PDA

View Full Version : MP/M System online for your fun.

BrianCase1972
September 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I have placed a telnet accessible instance of MP/M running on an emulator on the internet at:

telnet://www.quadserver.com:23

I had no choice but to lock down the R.com and W.com DOS-CPM moving utilities because anyone could reach across and grab files out of the servers WINNT directory. I also had to put read protection on any file that simply caused the emulator to lock up. otherwise it is fuctional. I am looking for anyone interested in helping doctor up the system to make it something I can run full time including maybe a version of BYE5 or equivilant. I miss my old Altos 5 and this emulator brings back alot of memories. I will be happy to share how I got this running, and would love to get a vt100 version of Wordstar 3.3 running on it! BTW there are 4 consoles available but for some reason only 48.2KB of TPA this would be the first problem I need to solve!

Drives are A: I: j:

Have fun and let me know if you find anything that has the potential to endanger my server.

Terry Yager
September 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM
No joy. My W2K lapper failed to connect.

--T

kb2syd
September 25th, 2007, 12:00 PM
No joy here either. Maybe just a viral networking ploy. Did you look at the home page for the site?

Terry Yager
September 25th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I'd rather think the server is down...(my doctor calls it 'denial').

--T

DoctorPepper
September 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Same response here, it won't even return a ping.

BrianCase1972
September 25th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I forgot to punch a hole in the firewall on the router!!

try again. I appologize for the problem.

it looks like you should use a real Telnet client like PuTTY because the windows telnet client sends two CRLF chars to the emulator.
if you want to put any toys on there, ZIP them up and email them to me at my email address: mpm [at] quadserver [dot] com I will import them to a user area and email you back with where they are. It may take me 24 hours or so to get around to it. This could turn out to be a fun little project.

chuckcmagee
September 25th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Yes, seems to work fine now.

MikeS
September 25th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Works for me (W98SE/Explorer/Hyperterm).

What's the problem installing WS3.3?

m

BrianCase1972
September 25th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I can't find it, and the ones that I do find can't do VT100. I could have sworn they made a vt100 version of ws3. I have ws4 but it wont run in the TPA that I have available (48.2K)

does anyone know how to get a larger TPA in MP/M? perhaps running only 3 consoles?

I dont know alot about CP/M since me last experience with it was in 1991 as a high schooler using a Kaypro II/4/10 i had all three and loved them, then I got an ALTOS 5 and fell in love with MP/M. but then i got a car and the vintage computers fell to the wayside.

Now I'm back with them as a hobby!

MikeS
September 26th, 2007, 01:52 AM
I should have a copy somewhere; I'll have a look when time permits.

AFAIR you pretty well patched WS to whatever terminal you wanted to use,
although there were lots of already patched versions floating around the
BBSs.

Will let you know when (if) I find a copy.

mike

barythrin
September 26th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Bummer. Guess it's back down or busy?

Sharkonwheels
September 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM
One of the places I downloaded the disk images from for the Altos 5, had a WordStar disk, as I recall.

Oops, never mind. Just found it - WS4. Tried using GENSYS (is that it?) to reconfig the MP/M system? I think that's where you change the sizes of the terminals, isn't it? I think the System implementer's guide (I think unix4fun.com has it) has info on GENSYS.COM usage. Might be what you need.

Tony

BrianCase1972
October 1st, 2007, 09:03 PM
Sorry guys, the MP/M system will still be a project of mine, but at this exact moment, I decided to upgrade to Windows Server 2003. It rendered my HDD on the server unbootable and after days of playing with it we can't get it to install. I will roll back to Windows server 2000 this week and the whole mess will be back online by friday. Sorry about that... The good news is that since we spent $3000 on server software and its openned and unreturnable that means I get new hardware which WILL run it! so there is a siver lining to this all! I will post to this forum the minute it is up.

My plans are as follows:

* = accomplished

* Install SimH running an image of MP/M on telnet port running as a server service.
* Secure MP/M image so that it will not crash or freeze due to normal use. (i.e. set passwords and r/o appropriately)

TO-DO
! Find collection of software that really makes the system "ideal" for CP/M standards. and it should make it fun to use.
! Create an ASP page where users can restart the MP/M service in the event of a lockup. (Coldboot- I have the code wrotten, but I am working on permissions issues)
! Add option to web page to allow upload/download of files to a directory so that they can be imported into the MP/M HDD using read.com and downloaded after being exported using write.com (all without letting people read my C:\WINNT\ directory!!!
! Offer a CP/NET package in a ZIP format to people so that they can connect on port 4000 to play with that connectivity.
! Offer a distribution of what i have done so that other serverops can install the simulator and asp pages to make their own MP/M simulator.
! Install a BBS on the MP/M system so that people can visit and communicate the old fashioned way!

BrianCase1972
September 24th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Ok, I have put the service back on the server.
telnet://www.quadserver.com:23

you will need to let me know if it works, since our internal network has its own DNS and such and I havent tested it from the outside to make sure that port 23 is open.

This is completely a novelty for me, and I am doing it because I once has an Altos 5 MP/M machine that I LOVED, and I also was the proud owner of several Kaypro 10 machines. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Let me know hoe I can improve anything.

Druid6900
September 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Nope, doesn't look like it.

Ole Juul
September 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Actually it works just fine for me. Except I don't speak Altaireese. Here is my conversation from a few minutes ago:

F:\OLE$ mt quadserver.com -p23

Attempting to connect to quadserver.com...

Connected to the Altair 8800 (Z80) simulator

help

HELP?
0A>where am I?

WHERE?

F:\OLE$

Like I said: I don't speak Altaireese! :)