, use an inkjet. And don't forget about plotters, which serve a very specialized market. It comes back to 'use the right tool for the job.'

I've owned 1 dot matrix and 2 ink jets. Ink jets are more fragile .. but they do far more!

...and, of course, if you really want to spend enough $$$ on consumables to operate a small Third-World BananaRepublic, then by all means, buy a color laser, and enjoy the best of all worlds...

--T

SwedaGuy
July 14th, 2007, 07:10 AM
I agree with Terry that the supplies are expensive (we use Lexmark printers) for color laser printers, but the copy yield is so much higher. Our lexmark Z51 inkjet (one of only two i/j printers in our entire organization) puts out perhaps 100 sheets of (average density) color output before I have to change a cartridge. I get around 1,000 to 1,100 pages between a cartridge change on the Z710 lasers. And at that, I rarely have to replace all of the colors in the laser printer at the same time...

In fact, we don't do a lot of intense color output, and I don't think I've actually changed a color laser cartridge in over a year...

So, I'd rather spend more money less often than end up buying i/j cartridges all the time, but that is just my preference...

I think the best thing i/j printers have going for them is their size. I takes two good men to move the Lexmark lasers. The Z51 I can sling under my arm. In fact, that printer is used primarily when I have to take a printer with me to a customer site.

Somebody else said it, use the right tool for the job. I don't have any personal grudge against i/j, I just think its a waste of money for me...

carlsson
July 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM
If you don't print so much, the ink tends to dry up as well. I suppose a toner ages too, but not quite as badly. My dad has a Lexmark inkjet, and after he has replaced the ink cartridge, it takes less than six months before he has to do it again. He has experimented with refilling kits, although they are not intended for the particular model.

Personally, I only print documents and music notation, so I'm more than well off with a second hand laser printer, a HP LJ 6L that I bought a few years ago. Since then, I had to get a new toner cartridge once. I also have a brand new print server that I'm planning to install any day now, to connect the printer to my hub instead of directly via the parallel port.

Sharkonwheels
July 20th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Just a quick comment....

My hatred for inkjets has NEVER waned....NEVER fluttered....NEVER receded.

I hate the simple fact that they sell the printers for $29, and cartridges are $35. I hate the fact that they dry up quickly.

I hate them, period. Only owned 1, never will again.

Tony

chuckcmagee
July 21st, 2007, 12:08 AM
I was super happy with my HP LJ 6P. Think I bought it in 1999. Still works perfect. It was used when I bought it, obviously.

My mom wanted COLOR. So, we got an EPSON 6600. I have both printers hooked up to a PC I use as a file/print server. I never can seem to keep the EPSON configured so it prints off the network. If I work on recreating the printer setup, I can get it to print for maybe that day. Next time I go to use it, thud. The print job goes over to the server and sits there all day.

And yes, I just spent slightly under $100 on replacement cartridges for the Epson. The ones that are in there still work, these are the backup spares. And, of course, you get to "clean your jets" just about everytime you go to print anything, or make a copy.

CP/M User
July 21st, 2007, 02:01 PM
The Office just isn't the same without a Dot-matrix printer, not that I'm prepared to justify that as the reason why I had to move from an office environment to an open one - sitting in front of a computer for most of the day wasn't my cup of tea.

CP/M User
July 21st, 2007, 02:05 PM
Just skimming over this thread very quickly I'm still suprised to see words like Lexmark, those printers were no good 11 years ago and certainally still sound like more trouble than what their worth. IBM must be loosing Billions on that those silly little printers! Perhaps it would work better on an Apple!?

Mad-Mike
July 21st, 2007, 08:35 PM
Inkjets send me into a rage, so I pretty much avoid using them. I've still got my nice $10 HP LaserJet 4L that I picked up almost 2 years ago, I can always rely on that thing, and it has done a TON of paperwork for everything from Taxes to I.T. Projects, and it has not run out of toner, or even come close yet. $150.00 for 3 years of service, I spent about that much keeping my HP DeskJet 841C in commission every year!

My major bitch with Ink jet printers is the cheapness of them, and how they keep getting cheaper and cheaper made. You can have one for $29.00, but god man, I can buy a toaster for $15.00 and expect it to last almost 10 years, but I buy an ink jet costing twice as much (and nearly as complex as a toaster relatively), and it'll be put to pasture in a year. I just bought a $150.00 office jet last year, the scanner works, the fax works, but god it's hell getting that thing to print anything unless it's put on a millimeter thick card at times, sometimes I have to take it 2/3rds of the way apart just to get it to try and print.

Smitty
August 8th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I don't care much for inkjets either. I have an old Panasonic KX-P1191 dot matrix that I've had since my first 286 (17 years). I use that for printing out readme's, frequency lists and the like. It's just with the epson drivers it's slow as all hell. I remember on my 286 and later my 486 when I used the original drivers it printed like a raped ape. I'm going to have to get a new one or find an old one that drivers are readily available for. I wish to God I still had the original driver disk :-x

For pictures and long printouts I use my inkjet. It's an HP 932C and believe it or not I've had it probably at least 7 years. I think it's about to croak though. Ever since I tried running adhesive paper through it it's been making noises it never did before.

Yzzerdd
August 8th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Yea, I know what you mean about the drivers! When I am using DOS, my Panasonic KX-p1092i is Speedy, but on windows, I use Epson drivers, pretending it is an Epson LX-80, and it is sooo slow! I wonder if I can configure it using the fake dos built on the system...

lotechdowndate
September 18th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Amen to Yzzerdd's posts about inkjet vs. dot matrix.

After seeing and hearing my Centronics 122 Graphics 9 pin dot matrix printer running on self test mode I like it well enough to be interested in acquiring another just like it and or documentation for same.

In order to avoid breaking forum rules about profanity I will refrain from telling about how I feel about my ink jet printer.

Z80Jon
December 13th, 2016, 10:02 PM
My feelings for my Laserjet printer with respect to 'uncivilized' language are only in reference to just how fast that thing prints out paper (which is very fast). Yes they cost quite a bit more thank Inkjet, but these are mostly business-grade machines that last longer.

I just wish they'd include schematics like old hardware used to.

Chuck(G)
December 14th, 2016, 11:08 AM
There are lower-priced laser printers that deliver excellent results, compared to the typical inkjet. My Brother HL5040 has been churning away now for almost a decade and cost $100 new. I save the elaborate work for the big Xerox Docuprint.

gekaufman
December 14th, 2016, 12:28 PM
If you have the space, consider a used HP 4100 series workhorse - they will print 5000+ sheets on a toner cartridge (about $20 on Ebay), support 1200dpi at 25ppm, and have optional paper trays, network interface and duplex options. Very easy to repair - a feed roller and page separator pad kit and cleaning is often all that is needed. I've paid $3 for my last one at a Hamfest - it took < 2 minutes to repair. Full service manuals are on the web with a bit of searching.

- Gary

There are lower-priced laser printers that deliver excellent results, compared to the typical inkjet. My Brother HL5040 has been churning away now for almost a decade and cost $100 new. I save the elaborate work for the big Xerox Docuprint.