PDA

View Full Version : eBay seller Vintagemicros

Sharkonwheels
September 18th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Wierd....and petty.

I won a NorthStar Z80 CPu board from him a couple months back, then we got into a conversation about my buying a full set of boards from him, so
he responded with stuff like this:

"Hi,
I looked at my remaining NorthStar units and they all need power supply work. These are probably not what you want. If you have decided that you do not want this Z80 board, that is OK. No problem.
Thanks!
John"

Hmm....doesn't SOUND bad... I responded telling him to contact me when he returns so we can plan out a boardset, and a chassis.

Then this:

"Hi, I need to take care of all outstanding items before we go on vacation. I need to know if you intend to pay for this item. No problem if you don't want it. I just need to know. Thanks!!!!!!!! ...John
Please email me at xxx@yyy.com if you have any questions"

Hmm. still doesn't SOUND bad....

If I'd known he was gonna get his panties in a bunch, I'd have paid him the lousy $30, and heck, he could keep the dang board!

I go to bid on his CP/M manuals a little while ago, and he had blocked me from bidding!

Anyone else ever have issues with this cat?
Man - that's about as bad as my wife's little tantrums...

Tony

Sharkonwheels
September 18th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Here's your payment, John.

You can keep the Z80 board - use the money to buy yourself some Midol for the cramps.

Tony

Payment Sent (ID #76G66211CD6203504)

Business Name:
VintageMicros Inc.
Email:
xxxxxx@mindspring.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Business Contact Information

Customer Service URL: http://www.xxxxxxxxs.com
Customer Service Email: xxxxxx@mindspring.com

Total Amount:
-$30.00 USD

Date:
Sep. 18, 2007
Time:
10:46:46 PDT
Completed

Subject:
For the Northstar z80 board
Note:
Here's the $30 for the NorthStar board you are apparently having a hissy-fit over.

eBay Item: 140124897627

You can keep the board - I didn't realize you were going to get your panties in a bunch over it.
You made it sound liek it was OK to not buy it, because we would discuss a set of S100 board when you returned. I've contacted you a few times, and no response.
I even messaged asking how your vacation was! Stupid me!

Vlad
September 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Nice. I don't get why some people want to sell something and then when someone pays the asking price get all weird and then don't want to sell it. Make up your mind. The midol jab was a nice touch, I lol'd.

chuckcmagee
September 18th, 2007, 10:14 AM
I have only purchased about 10 items from John! Never had a problem. He would even throw in free hard sectored disks sometimes. Think you guys got your wires crossed as in you thought you would pay at the end of the transactions and he thought otherwise.

Sharkonwheels
September 18th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Vlad, in all fairness to the seller, you misunderstood.
I asked to get out of it, so he could supply me with a complete set
of boards, and he was leaving on vacation, and was in a hurry to close open deals.

He made it sound like it was fine, and we went into discussing what chassis' he had, what boards he had, etc.. and then went on vacation.

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, I try to bid on the CP/M manuals he had listed, and it says I'm blocked.

Some people just enjoy being miserable in life, and try to spread it to others.

Tony

Sharkonwheels
September 18th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I have only purchased about 10 items from John! Never had a problem. He would even throw in free hard sectored disks sometimes. Think you guys got your wires crossed as in you thought you would pay at the end of the transactions and he thought otherwise.

No...there were MULTIPLE emails from him saying it was OK to not buy it, as I was looking to get a complete system, as both you and Terry can attest to, as I hit both of you up.

I guess I talked to one face, and you talked to the other.

Tony

Vlad
September 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Ah, I see now. I did read that wrong. Wonder what was up with that though? Seems like if you have someone interested in buying stuff you wouldn't block them.

Sharkonwheels
September 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah - I guess he wants to keep acting like a b|tch, and stay miserable.
And apparently, by paying him, I am harassing him.
Hm...I wish my mortgage company felt that way - I'd be good to go!
As attached, let this thread be proof, that I paid, and he refunded.
Attached is a screencap while I was in PayPal, reflecting both transactions.
Mebbe I should overnight him some Midol - he might have a critical case of PMS.

He refunded my payment, so I assume he wants to STAY miserable:

VintageMicros Inc.
Email:
xxxyyy@mindspring.com

Business Contact Information

Customer Service URL: http://www.vintagemicros.com
Customer Service Email: xyzxyzzyx@mindspring.com

Total Amount:
$30.00 USD

Date:
Sep. 18, 2007
Time:
11:37:03 PDT
Completed

Note:
Kindly stop harassing me

Vlad
September 18th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Wow, if he thought the midol comment was harassment I'd hate to see this guy in a chat room. Every other word would be grossly offensive.

