PDA

View Full Version : RETRO **** baby!

chuckcmagee
September 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM
If I ever see that ebay seller that puts RETRO on all his listing, I am going to <<<censored>>>.

chuckcmagee
September 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Hmm, guess he is safe. No way I can come up with the $1800.00 airfare to Australia.

Terry Yager
September 27th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Retro seems to be the current buzzword among today's e-light haxorz (aka script-kiddies). While you and I think of our things as being 'classic' or 'vintage', they simply think of them as being old.

Funny, I'm watching this movie right now, The Day After Tomorrow, and a few minutes ago, one of the characters remarked [regarding the club they were in at the time] "Wow, very retro...it'd almost be kewl, if they did it on purpose."

--T

Terry Yager
September 27th, 2007, 05:01 PM
FWIW, I often include the word 'vintage' in my eBay auction titles, even though they are posted in the Vintage areas. (Some of the buyers need a little extra help understanding such subtleties).

--T

atari2600a
September 27th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I thought that scene was in a school...hell I'm not surprised if I'm wrong. After all, I watched it once, half asleep, in General Science class at 9AM 2 years ago...

Anyways, I think the term Retro could pull in more bidders whom are buying for pure nostalgia & not at all for collecting.

Terry Yager
September 27th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Might have been a school...I was only watching it with one eye.

--T

Dwight Elvey
September 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM
FWIW, I often include the word 'vintage' in my eBay auction titles, even though they are posted in the Vintage areas. (Some of the buyers need a little extra help understanding such subtleties).

--T

Hi Terry
Just don't use the word vintage as the first word.
When scanning a hundred or so items, those with the
word "vintage" as the first word tend to just blend into
the background, along with the "rare" ones.
I suspect I'm not the only one to miss a good
auction or two because I just couldn't see it for the
noise factor.
Dwight

Woodym1
October 28th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, on ebay, lots of words are misused/overused. My idea of vintage is my 64 Corvair Spyder or the 79 Bonneville 750 in my garage.. (in several baskets, but gradually coming together) or maybe myself, maybe even ex-wife #2? but certainly not a battery powered Timex wrist-watch! My grand-kids know better than to ever "Text" me!

Anonymous Freak
October 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM
To me, the difference is "Vintage" or "Classic" means it's actually old, while "Retro" means it's something new designed to look old.

For example, ThinkGeek's Bluetooth Retro Headset (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/8928/) is properly titled "Retro", whereas an eBay auction for a Western Electric 500 (http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ROTARY-DIAL-PHONE-BLACK1963-Bell-WESTERN-Elec_W0QQitemZ170162734634QQihZ007QQcategoryZ38037 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) is properly titled "Vintage".

Terry Yager
October 28th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I think it's just the cheapskate in me. If they allow a certain number of characters for the title, I feel like I'm cheating myself if I don't use 'em all, so sometimes I include filler words.

--T