PDA

View Full Version : What Apple II disk drive is this?

Trixter
August 9th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I recently acquired an Apple //e, monitor, and disk drive. The disk drive fires right up, makes the clack-clack-clack recalibration noise, but then does nothing. I've tried it with several known good disks.

I'd like to start troubleshooting it, but don't know where to begin because I'm not sure what model of drive I have. It's not the original, nor the later modern IIc low-profile drive. Here's a picture:

It's Apple-branded -- what drive is this? Any common troubleshooting hints? I was going to try a speed adjustment first but if there's a common "it's always this problem" issue, please let me know.

Geo3
August 9th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Hi,
A couple of common things first.

1. The head needs cleaning.

2. The edge on the controller card needs to be cleaned.

3. Reseat the chips on the motherboard and controller card.

The head cleaning is one of the things. Either a head cleaning disk or Qtips with Isopropyl Alcohol.

The edge came be cleaned alot of ways. Even a white cottonT-shirt. If you sandwich the edge in the white COTTON shirt and rub across the edge connectors, you will see it the black oxidized material. Even putting it in and taking it out a few times will help to make a good connection.
POWER MUST BE OFF, UNPLUG THE COMPUTER put hand on the power supply to discharge any static charge.

Reseating the socketed chips just involves pushing down on the chips to make sure they have not started to come out. A fewshould make the scrunch sound when you are pushing down on them. Sodered chips do not have this problem.

BTW I could not see your drive picture. Either you have the old metal case Disk Drive][ or the newer plastic case apple drives.

If you need these I also have them. PM me if interested.

Take Care.
Geo3

Trixter
August 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM
It's the newer plastic case drive, I guess. It is beige all over, not the older style black faceplate.

I cleaned the head using a cleaning disk. As for the edges, those drives use a db15 (?) connector both on the drive and the back of the apple IIe, so there aren't any edges to clean.

I might try bootstrapping ADT Pro to see if I can at least format the drive or something...

Geo3
August 9th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Well the DB 15 eventualy goes to a I/O card right. In slot 6. With the power off clean the edge of the card and reseats the chipps.

Was able to see the drive it is the newer ones.

Take Care

david__schmidt
August 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM
It's Apple-branded -- what drive is this?
It's an A9M0107 or A9M0104, an Apple Disk ][ follow-on. See:
http://www.vintagemacworld.com/drives.html