PDA

View Full Version : odd road sign

evildragon
August 21st, 2007, 09:18 AM
I've asked elsewhere, and no one can figure this road out.. florida DMV: the worst at inventing road signs...

I saw this while riding down the road to my house (a divided highway), and there's a spot where you could turn to get to the other side.

Well, they painted yellow lines on the road, and now this sign is up. But, what the hell does this damned thing mean?

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/road.gif

Yzzerdd
August 21st, 2007, 10:05 AM
I think it means while traveling down the divided highway, from either side NO TURNING LEFT. But hey, google it, or go to the Florida DMV.

evildragon
August 21st, 2007, 10:20 AM
I think it means while traveling down the divided highway, from either side NO TURNING LEFT. But hey, google it, or go to the Florida DMV.
yea, quite close.. i just called the local police station, and they said it means no uturns, and no left turns..

thing is, there's no road to take a left, it's only a 3-way road... they said they are changing it because of just this, confusing..

Yzzerdd
August 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM
Well, just means you'll have to drive further to get to your house, and chances are MapQuest will screw up directions to youre house for the next 5 years, although, they probably already did that :P

chuckcmagee
August 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM
Should have just done a standard "no left turn"! Can't do a u-ee if can't turn left.

evildragon
August 21st, 2007, 10:53 AM
Should have just done a standard "no left turn"! Can't do a u-ee if can't turn left.
but here's the kicker, you can't do a left anyway, there's no road there.. the only thing you could have done was a u turn.. excuse my ASCII art, but this is what the divided highway is like..

|| ||
|| ||
|}==={}============
|}==={}============
|| s||
|| ||
|| ||

(where "s" is where the sign was)

carlsson
August 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM
If there is no road, it is even more important to point out that you can't turn that way. ;-)

evildragon
August 21st, 2007, 10:47 PM
they know it.. the police said the sign was messed up from the start, it's not even a "legal" sign, as it's not in the handbook.. they said it should just say "No U-Turn" for oncoming traffic.. only those coming from the other road should see the "No Left Turn" sign..

here in florida, they screw up all the roads ;) just to turn off a highway, you have to go around a loop the size of a football field, because they don't know how to just take the road DOWN to the main road the exit goes too.. they are actually fixing this now, because in the roads were built in the 60's..

carlsson
August 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM
Hm, this one didn't turn out the way I intended:

http://www.anders.sfks.se/pics/uturn.gif

Sharkonwheels
August 22nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Dragon - that's just twisted.
That doesn't even LOOK like a legit sign.
Looks like someone spazzed out with Crayons in-hand!!

I wonder if someone copied it from a MAD magazine or something???? :D

Funniest part, is how the streets are done in downtown Miami, and in Miami Beach.
There are SO many freaking one-way streets, that it absolutely drives you BONKERS!

Tony

evildragon
August 24th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Dragon - that's just twisted.
That doesn't even LOOK like a legit sign.
Looks like someone spazzed out with Crayons in-hand!!

I wonder if someone copied it from a MAD magazine or something???? :D

Funniest part, is how the streets are done in downtown Miami, and in Miami Beach.
There are SO many freaking one-way streets, that it absolutely drives you BONKERS!

Tony
don't remind me of those ;)

they changed the sign.. this is how the new one looks..

http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/newsign.gif

i guess it makes a little more sense, but i don't see why they can't just use a regular no u-turn sign..

CP/M User
September 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Not sure if my comments are of any use now (after looking at your original sign), though where I work the main Boulevard which is divided by an island in the middle is regularly the case of people sneeking in on the wrong side of the road so they can get to their home 10 seconds quicker than driving up doing an U-Turn and coming back. It's very annoying when I see people do this! :-x

Initially thought perhaps it's one of those signs advising people coming off a main road that your not allowed to cut through on the wrong side of the road just so you can get to your home quicker.

The problem with that offence is unless there's a Police car sitting there waiting for those people, it's very difficult to police it and eventually it'll lead to an accident (perhaps another road toll).