Sharkonwheels
September 18th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Wow, if he thought the midol comment was harassment I'd hate to see this guy in a chat room. Every other word would be grossly offensive.

You kidding?
I didn't even MENTION Midol in the PayPal...I said this:

Subject: Here's the $30 for the NorthStar board you are apparently having a hissy-fit over.

eBay Item: 140124897627

Note: You can keep the board - I didn't realize you were going to get your panties in a bunch over it. You made it sound liek it was OK to not buy it, because we would discuss a set of S100 board when you returned. I've contacted you a few times, and no response. I even messaged asking how your vacation was! Stupid me!

Sharkonwheels
September 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Ah, I see now. I did read that wrong. Wonder what was up with that though? Seems like if you have someone interested in buying stuff you wouldn't block them.

Forgot to respond to you....and yeah, he coulda' turned that $30, into a few hundred, because let's face it, he has some REALLY nice stuff, in good condition, and alot of it is semi-rare. Instead, he turned it into zilch.

Well, I mean, if he has something, and I want it bad enough, I'll use my wife's account, my 2nd account, a friend's account, etc..

I mean seriously, gimme a break. I'll buy it if I freaking FEEL like buying it!

T

Vlad
September 18th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Crimony, I can read a schematic diagram but I managed to screw up reading a forum post. I need moar coffee or new glasses...

Anyway thats even worse! You could have been way more caustic than "hissy-fit". Its kinda funny really.

Sharkonwheels
September 18th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Well, it's kinda' said, because as we discussed what he had, and what I needed, and what was needed to run CP/M, etc... I was getting excited at the opportunity to build an S-100 system! Look at the attachment here, and you'll see it wasn't 1 or 2 emails - it was like a dozen!

I was literally counting the days until September when he returned, so I could start buying the stuff. When I saw he was listing stuff, I said 'Hmm' so I dropped a note.
No reply, so I figured he was catching up, getting into the swing of things, etc....
Sent another note, nothing.
On the CP/M manuals today, I sent a note last night, late though, asking if I bought it, could he send it quickly so I could take it with me to Europe...Nothing.

And then when I went to bid on the manuals, it said I had been blocked.

I emailed the guy like 3 times, asked to questions through eBay, and never got a response.

I mean, if you're gonna block me, that's fine, but be a man about it, and tell me you don't want to deal with me. No unpaid item dispute, nothing.
Don't be a b|tch about it - my WIFE has more b@llz than that.
She'll flat-out TELL me to F off and take a long walk on a short pier.

Tony

Vlad
September 18th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Looks like he's the one being rude really. Leading you all the way up to some uber nice goodies then going all "ZOMG harrasment D: " and blocking you for seemingly little to no reason. This is why I avoid ebay >.>

Bill_Loguidice
September 18th, 2007, 12:12 PM
I've had a few bizarre blocking experiences. I've had 100% perfect feedback across two user accounts and thousands of transactions, but I've come across a few guys (maybe even vintagemicros was one of them as it sounds familiar) who block if they get one little hair up their butts about some misunderstanding. Hell, I was blocked once by someone because someone ELSE screwed them over and I didn't want to pay for their mistake...

What surprises me is that these people can continue to be sellers. You would think with all the blocking and blocking the hardest core of collectors, eventually they'd block away most of their best potential buyers.

Sharkonwheels
September 18th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Oh, crud, now that I remember, I think I got an H8 proc board for ya.
Waiting for 100% confirmation, but I got a note over the weekend that he thought he had found one!

And, yeah, some people are just, oh, I don't know - it's not even worth going down to their level by calling names....

Whatever...we know who we are, and I don't think anyone on here can say anything bad about me ('cept mebbe you, Bill ;) ) and I don't know anyone on here I can say anything bad about either.

C'est la vie

T

Bill_Loguidice
September 18th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Oh, crud, now that I remember, I think I got an H8 proc board for ya.
Waiting for 100% confirmation, but I got a note over the weekend that he thought he had found one!

And, yeah, some people are just, oh, I don't know - it's not even worth going down to their level by calling names....

Whatever...we know who we are, and I don't think anyone on here can say anything bad about me ('cept mebbe you, Bill ;) ) and I don't know anyone on here I can say anything bad about either.

C'est la vie

T

Not to make this off topic, but that would be great. I would then just need to figure a way to address the power supply issue.

