PDA

View Full Version : Odd auction I"m bidding on.

facattack
September 23rd, 2007, 05:09 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120164233264&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

What I don't understand is why he took the Apple II GS apart? There's no motherboard, no case. Just the CPU and a bunch of periperhals. Not that I mind. I already got the computer itself.

Terry Yager
September 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
I dunno, sometimes our equipment is valued at less than the sum of it's parts. When I recently ol my ol' ThinkPad 770, I broke it down and sold the individulal parts for a much higher sum than what complete, similarly configured systems were selling for on eBay at the time. Go figger...

--T

Sharkonwheels
September 23rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
You sure it's not spares that are included?
In the 1st photo, the GS is on top of the monitor.

Tony

chuckcmagee
September 23rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Yep, plus it's in the listing! I think the source of the confusion is the seller doesn't realize that "processor" is only a small part of the system. He/She is using the word to mean the whole thing. So, I really don't think it's been taken apart or anything.

facattack
September 23rd, 2007, 04:03 PM
Well actually, on top of the monitor is the Vulcan hard drive... No wait... it does look like the computer, but the label implies that the part is a hard drive, possibly external. ???? It says something about "Disk One Slot 7, Disk Two Slot 7." Did Vulcans come as internal hard drives? Oh well. Even if doesn't come with a hard drive, it shows a lot of disks and a printer.
Isn't the "processor" the silver thing which say "caution"? Or is that just the power source?

LOL! I found this in the manual for the hard drive: "A small flatbladed screwdriver may prevent you from breaking a nail."

... Oh wow. Looks like you take out the power supply the REPLACE it with the actual hard drive. What a big hard drive.

http://www.apple-iigs.info/doc/fichiers/vulcaniigs.pdf

What confuses me more is the fact that I've seen people selling keyboards that they stripped out of a possibly working Tandy 1000 EX or HX....

barythrin
September 23rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Interesting auction. On the bright side, looks like a lot of cool software in either sense. Yeah, I'm a bit confused as to what that front panel is, but I never customized any GSs.

Terry Yager
September 23rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Well actually, on top of the monitor is the Vulcan hard drive... No wait... it does look like the computer, but the label implies that the part is a hard drive, possibly external. ???? It says something about "Disk One Slot 7, Disk Two Slot 7." Did Vulcans come as internal hard drives? Oh well. Even if doesn't come with a hard drive, it shows a lot of disks and a printer.
Isn't the "processor" the silver thing which say "caution"? Or is that just the power source?

LOL! I found this in the manual for the hard drive: "A small flatbladed screwdriver may prevent you from breaking a nail."

... Oh wow. Looks like you take out the power supply the REPLACE it with the actual hard drive. What a big hard drive.

http://www.apple-iigs.info/doc/fichiers/vulcaniigs.pdf

What confuses me more is the fact that I've seen people selling keyboards that they stripped out of a possibly working Tandy 1000 EX or HX....

A lot of people refer to the main computer unit as a 'hard dive', even if the system doesn't have an hdd at all. I've even seen the term misused in textbooks, so a lot of people who take computer classes come out of them having learned the wrong vernacular to begin with.

As to the Vulcan drive, yes, it does indeed reside within a replacement power supply, so the installation consists of simply swapping-out the old PS for the new.

--T

Terry Yager
September 23rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Just took another closer look, and FWIW, it does appear that the Vulcan is some sort of external unit (the device atop the monitor), although that is something I've never seen or heard of before. Please tell us more details after you win the auction.

--T

facattack
September 24th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I'm not going to win... the bidding is above $130 at this point.

Okay... I'm tossing $255 plus $76 shipping at this baby. If someone else wants it, that's what they've got to top.

Okay.... now I'm really stretching the old purse strings. $475 plus S/H is all I've got. That person with five feedback is killing me. :D