PDA

View Full Version : Altos Xenix?

maciek
March 19th, 2004, 09:57 PM
For quite some time, I have been looking for Xenix for the Altos 886 computer. The original version that came with the computer was Xenix 3.2f. The computer has a 80286 processor, 2MB memory, a 5.25" QD drive, 40MB harddisk and a QIC tape drive

Does anyone have or know where I can find any versions of Xenix for Altos computers?

Thanks,

Maciek

Terry Yager
March 20th, 2004, 06:54 AM
For quite some time, I have been looking for Xenix for the Altos 886 computer. The original version that came with the computer was Xenix 3.2f. The computer has a 80286 processor, 2MB memory, a 5.25" QD drive, 40MB harddisk and a QIC tape drive

Does anyone have or know where I can find any versions of Xenix for Altos computers?

Thanks,

Maciek

Did you really mean 886? I've never heard of that model. I used to have an Altos 686, (since donated) which was a '286-based machine (with a Z80 for I/O processing, and three Z80 PIOs to give it a total of 6 serial ports). I always loved the styling of the case, it looks like George Jetson's computer, especially when bundled with a DEC VT-220 terminal. My 686, when I first got it was running Xenix v. 3.-something, but I accedently trashed it one day. I never was able to find another copy of Xenix for it. (Altos used a proprietary (non-IBM-compatable) disk format for thier installation disks, so you have to find Xenix on the right disks for it). The good news, however, is that if you just need an operating system to get it up and running, Don Maslin (donm@crash.cts.com) can supply you with a copy of Concurrent CP/M (Concurrent DOS) for the 686 (if that is what you have). It's a very nice operating system, even if you have to learn it from scratch (it's not difficult).

--T