PDA

View Full Version : hard drive copy program

linemanduke
July 29th, 2007, 01:30 PM
is there a program i can use that's free to copy my 701c's hard drive to a bigger one using the diskette drive?

billdeg
August 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
copy *.*

:-)

ziloo
August 2nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
Years ago I used a software called FastCopy that you can probably find it as
free download on the web. The DOS version was a small program on one
diskette.

ziloo

carlsson
August 3rd, 2007, 05:37 AM
Won't xcopy work with floppies? If I understand Lineman Duke correctly, he basically wants to back up one hard drive on floppies, and then restore the contents on another hard drive. I suppose the computer in question does not allow attaching two hard drives simultaneously. Maybe you will have to look for some backup software.

Jorg
August 3rd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Assuming we do not have much to do with non-accessible system files like under windows, I would definitely use ARJ for that.

Something like:

ARJ a A:backup -r -v1440 -a1 -b2 -hk -js -jt -jiC:\backup.inx -wC:\

(-v1440 for 1.44 mb disks)

should do it nicely (use ARJ /? to check on the parameters)

carlsson
August 3rd, 2007, 07:18 AM
Ayep, I was thinking about some archiving software too, but couldn't remember which one spans over several floppies. Somewhere I have a set of 720K disks containing an ARJ archive with a pirate copy of XTree Gold, my favourite MS/DOS file manager of the day.

Druid6900
August 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
with a pirate copy of XTree Gold, my favourite MS/DOS file manager of the day.

Pirate? No, no, no, Carlsson, EVALUATION COPY :)

carlsson
August 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Yeah, well. Considering that it took at least 6-7 years from that I obtained the software until I owned my first PC compatible, it wasn't much of evaluation. Besides, by then DOS was no longer my first choice of operating system.

Enough off-topic. ARJ as suggested by Jorg should do the job quite well, and save a few floppies compared to any backup system without compression.

Jorg
August 3rd, 2007, 10:59 AM
Altough NC and Xtree are actually better, I stuck with PCtools for a long time.
Just because I was used to it

linemanduke
August 5th, 2007, 09:51 PM
well i screwed up the hard drive its not formated and yes i can only hook up one drivei tried norton ghost but i ran out of disk lol (i stoped at 187) and ws hoping to find somthing that yuses less disk than the 218 it wanted

ahm
August 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I never had the patience to try to use floppies to clone a hard drive.

I used to use a null modem cable and a DOS file transfer program called Brooklyn Bridge by Fifth Generation Systems. It was especially handy because you could put one machine into a mode where the entire transfer process could be controlled from the other.

Or, if the machine is on a network and you have an NFS server (like a Linux or BSD server) with a partition you can write to, you could use XFS (http://www.google.com/search?q=xfs191.zip) and XCOPY to clone the drive contents. Once you've replaced the drive with a bigger one, just reverse the process to copy everything back.

Andy

linemanduke
August 6th, 2007, 03:17 PM
also somthing i forgot to say is the drive is split up and compressed by drive space which has also caused a problem and i dont have space to expand it.

linemanduke
August 6th, 2007, 03:18 PM
a null modem cable? whats that?

ahm
August 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
a null modem cable? whats that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem