PDA

View Full Version : I just did the math.

facattack
September 15th, 2007, 07:57 AM
So far my Apple II GS has cost me $278.11.

$59.66 for the computer, monitor, 5.25 drive, and a defective keyboard.
$35 for two 3.5 floppy drives.
$9.24 for a mouse.
$27.98 for a USB adaptor (scsi to USB)
$59.35 for one external scsi zip drive and one internal zip drive.
$24.99 for a larger, working keyboard.
$61.85 for a SCSI card for the motherboard.

All prices including S/H.

All in all not a bad deal...

magnusfalkirk
September 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Yeah not a bad deal when you consider what that same amount of hardware would have set you back when the GS was first released.

So far my GS has run:

$45 for the GS
$26 for an Apple IIGS mouse and Keyboard
$51 for an Apple IIGS monitor
$5 for 2 Apple 5.25 daisychainable disk drives
$19 for a Apple 3.5 drive
$75 for a 4 MB memory expansion card

$222 total so far. Of course I'd like to add a Microdrive IDE Controller to it as a hard drive, but that will come in time.

Magnus

facattack
September 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I just did the math again.
Add

$37.10 for Macintosh LC III
$38.98 for Apple II E card to go into the LC III.

$354.19 is the new total.

Okay...

Lucky enough the LC III came with a NIC. Which is an unexpected, but pleasant surprise.

Oh, add 43.51 to the total for a SATA to IDE converter. (Gotta hook up an internal zip drive.)

Having done the math AGAIN, I realized how much I stinked at this stuff. I can't even get files to unpack properly using a Macintosh AND a recommended unpacking program. I just wanted to play games on a vintage computer and I can't even do that BECAUSE I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. I realize what I should be doing. I should be getting images off the internet. The disks themselves if they still exist that hold the games are just not going to be in working shape if what I've seen what people do to CDs is indicative; a fragile floppy disk could be in WORSE shape.

I tried an online emulator which was awesome. I tried an offline emulator which finally worked on my computer with a minimum of hassle. But I wanted the physical experience. Now, having blown a lot of cash of this stuff, I could almost be physically ill whenever something new or old gets messed up.

So anyway, God Bless the Apple/ Mac people. They know what they are doing. I respect y'all. But the good machines are just out of my price range. I just set the GS up in my bedroom so when I'm having trouble sleeping at night, I can look at it and be reminded what a great investment I've made into teaching myself something... :D

magnusfalkirk
October 12th, 2007, 09:30 AM
What kind of problems are you having with unpacking the Apple II disk images? if you go to this web site:

http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/A2FAQs7GAMESITES.html

you can find links to several different Apple II related websites where you can download ready to run disk images of games, applications, graphics programs and more for the Apple II.

With an LC III, and the right software, you should be able to simply create 800k 3.5 disks for the GS, and since you have a IIe card in the LC III you should also be able to write 5.25 disks for the GS as well.

If you describe the trouble you're having I'm sure we can find someone who can explain what to do to correct the problem.

Magnus

Having done the math AGAIN, I realized how much I stinked at this stuff. I can't even get files to unpack properly using a Macintosh AND a recommended unpacking program. I just wanted to play games on a vintage computer and I can't even do that BECAUSE I have no idea what the heck I'm doing. I realize what I should be doing. I should be getting images off the internet. The disks themselves if they still exist that hold the games are just not going to be in working shape if what I've seen what people do to CDs is indicative; a fragile floppy disk could be in WORSE shape.

I tried an online emulator which was awesome. I tried an offline emulator which finally worked on my computer with a minimum of hassle. But I wanted the physical experience. Now, having blown a lot of cash of this stuff, I could almost be physically ill whenever something new or old gets messed up.

So anyway, God Bless the Apple/ Mac people. They know what they are doing. I respect y'all. But the good machines are just out of my price range. I just set the GS up in my bedroom so when I'm having trouble sleeping at night, I can look at it and be reminded what a great investment I've made into teaching myself something... :D

facattack
December 17th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I burned out the fuses on the LC III when I plugged the PC compatible paraellel port zip drive into its SCSI drive. And the Adapter I bought didn't come with a Y-plug.

I need a software solution within Windows or DOS to make disk images into floppies. I can download the files fine, but the problem comes when I put a floppy in my computer's external floppy drive. The floppy is DRIVE B. Cider Press (which is supposed to read/write 3.5 apple II disks) will ask me to format the disk if I initialized a blank one using the GS. If I format a disk for DOS, the GS won't read it.

I'm not stupid, but I feel I must be. Somehow.

david__schmidt
December 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I burned out the fuses on the LC III when I plugged the PC compatible paraellel port zip drive into its SCSI drive.
Ouch!

I need a software solution within Windows or DOS to make disk images into floppies.
Nope, stop right there. That's not an option open to you. Your PC can't write disks that your IIgs can read.

I can download the files fine, but the problem comes when I put a floppy in my computer's external floppy drive. The floppy is DRIVE B. Cider Press (which is supposed to read/write 3.5 apple II disks) will ask me to format the disk if I initialized a blank one using the GS. If I format a disk for DOS, the GS won't read it.
Nope, not going to happen. Your easiest solution would be to use ADTPro (http://adtpro.sourceforge.net) to send the disk image down to the IIgs for diskette creation. When the IIgs writes the diskette, the IIgs can read it. ;-) CiderPress reads and writes Apple II disk images, not physical disks.

magnusfalkirk
December 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I burned out the fuses on the LC III when I plugged the PC compatible paraellel port zip drive into its SCSI drive. And the Adapter I bought didn't come with a Y-plug.

