PDA

View Full Version : os/2 warp 4 for ps/2 486

Dwo Shwoom
September 25th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Hi, I recently learned that I'm going to get this ps/2 486 from my relatives down south. and I realized that os/2 may be dead or much older on the 486 I'm getting. I'm looking for the main install disk images, but the computer might only have floppy so I was wondering if anybody had some disk images from the os/2 warp 4 floppy install disks as well.

chuckcmagee
September 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Hmm, I never saw Warp 4 come with only floppies. They had a 3 floppy boot system and your cd-rom had to be OS/2 compatible or too bad.

I get them on ebay personally. Postage is usually more than the price.

SwedaGuy
September 25th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I, too, would find a copy on Ebay. Warp 4 is best, but can be expensive (I've paid as much as $120 for a full set) so Warp 3 might be a better choice if you're just a casual user. Additionally, Warp 3 is available in a floppy version--all 20+ disks of it.

As an additional wrench in your situation, making copies of the install disks can be sketchy, as IBM used a proprietary disk format for some of them. The first install disk (maybe the second) installs a driver for the special disk format the other install disks use.

On the up side, we have several PS/2s running warp, so it isn't a big problem...

Dwo Shwoom
September 26th, 2007, 08:04 AM
darn :mad:, lets just hope its has cd-rom

EDIT: Maybe I'll make a request at the marketplace to see if anyone has an original ps/2 cd-rom drive

SwedaGuy
September 26th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Do you know what model PS/2 it is?

SwedaGuy
September 26th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Oh, wait, it doesn't happen to be a PS/2 from a Pizza Hut, is it?

Dwo Shwoom
September 30th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Is that in lieu to my identity or did pizza hut have some sort of penchant for ps/2s? I have no clue where my relatives got this computer (they live out of state).

Also, before I forget, I remembered that they stated they found another computer along with it. For all I know, it could be a IBM-compatible, or if I'm lucky, a 5150 (they are so hard to find, and I havent got the money.)

SwedaGuy
September 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM
There was, for a time, a company out of Salt Lake City that sold a PS/2 server with IBM dumb terminals to support their pizza application. It was one of the earlier integrated delivery systems. I think it ran on SCO Unix, but don't quote me on that one...It was called "On-Time Systems" or something like that...I understand it was fairly comprehensive for its time.

Dwo Shwoom
September 30th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Interesting. I'd help, but my relatives aren't vey supportive of my love for my computers and are instead occupied with my cousin (the walking talking jock strap), typical. So I have no clue what type it is, but now that I know it might be a server with a dumb terminal, You can call me mud.

SwedaGuy
September 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Though it might be a server, that's a bit "might"...there were an awful lot of PS/2 models made, and by most accounts a lot of them were awful.

I, however, really like them--of course, I have something of an IBM fet...er, obses...no...um, penchant. Actaully I had wanted our businesses to be all IBM, so we invested in an AS/400 several years ago, and we've got lots of PS/2s--but, IBM isn't the best name in POS, so for front-end activities we use a combination of Micros, Fujitsu, Samsung (now SAM4S) and Uniwell.

Dwo Shwoom
September 30th, 2007, 02:08 PM
what is your business anyway?

yeah, I geuss it would be rare to get that system. though I would love to have one of those in my collection. imagine, a pizza endorsed ps/2 server and a dumb terminal to add to my collection. After all, I do have something of a...penchant for them

Dwo Shwoom
September 30th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Finally, found something that might be reliable.

clicky! (http://www.warpdoctor.org/downloads.html)

SwedaGuy
September 30th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Now, those are just the first two disks--when Warp 3 (and even 4) came out, drives larger than 4Gb were NOT the norm. To accommodate these outlandish drive sizes, IBM had to release updates of the first two installation disks to provide support for the larger media. You don't need them unless you drive is over 4Gb (doubtful on a PS/2, unless the original drive has been replaced), but even with these, you will still need the rest of the install kit.

My Warp 4 install sets make no mention of the ability to create install floppies from the CD, though this was not an uncommon notion "back in the day".

Warp 3, on the other hand, I have in both formats and is commonly available on ebay for next to nothing. Warp 3 is really fine, especially on an older computer. If you want to do web surfing, or other internet related things, 4 is probably better, but play with 3 and see if you like it.

About your first question, we have several businesses; we sell retail systems, we have a pizza place, a tanning salon and a hair salon. We are what you would call diversified.

Anonymous Freak
October 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I have disk images of OS/2 2.0 and 2.1. Those are probably 'vintage' enough to be generally okay to send to you.

I have OS/2 2.0 running on a PS/2 Model 77. 486 SX 25 originally, I have a DX2 66 upgrade in there, plus 32 MB RAM, and the original 200 MB hard drive. It came loaded with PC-DOS 6.3, I upgraded that to PC-DOS 7.0 and Windows 3.1; then OS/2 2.0. I'll likely throw OS/2 2.1 on next. (I have an OS/2 Warp 3 on its way in the mail, I'll be making disk images from it when it arrives.)

IBM only used their extra-big disk format "XDF" on PC-DOS 7. I never ran into it on any OS/2 disks, but I'll find out if Warp 3 has it soon enough. (And I *HAVE* gotten disk images of XDF disks to create, but I can't write them back out! And, of course, no Virtual PC-type program will read them.)

Correction: Warp 3 does, indeed, use XDF. I guess my last experience with Warp was on CD-ROM. heh. You learn something new every day. :-D