PDA

View Full Version : I Got a C64 for free(i know a guy) but there are problems

supersPORT
September 13th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Gah why does all my second hand free stuff I get alwase have to be broken when I get it,

when it comes on it seems to go pure blue screen or show the text and then hang/currupt the text. any idea's?

i got it to work once, Q-bert rocks,

ahm
September 13th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Gah why does all my second hand free stuff I get alwase have to be broken when I get it,
Bad karma for exceeding the McQuary Limit (http://catb.org/jargon/html/M/McQuary-limit.html).

supersPORT
September 13th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Bad karma for exceeding the McQuary Limit (http://catb.org/jargon/html/M/McQuary-limit.html).
first let me say,
Grawr.
and
second, Whoa I did not know such a thing,

NathanAllan
September 13th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I'd try opening it up and dusting everything off real good, then see if there are any broken parts going to the chips, like memory or just anything. Wish I could help more.

Nathan

Terry Yager
September 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Waving a dead chicken over it never hurts either (the computer ghawdz must be appeased).

--T

Commodoreguy
September 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM

when it comes on it seems to go pure blue screen or show the text and then hang/currupt the text. any idea's?

i got it to work once, Q-bert rocks,

Here's a thought - oftentimes on the 64, the RAM goes bad and get unusually hot, which can cause those symptoms you describe. Ideally, get your hands on on a handheld laser thermometer and shoot it at the MB chips one by one. A chip that is much hotter than the others might be your problem. Look at the schematics in the back of the Programmer's Reference Guide or Google Commodore 64 schematics.

Hope this helps!

Druid6900
September 13th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Turn it on, leave it for 1/2 an hour.

Touch each of the RAM chips in order.

The one that burns the chip logo into your finger is the one that needs to be replaced.

chuckcmagee
September 13th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Hey, Druid! That one ain't funny! I put a Cyrix overclocked chip in the wrong way once. Think I had it rotated 90 degrees or something.

I ended up with a 2ND DEGREE burn on my finger using our fave finger temp gauge tech.

Needless to say, it didn't work when I pulled it out and put it in correctly.

Druid6900
September 13th, 2007, 09:52 PM
It's a good learning experience.

Trick is, you have to be FAST LOL

carlsson
September 13th, 2007, 11:51 PM
It is becoming to be a FAQ, but here is the link to Ray Carlsen's C= Repair Articles, one of a few resources to diagnose faults. See mailing lists etc for other sources.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm.html

Commodoreguy
September 14th, 2007, 07:12 AM
It is becoming to be a FAQ, but here is the link to Ray Carlsen's C= Repair Articles, one of a few resources to diagnose faults. See mailing lists etc for other sources.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/cbm.html

That is a great link!! Could this be stickied somewhere? Kudos to carlsson for this find. I have a SX-64 with a non-functioning drive; I can use info I found here to swap with a standalone 1541.

carlsson
September 14th, 2007, 07:22 AM
There's always the Link Exchange section, but nothing stays on top there as well.

Perhaps it is an idea for moderators to consider, to make one sticky topic in each subsection with useful links and general information about what the section covers? Users could submit links or post in regular messages, and mods will then update the sticky topic with the best ones.

supersPORT
September 14th, 2007, 11:42 AM
hmm it seems to like a nice cool down, and just doesn't like big games

its the psu

daniel_bingamon
October 22nd, 2007, 06:16 AM
The three components that used to fail all the time were the memory, the PLA chip or the Video Chip 6567.

Also, if it's really old, it might just need a new 7805 regulator. They were ran right a fail margin to begin with a little age and previous heavy would take it out pretty easy. It's located on the right inside near the joystick ports.

Kaptain Skitzo
November 24th, 2007, 11:54 AM
That is a great link!! Could this be stickied somewhere? Kudos to carlsson for this find. I have a SX-64 with a non-functioning drive; I can use info I found here to swap with a standalone 1541.

Funny, I had the same issue. TBH, I found it easier to bolt a 1581 to the upper case near the cart port and run a cable to the serial port. Works great, and I had jumper'd the internal drive to #10 so the external coule be #8.

Believe me, it's a real hassle trying to swap out the drive.
Good luck with it, though.