PDA

View Full Version : Driving Test Simulations

CP/M User
September 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM
The other day I heard something about Pilots for Aeroplanes are getting their license based on a Computer Simulation - or that it was rebutted because a Computer Simulation cannot replace a real Aeroplane. I imediately felt that if they can do that for an Aeroplane, then surely the same can be said for a Car license? One part (at least as far as the state of Victoria in Australia is concerned) of it requires you to do a Driving simulation on a computer. This has been going on for the last decade. Personally for myself I had to take it and it proves nothing except that the user can use a computer! :-x

CP/M User.

linemanduke
September 27th, 2007, 01:39 AM
when i took driving instruction here in Georgia to get my license they tried putting us on simulators that where hooked up to each other and in stead of driving we were racing each other :p so they took us off of them and said there nothing more than a game to us so we don't deserve to use them lol.

CP/M User
September 27th, 2007, 03:26 AM
linemanduke wrote:

when i took driving instruction here in Georgia to get my license they tried putting us on simulators that where hooked up to each other and in stead of driving we were racing each other :p so they took us off of them and said there nothing more than a game to us so we don't deserve to use them lol.

The test drive simulator they give me here must have being Test Drive 2 - The Duel - it was as slow and boring as that game.

Don't know about the States, though when I did it (in 1996) you had to get 50% of it right or else you don't get your drivers license. A friend told me they increased this to 80% when they did it though! :-x

CP/M User.

linemanduke
September 27th, 2007, 03:42 AM
yeah it went up to 120 mph pretty fun

barythrin
September 27th, 2007, 11:07 AM
You know, I found one a while back that you could get your learners permit by doing well enough in it but from what I remember it wasn't a racing game since it had street lights and stop signs, etc that you had to obey.

I wish I could remember what it was. I looked for it a few years after I found it and it sort of faded out of the spotlight but never could remember which one it was.

For airplanes I think x-plane was a simulator that was supposed to be real enough to get a license off of (it wouldn't give you one but for training purposes was supposed to be good). I played it and not being a pilot I got yelled at SO many times for stuff I had no idea about. I was taking off in a 747 or something, got yelled at for not (radioing?) in during the take-off (which was a little dumb since I can't talk to the game of course) but there were several switches to push on the radio that either said the right thing during the right time or were preprogrammed for permission, etc. I took off, got yelled at for not adjusting my flaps, I think I selected real weather so it was raining. I finally get up in the air after getting yelled at for not lifting the tires up (which atleast I figured out how to do that) and then it said something about since I didn't do something with my flaps or turn on something my wings iced over "enjoy the ride down" and the plane took a wonderful nose dive. I decided that game was a better sim than a fun game lol.

I also tried a helicopter but after half an our of either spinning in circles (someone later pointed out I didn't start my back propeller) and taking off and getting JUST high enough off the ground to have the helicopter start to turn sideways and crash me into the ground again I called it quits.

- John

Mad-Mike
October 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Ha, I had dinosaur tech in Drivers Ed in high school. No computers, except one (a 486 running Windows 95) monitoring all these crazy mock-ups of an 80's Chevy drivers seat area, all pointed towards a projector screen. Instead of seeing the feedback of what you were doing in that faux Chevy Dash/Pedals/Gear arrangement, you had to follow whatever was being shown on screen by the video. It was sort of like that old Worlds Of Wonder Action Max game console with real automobile parts for controls, really cheesy. Most of those videos were apparently from the 50's, 60's, and 70's, as most of them were filled with classic cars like AMC Pacers, Edsels, 60's Thunderbirds, and other cars of those times. The most difficult part of it was pressing that accelerator pedal and maintaining steady speed, which was about as brainless as breathing.

TandyMan100
January 14th, 2009, 08:16 AM
You know, I found one a while back that you could get your learners permit by doing well enough in it but from what I remember it wasn't a racing game since it had street lights and stop signs, etc that you had to obey.

I wish I could remember what it was. I looked for it a few years after I found it and it sort of faded out of the spotlight but never could remember which one it was.

For airplanes I think x-plane was a simulator that was supposed to be real enough to get a license off of (it wouldn't give you one but for training purposes was supposed to be good). I played it and not being a pilot I got yelled at SO many times for stuff I had no idea about. I was taking off in a 747 or something, got yelled at for not (radioing?) in during the take-off (which was a little dumb since I can't talk to the game of course) but there were several switches to push on the radio that either said the right thing during the right time or were preprogrammed for permission, etc. I took off, got yelled at for not adjusting my flaps, I think I selected real weather so it was raining. I finally get up in the air after getting yelled at for not lifting the tires up (which atleast I figured out how to do that) and then it said something about since I didn't do something with my flaps or turn on something my wings iced over "enjoy the ride down" and the plane took a wonderful nose dive. I decided that game was a better sim than a fun game lol.

I also tried a helicopter but after half an our of either spinning in circles (someone later pointed out I didn't start my back propeller) and taking off and getting JUST high enough off the ground to have the helicopter start to turn sideways and crash me into the ground again I called it quits.

- John

For being a teenager, I actually did better than most new dudes in one of those full-motion flight simulators. Y'know what makes your story funnier? There is 10-year-olds with pilots liscences. Also, 747s and helis are NOT the best beginner planes. Try small planes, or LearJets. Much easier (and more fun!) :-D