PDA

View Full Version : Who needs school pictures to be MADE????

NathanAllan
April 5th, 2004, 11:13 PM
I was kinda worried today cause I can't afford school pics to be made for my wife's son, but then I looked again at my computer setup, realised I had a scanner and that we will be given a proof before the final distro of pics. I have a photojet printer, the scanner is 600dpi which ain't the best but it cuts the mustard, and I'll have pictures before anyone else! HA! I love this stuff. A point of light in the dark cloud!

carlsson
April 6th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Don't tell the photographer (or the kid, who might tell someone). After all, the photos are most probably copyrighted by the photographer, who may be very upset if you are copying his work, even if it is for personal use and of your wife's own son. At least that is how it works here in Sweden.

Of course, the beauty of scanners and decent printers is that you can compose your own family photo, selecting the best picture of everyone and merging it somehow into a single photo. You can even add a celebrity of your choice standing next to the sofa if you are in the mood of that. :lol:

Terry Yager
April 6th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Don't tell the photographer (or the kid, who might tell someone). After all, the photos are most probably copyrighted by the photographer, who may be very upset if you are copying his work, even if it is for personal use and of your wife's own son. At least that is how it works here in Sweden.

I think it's more of a joint copyright here. At least, the subject of the photo still retains some kinda rights to how it can be used. I know my sister sold the rights to some of her photos to a tabloid, so they now have the right to use them in any way they see fit (and they do). They couldn't do that unless she sold them (and signed a contract to that effect). See Carol Yager (first entry) at this url:

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/dimtext/kjn/people/heaviest.htm

Of course, the beauty of scanners and decent printers is that you can compose your own family photo, selecting the best picture of everyone and merging it somehow into a single photo. You can even add a celebrity of your choice standing next to the sofa if you are in the mood of that. :lol:

Heh, my g/f made a pic of Mt. Rushmore, replacing the dead presidents faces with those of "our" three children. Turned out pretty good, too.

--T

carlsson
April 6th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Maybe when you bought the printed photo, you get rights to distribute them further, or I'm wrong about how it works here - it is more than 10 years ago someone has ordered to take a photograph of me and then asked me to buy it. No, I haven't encountered that on a holiday trip yet.

Are you bothered about the list, or rather proud of your sister was and still is Number One? I noticed her story has reached both Slovenian and Dutch readers, although one blogger accidentaly added another 300 pound to her officially estimated top result... :?

Who knows, maybe one day you appear on another "freak show" list about the most devoted computer collectors, or does your place of living not permit that hobby to evolve that far?

Terry Yager
April 6th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Maybe when you bought the printed photo, you get rights to distribute them further, or I'm wrong about how it works here - it is more than 10 years ago someone has ordered to take a photograph of me and then asked me to buy it. No, I haven't encountered that on a holiday trip yet.

I'm not real sure exactly how it works, I'm no expert on intelectual property (is anyone?).

Are you bothered about the list, or rather proud of your sister was and still is Number One? I noticed her story has reached both Slovenian and Dutch readers, although one blogger accidentaly added another 300 pound to her officially estimated top result... :?

Actually, when she was alive, she was quite proud of claiming the title, so I was (and still am) proud for her too. The freak-show nature of the webpage kinda bothers me, but I have wanted to make a webpage dedicated to her for a long time, just haven't found the time to do so. I'm glad that someone else has chosen to immortalize her, however inaccurately. At least they didn't attempt to retouch the photo, like The Sun has done.

Who knows, maybe one day you appear on another "freak show" list about the most devoted computer collectors, or does your place of living not permit that hobby to evolve that far?

Nah, I can only dream of such fame. Too many others have carried the obsession a lot further than I could ever hope to. It would have to be a very long list to include me.

--T

vic user
April 6th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Whenever my daughter brings back her school proofs, to pick which ones to buy, the proofs have the company logo super imposed on the pics.
smart buggers.

too bad, because I have use super high end plotters at work, and you wouldn't believe the things i can do with them.

chris

carlsson
April 7th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Maybe you can remove or fuzz out the school logo? Oh well, maybe you can buy only a reduced number of printed copies and make your own as needed.

Codeware
May 19th, 2004, 10:32 PM
By the way, everything you're discussing here is *illegal.*

Terry Yager
May 20th, 2004, 03:24 AM
By the way, everything you're discussing here is *illegal.*

Yes, but is it immoral? Or, is it more immoral of the school to charge $45.00 for a stupid pack of school pix?

Actually, I think that if you do buy a small pack and then scan & print multiple copies, that is fair use of the pix that you bought. (Of course, I'm not a lawyer or an IP expert).

--T

NathanAllan
May 20th, 2004, 06:47 AM
It seems that copying the proof is a moot issue now, the pics came out and he didn't get one. I guess someone got smart at the studio, heh heh. I can still take my own pics and print them out though. I can say they are school pictures and have him hand them out to friends and stuff.

About it being illegal, that does not bother me in the least. The state the world is in now what *is* legal (anarchist in me poking out a bit there, or according to the survey, LIBERTARIAN)? That's another thread though, heh heh.

Nathan

CP/M User
May 22nd, 2004, 02:07 AM
"Codeware" wrote:

> By the way, everything you're discussing here is *illegal.*

Specifically, which parts are illegal? This thread or the whole
vintage forum.

CP/M User.

CP/M User
May 22nd, 2004, 02:11 AM
"NathanAllan" wrote:

> About it being illegal, that does not bother me in the least.
> The state the world is in now what *is* legal (anarchist in
> me poking out a bit there, or according to the survey,
> LIBERTARIAN)? That's another thread though, heh heh.

Exactly my point & since I asked him what Illegal here, this
thread or the whole forum? If simular threads are following
this, then they are also illegal! Funny, haven't seen any
complaints about the messages here & if they are then
Erik would remove them! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Thomas Hillebrandt
May 22nd, 2004, 07:35 AM
"Codeware" wrote:

> By the way, everything you're discussing here is *illegal.*

Specifically, which parts are illegal? This thread or the whole
vintage forum.

Neither...The discussion is not illegal. It's the subject of the discussion (as in "stealing" the pictures) that is illegal.

Just like copying music, which I as a musician resent. CD's may be expensive, and musicians may only get a very small percentage of that price, but if you don't buy them, they wont get diddley! But, I'm not here to preach, and don't want to get all mushed out in a screaming contest, so I'll shut up now! :roll:

carlsson
May 22nd, 2004, 11:37 AM
I'm on the same lines as Thomas. Hopefully, Internet distribution will result in bigger shares for the productive staff (not only artists, but producers too) and less shares for the man in the middle and fat bosses smoking cigars all the day.

When it comes to school photos, I believe that photographers make offers or have already settled an agreement on a superior level to deliver to all schools in an area, so if a single school would prefer a cheaper solution like a parent with good equipment taking pictures for self-cost, it would not be "allowed".

The question also is why the pictures are taken. In an elementary school it probably is mostly for picking out who's who on a group picture and for fun, while on a (much) higher level it may be used for ID cards. I'm not sure if the latter kind of pictures are offered in dozens of copies for private use though.