PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac 7200/90 Newbie Questions

benali72
September 22nd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Hi,

I'm a reasonably knowledgable PC guy but no absolutely nothing about Macs.

Today I found an old Power Mac 7200/90 curbside. I'd love to get it working and play around with it.

A couple of beginner questlons --

1- The mouse was missing and I notice it takes a 4-pin connector (instead of the 6-pin you see on PCs.) Does this mean I need to get a "Mac mouse" ?

2- How do I open the case? Is it possible if I don't have the "security key" for the back of the case?

3- The cable connecting the monitor to the system unit was missing. It's a model 1705 monitor and it appears the cable needs both ends Male, the system unit end is DB15 Large size and the monitor end is DB15 Small size. Am I correct on this? (I want to make sure before I run out and buy a cable!)

Thank you very much for your help to this newbie. (I try to be more self-sufficient but haven't found the manual online anywhere)

Thank you! ;)

Vlad
September 23rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
1- The mouse was missing and I notice it takes a 4-pin connector (instead of the 6-pin you see on PCs.) Does this mean I need to get a "Mac mouse" ?

Yes, its called the Apple Desktop Bus. (ADB) Those still rather common and shouldn't be too hard to find.

The specs and general information can be found here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=112323

benali72
September 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM
Thank you, Vlad... sounds like I just need to get a used "ADB mouse."

Does anyone know how I open the case?

(does it require a key or something?)

Thanks.

Starshadow
September 23rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
Alot of the PowerMacs have the motherboard slide out like a Blade server.

benali72
September 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks, guys.

I finally got it open... found a PDF file someone placed online about how to open a "mini mac" (a newer machine) but the instructions were still good. Starshadow, you had it right.... thing slides just like a blade server. Turns out the secret is that you have to use a putty knife to wedge out the sides first and pop out some plastic catches.

Looks like this baby has 4 ram slots, 3 filled for 132M ram (8M + 64M + 64M). VRAM is 1 slot filled of 3 available, for 2M VRAM (1M soldiered on, plus 1M added).

Nice machine, someone had added a lot to it and used it for years. Now I just gotta get my butt over to the used parts shop and buy the odd-ball monitor cable and the ADB mouse.

Thanks for the help, I'm on the road with it now.

benali72
September 23rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
am i tired or what...

Terry Yager
September 23rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
I've got a Kensington ADB trackball handy if you need it, free for postage. (I think I may have a brand new mouse too, if I didn't throw it away).

--T

benali72
September 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your kind offer. As it turns out, I just got back from the used parts store and found an old ADB mouse and monitor cable, all for only $10, but thank you for your offer.

This machine is fun... don't think I'd want to use a Mac myself but I can see why some people like them.

Starshadow
September 24th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Macs are a hoot. I have several, from an old 128k to a iMac DV+. I even have a IIfx running A/UX.

They definitely are quite underrated. Once you learn the interface, you see how nice it was. Just be careful, you'll soon start adding software, hardware etc just to see what she can do, then you'll want a bigger, badder, faster Mac. They can be addicting.

benali72
September 24th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Right you are... I hope I can avoid getting hooked and putting money into this thing!