PDA

View Full Version : Color Monitor Options for Apple II's

IIe
August 13th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Sooooo, when I picked up my IIe at a yard sale, it was with three monitors, two of the old green screens, plus probably the most huge and bulky color monitor there ever was. The thing must be one of the original color monitors for this system, 'cause it's a monster. My question gets to be, what other color monitors were compatible with the Apple computers, and how many of 'em were fairly compact (at least by the standards of the day)?

Starshadow
August 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM
any TV with a video Input would work. RCA used to sell a 13 inch with A/V inputs not too long ago that was nice and compact. The Color TI/99 monitor was pretty small if i remember.

Yzzerdd
August 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I have a color monitor "Designed" for the GS, using RCA output. Its screen is about 12" and is comparable to the green screen in size. It is normal weight for a monitor, and is great quality.

--Ryan

IIe
August 16th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Who made the best and lightest color monitors that were compatible with this system? Is an RCA output something special? Or is a small color TV the best option to hook the computer through nowadays?

Yzzerdd
August 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
RCA is the yellow plug you use to hook a DVD player to a newer TV. Personally I prefer Apple Color Monitors. They are crisp and clean. If you hook up to a TV, though, Apple requires you to use adapters, and you aren't allowed as many charecters on screen, and get double when using an Apple Color Monitor. But if you really want to use a modern TV, just don't cheap out. 12" screen or more, for quality.

--Ryan

billdeg
August 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM
me too (I like the newer Apple EGA style monitor).

When you look at the really old ads, the Apple II/Plus's often had two drives on the right (if you're facing the machine), and a little monitor that fit in the remaining space on top of the computer on the left.

Sharkonwheels
August 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Well, if you want color, and mega-compact, wasn't there a color monitor //c made for the //c? a little 9" job, with the funky metal stand? Were those composite, or RGB?

Tony

cookie_lu
August 27th, 2007, 10:41 PM
I don't think there's a compact color monitor for Apple IIc. They are green mono composite monitor with U-shape stand. In fact the smallest is the LCD monitor (mono) for IIc:

http://apple2history.org/museum/computers/a2clcd.html

For Apple IIe, you can use Apple A2M6021, a composite monitor or other compatible monitors. For better display, you can use RGB monitors like the AppleColor RGB, A2M6014, but you will need a RGB card for Apple IIe.

Sharkonwheels
August 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM
ColorMonitor //C - not as small as the U-Stand green-screen, but smaller thatn the standard color screens from Apple:

http://www.apple-forever.com/detail/50.html

This ended eBay listing has a photo showing the monitor and //c, to gauge the relative size:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-IIc-Color-Monitor-Mouse-Printer-Drive_W0QQitemZ180150405277QQihZ008QQcategoryZ8028 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tony