Also, I suppose it would be a roundabout way of doing it, but if there was something any of us MUST have, I suppose we could bid via proxy through each other with an eBayer that blocked us. However, I can't see very many scenarios where it's worth the trouble (or benefit to the seller)...

chuckcmagee
September 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I praised one seller for selling his items "one at a time". Seems like you get a better profit margin when you do that. Anyway, he thinks I was being sarcastic and blocks me. I raised hell about being blocked and he said "Oh, I thought you were being sarcastic. I'll take off the block right away". Which he did, I have some nice MFM hard drives now.

Sharkonwheels
September 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
I have some nice MFM hard drives now.

heh - hopefully you can part with 1 or 2 of them :D:D

Tony

NobodyIsHere
September 18th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I had a similar experience lately. I was talking to this guy (name withhelp to protect the guilty) about helping him sell some of his vintage S-100 stuff, setting up a Yahoo Group, taking an inventory, what to do for Ebay, etc. So later on after not hearing anything for several days, I ask if he wants to sell me some of the stuff and what he wants for a few of the boards. He won't say but says "make an offer for one or all the boards". OK, I think, I will make a low but reasonable opening offer. So I make an offer of what I thought was fair and reasonable. True, it was not a really high offer but it was an opening bid expecting him to come back and negotiate.

The guy totally freaks out on me and sends back a nasty gram saying "I thought you were a serious buyer" and all this rude junk. Like, if you had a minimum in mind, why not say so when I asked you up front? If you ask for an offer and you don't like it, counter with what you think is reasonable or just say "no thank you" and drop it. But nooo... He proceeds to throw a fit and get all rude about it. He says "I'd rather keep them". Fickle? Capricious?

I am thinking to myself, "do I need this headache?" answer: "no".

I'd rather just pay the people on Ebay than deal with this childish nonsense.

Tony, some people are just difficult. There is nothing you can do about it other than forget it and move on.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

barythrin
September 18th, 2007, 07:51 PM
lol. No kidding. Make an offer means make an offer.. not "I know what I want and you better guess it!". I mean.. I'm sorry.. if you don't want the item and just want to get an offer, I'll give a low offer that would make it worth my while. I'm not doing research for you to find the best price you can gouge me for.. maybe I'm a bad person for that but sometimes I don't know the value or they don't know what it is and I may not need it but am curious enough to prod for it.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting since it's not doing anyone any good lol.

Sharkonwheels
September 18th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I had a similar experience lately. I was talking to this guy (name withhelp to protect the guilty) about helping him sell some of his vintage S-100 stuff, setting up a Yahoo Group, taking an inventory, what to do for Ebay, etc. So later on after not hearing anything for several days, I ask if he wants to sell me some of the stuff and what he wants for a few of the boards.

Andrew Lynch

Oh - I saw that from 'V' from the git-go - that's why I didn't even buy anything from that nut. I had the SAME experience, except he actually countered with a price that was like, so out there, I just said no thanks, and that was that - I was afraid the stupid might rub off on me via email, it was so overwhelming!

T

Unknown_K
September 19th, 2007, 06:55 AM
I don't like sellers who do the give me an offer game either. If you are actively selling then you should have a price in mind. If I walk up to somebody who has something I want that is not for sale then I should be the one floating an offer.

If you are selling and want an offer (won't throw out a price), I will lowball you every time. Some people do get pissy about it, others will then shoot you a price they want. The people that get pissy don't bother me, I just figured they expected an offer above the current going rate (looking for a sucker).

As far as what something is worth, that depends on where you are and how you are selling it. Don't expect ebay prices if you are not selling on ebay, and even there prices can bounce around quite a bit on niche items.

Terry Yager
September 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
As to the original topic, the only first-hand experience I have with vintagemicros was when he had a Lisa II up, including a ProFile drive. I sent him a message to inquire if the Lisa came with the controller board for the Profile, as it was not mentioned in the listing and not shown in the pictures. The only response I got from him was "Well DUH! It's a Lisa!". Needless to say, I have never attempted to bid on any of his auctions since, so I have no idea if I'm blocked or not.

In his favor though, I must say he sells a lot of kewl vintage stuff, usually for pretty reasonable prices.

--T

chuckcmagee
September 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I went thru all my saved paypal receipts to VintageMicros. All the prices were fine. I paid close to what I was expecting to pay. Like I said before, he has even thrown in some free diskettes (hard sectored ones!) on some of my S-100 purchases.

Sharkonwheels
September 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I guess you're the only one, so far, that he hasn;t gone psycho-nuts on.

But, yes, he usually has nifty stuff, and the price is usually right.

T