PDA

View Full Version : 540c (if this is the wrong forum, please say so)

bobbymacbean
July 26th, 2007, 07:17 PM
hi - just got a 540c -

1)
one of the battery packs is missing - it looks to me that this leaves the internal parts somewhat exposed - my guess is that this is not a good idea - should i seal this and if so, short of finding a replacement battery pack, is there some other way to seal this effectively ?

2)
it starts up but displays the "?" floppy image - it's been so long since i've seen this, i've forgotten it's meaning - does this mean something minor and i need to find some diagnostic floppies or that the hard drive is fried or something else ?

i got this so that i would have something portable for limited internet access and to monitor email when i'm away for more than a few days so i will have a few questions about wifi later on - thanks for any advice - brian

Druid6900
July 26th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Batteries for the 540c are still readily available at about 129 bucks (I'd try e-bay first) there may even be a cover available for the compartment

As for the diskette, it usually means there is not a bootable device available. This could be something as simple as someone has wiped the hard drive or as complex as the HD is damaged.

I believe you can still download disk images from apple.com of the 8.1 to 8.5 (and earlier) operating systems.

Vlad
July 26th, 2007, 07:32 PM
You can download up to System 7 from Apple, but the catch is you have to have a Mac to make the disks, which shouldn't be an issue for you.

Mac OS 8 has not yet been released, just up to System 7.

Here is a link for System 7.5.3

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/

Also here are the Spec's from Apple's website:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112267

Sharkonwheels
August 2nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Internet?

Dang - a 540c will probably tick you off, if you want to surf on it.
Might want to look for something a wee bit newer, say, like a 2400c

Tony

Starshadow
August 9th, 2007, 01:52 PM
actually It depends on the amount of RAM in the 540c. I had a Quadra 700 that had 32 mb of RAM running system 7.5.5 and used it to surf the web for about a year. It was definately faster than some early Pentiums online. The 540c has a 68c040, and while the FPU is disabled, it was still a fast cpu for its day.