I need a software solution within Windows or DOS to make disk images into floppies. I can download the files fine, but the problem comes when I put a floppy in my computer's external floppy drive. The floppy is DRIVE B. Cider Press (which is supposed to read/write 3.5 apple II disks) will ask me to format the disk if I initialized a blank one using the GS. If I format a disk for DOS, the GS won't read it.

I'm not stupid, but I feel I must be. Somehow.

You're not stupid, it took me a while to figure out how to transfer disk images to my IIe but once I found ADTPro that David mentioned, and wrote by the way, it went pretty easy. Once I got the cables I needed it was easy going and is still using the GS now. With it you can transfer the disk images from your PC/Mac to the GS and have it write the image to a physical disk again that the GS can read and run.

Hang in there and we'll help you get your GS up and running the software you want.

Magnus

tezza
December 17th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hi,

I just took delivery of an Apple IIe last week. The maths were good with this one. It came with two disk drives and colour monitor for about $75 US. Everything works!

Ony problems are:

1. I have no DOS, just a few self-booting demo disks.
2. I know almost nothing about how Apples work!

So, I'll have to find a real apple disk copy of ProDoS somewhere. I've also downloaded some manuals which I'll print out some day. The IIe will have to wait though until I finish my current project i.e. getting some Internet-sourced C64 software from my PC to my new Commodore 1541 drive so I can use them on the real C64.

There is just not enough hobby hours in the day!

Unknown_K
December 18th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I have a IIgs (ROM 1 1.25MB RAM), 2x 3.5" and 2x 5.25" drives, Apple Rev C SCSI card and a 120MB HD.

I installed GS/OS 6 onto the HD and installed networking (using a serial cable to a 68k Mac) and HFS support. I dump disk images to the IIgs HD or to a 44MB Syquest and then convert the image to a real floppy using Shrinkit under GS/OS.

To play I just power down the external SCSI drives and the machine boots from the game floppies.

I think I paid $45 (3 years ago?) for the IIgs, 2 drives, keyboard, mouse, and monitor shipped (some school markings on the unit). $45 or so shipped for the SCSI card, a second set of mint floppy drivers were picked up recently for free. The external HD I had. So thats around $90 or so. I also got an apple joystick for free (plus shipping).

facattack
December 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I just have a 20 MB (vintage) hard drive, no SCSI card. But I've got a SASI card... :(

Yzzerdd
December 18th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Hi,

I just took delivery of an Apple IIe last week. The maths were good with this one. It came with two disk drives and colour monitor for about $75 US. Everything works!

Ony problems are:

So, I'll have to find a real apple disk copy of ProDoS somewhere. I've also downloaded some manuals which I'll print out some day. The IIe will have to wait though until I finish my current project i.e. getting some Internet-sourced C64 software from my PC to my new Commodore 1541 drive so I can use them on the real C64.

I can drag out my IIc and make copies of its ProDos disks if you want. I hear they are compatable with eachother. I would have to send then snail mail, though, as I don't know the first thing of transferring between ProDos and DOS.

--Ryan

fred3rd
December 18th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I wish I had known there was such a demand for IIgs's. I'm moving all my puter stuff from storage to our new home. Today I brought home 3 IIgs's, 13 IIe's, 1 lcII and 2 lc III's. That's just one car load. I gotta trim down my collection.

tezza
December 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I can drag out my IIc and make copies of its ProDos disks if you want. I hear they are compatable with eachother. I would have to send then snail mail, though, as I don't know the first thing of transferring between ProDos and DOS.

Ryan, I would really appreciate that, thanks! I'll get in touch with you by private message on this site to arrange.

tezza
December 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I wish I had known there was such a demand for IIgs's. I'm moving all my puter stuff from storage to our new home. Today I brought home 3 IIgs's, 13 IIe's, 1 lcII and 2 lc III's. That's just one car load. I gotta trim down my collection.

Whoa! How big is your collection!???

My significant other is happy with the number of machines I've got listed in my signature but any more over that would require some tough negotiating! :)

magnusfalkirk
December 18th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Hi,

Ony problems are:

Since you say you have access to a PC you should check out ADTPro, you can find it here: http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/ with this software, a Super Serial Card in your Apple IIe and the right cables you can transfer as much Apple II software over to your IIe as you like, as long as you have 5.25 disks to write the software on to.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple II's!

Apple II Forever, truly.

Magnus

tezza
December 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Since you say you have access to a PC you should check out ADTPro, you can find it here: http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/ with this software, a Super Serial Card in your Apple IIe and the right cables you can transfer as much Apple II software over to your IIe as you like, as long as you have 5.25 disks to write the software on to.

Cool. I'll check it out.

fred3rd
December 18th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Tezza

I guess around 75 to 100 units total not counting parts, pieces and software. She doesn't say too much. It was a package deal she got. Me and my computers were 1 lot as they say on ebay. I am planning on thinning out the heard though. I really do have more than enough.:rolleyes:

magnusfalkirk
December 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Tezza

I guess around 75 to 100 units total not counting parts, pieces and software. She doesn't say too much. It was a package deal she got. Me and my computers were 1 lot as they say on ebay. I am planning on thinning out the heard though. I really do have more than enough.:rolleyes:

Wow! What all do you have in your collection? My wife isn't happy that I've got a Mac Mini, Apple IIGS, Apple IIe and Apple IIc.

Magnus

Rockin' Kat
January 29th, 2008, 11:45 PM
In the time I was building on my IIgs I spent about $700 or so... the bulk of it being spent from a $20 a week allowance... But I generally havn't had to drop anything into it for a few years now. At this point, about the only thing I could add without having to remove something else is another SCSI hard drive....that or perhaps try speeding up my TWGS past 8Mhz.