PDA

View Full Version : I finally got my Xebec SCSI card for Apple IIGS AND my zip drive.

facattack
September 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I stuck the SCSI card into slot 7. Finally realized there were screws on the plug thingie so I unscrewed those, put the plug in, then screwed it tight from the outside. :D Turned on the computer (after having set it start up from the smart port). It loads, but doesn't show my RAM any more.

I can understand that much. RAM isn't part of the smart port, so it's only going to show my disk drives. No problem.

BUT, now how do I install the SCSI thing so that the computer recognizes the fact there's a zip drive attached to it?

Geo3
September 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
The Xebec is a SASI not SCSI. It was a precursor to SCSI. I know that Ramfast is supose to work with the Sider drives, but I never heard of any one using Xebec to connect to anything SCSI.
If was to work, you would need the GS/OS system disks to format the cart, then install the GS/OS on to it. Now would the Sider utilties work with the Xebec and the SCSI zip I do not think so.

Take Care

facattack
September 20th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Doesn't sound very sassy, does it? :(

So what do I do with this card?

david__schmidt
September 20th, 2007, 02:53 AM
So what do I do with this card?
Put it up on eBay. Call it RARE. :D

facattack
September 20th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Not worth anything for a trade?

david__schmidt
September 20th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Not worth anything for a trade?
Apple SCSI cards have generally been going for ~$75-$150 depending on collectability and accessories. They're quite useful. SASI, on the other hand... not so much. ;-) Collectability/utility is in the eye of the beholder, though!

chuckcmagee
September 20th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Oh good, you guys did the "sassy" joke already. Now, I don't have to.

facattack
September 20th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I can't believe I made that stupid mistake. I noticed that it didn't look like a SCSI card with the different ribbon thing. I also noticed the "SASI" tag, but it also said "SCSI." :(

facattack
September 20th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Here's the email I got from the seller.

Hello Michael,
I know lots of SCSI devices are compatible with the SASI card, however
it really depends what you are using it on. Send a message to '(name witheld)' on eBay he is an expert on this sort of thing and might be able to help you
get it working.

I found this webpage (http://www.peripheral-vision.com/pdf/ss1.pdf) that mentions a bridge device. I'd rather just bid on another SCSI adaptor and leave the SASI one storage if nobody wants it.

Wow! Read this! :D
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-4789.html