PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh SE

Dwo Shwoom
September 28th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I ran into my former middle school teacher.

I talked and asked him what computers he used in the 80's (I learned that he did have a trs-80 still, but gave it to his son, but this was only the begining of our conversation), suddenly, I was talking to him and he mentioned that he owned two macintosh SE's! :D

So, If all goes to plan, maybe He'll give me one of them :inlove:, if they work.

how rare are SE's anyway? I think its the ones with SUPERDISK labeled on them that sell for alot.

chuckcmagee
September 28th, 2007, 01:34 PM
They are as common as books of matches. Ebay sellers have a tough time giving them away for $20.00. I got one awhile back, hard drive, keyboard, adb mouse, super nice carrying case, misc floppy disks, software already installed for $30.00 plus shipping. I should give it away for just the shipping charges. It was one of those "wow, look at that great deal on ebay and only 5 minutes left to bid, how can I pass it up!!" I forgot that I'm not much of a Apple guy, which is why I have the SE, a iMac blueberry hand warmer and a Powermac I haven't even looked at yet.

Ack, forgot the 2 Apple IIes too, geez.

Druid6900
September 28th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Well, he did better that the last decked out SE I sold on FB, I got 27.50US

If it's got "Mac" anywhere on it, it's worthless. Oh, unless, of course, it's the latest and greatest.

MacHeads are so used to having their equipment obseleted every 6 months that they have very little pride (or interest) in the brand's legacy.

As I said before, if I get a Mac in that isn't working off the bat (other than needing the battery replaced), I toss it because it's not worth working on.

Terry Yager
September 28th, 2007, 03:14 PM
If it's got "Mac" anywhere on it, it's worthless. Oh, unless, of course, it's the latest and greatest.

...Or the firstest and bestest...

--T

Unknown_K
September 28th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I got a SE FDHD with dual superdrives locally this year for free, wish I had an accelerator or network card for it.

All in all a nice machine for OS 6 with an external HD and 4MB max ram.

Everybody goes for the SE/30 or the Color classics with a fast 68040 installed.

Dwo Shwoom
September 28th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Personally, I have to agree with the "2 seconds and this imac nano is outdated" sort of sales with apple's software and hardware. But its the late 70's to late 90's that apple computers inc. really shined, unlike microsoft where they started ugly and turned into tiny tim with skin rash.

lenegade
October 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
I really like my SE. I even upgraded the HD from 40mb to an 80mb. I run system 7.5 on it (it has 4mb ram), and can print to either the Imagewriter II or the Personal Laserwriter.

Sparkfist
October 24th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah I just bought a Macintosh SE a few weeks ago. I love how it has just about everything I need, plus a dot-matrix printer to boot.

Rather then make a new thread I figured I'd ask this here. I'd like to see about getting something like a TSR-80 model 100 laptop, or if I can't get a Dreamwriter. I'd like to be able to dump them right on to my SE (no expensive USB adapter) and then print or move via floppy/Zip. Anyone know where I can get the cable and/or software to do that?

Druid6900
October 24th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Well, as luck would have it, there is a TRS-80 Model 100 on e-bay right now that ends at 8PM ET today (the 25th).

http://cgi.ebay.ca/TRS-80-Model-100-w-Case-and-Manual-WORKS_W0QQitemZ290172254722QQihZ019QQcategoryZ7494 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's an excellent unit in pristine condition and there will be will be numerous software packages available for it in an auction starting on November 1st.

What timing.

Yeah, yeah, I know, shameless plug for Cassiopia :)

Terry Yager
October 25th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Yeah I just bought a Macintosh SE a few weeks ago. I love how it has just about everything I need, plus a dot-matrix printer to boot.

Rather then make a new thread I figured I'd ask this here. I'd like to see about getting something like a TSR-80 model 100 laptop, or if I can't get a Dreamwriter. I'd like to be able to dump them right on to my SE (no expensive USB adapter) and then print or move via floppy/Zip. Anyone know where I can get the cable and/or software to do that?

The cable is a standard null modem, perhaps with an adapter for the Mac <--> RS-232, and the software is TELCOM on the M-100, and your favorite terminal emulator on the Mac.

--T

lenegade
October 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM
The cable is a standard null modem, perhaps with an adapter for the Mac <--> RS-232, and the software is TELCOM on the M-100, and your favorite terminal emulator on the Mac.

--T

Not a full null modem cable? hmmmm.... can't wait for my m100 to arrive!

Terry Yager
October 26th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I've used just a three-wire cable to commect the 100 to other PCs, but not to a Mac. YMMV.

--T