PDA

View Full Version : False advertising...sort of...

paul.brett
October 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Walking round a boot fair on Sunday, I spotted an Atari 1040 STE box. Normally this particular bootfair is devoid of anything even remotely interesting, so I was quite happy to check it out.

My computer museum (http://www.pbrett.com/cm) does not currently contain an Atari 1040 STE.

When lifted, the box seemed heavy enough to contain something interesting, so I proceeded to remove the cardboard sleeve and open the box.

I glanced inside, very aware that the stall holder was watching me like a hawk, and as I didn't want to seem too interested (pushes the price up) I didn't poke around in the box too much. I saw a wedge shaped computer with a keyboard.

When I asked how much, he told me the cables were missing, and I could have it for 5. I already had a limit of 10 in mind, and was happy to make the trade.

Foolish move.

When I got home, I found that the box did not contain an Atari 1040 STE, but a Commodore Amiga A600! Not only that, but the internal drive appears to be non-functional.

Doh!

Grrrrrr - ah well, never mind. Some you win.......

carlsson
October 8th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Are you saying it was nowhere near worth 5?

nige the hippy
October 8th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I'd be moderately happy with a slightly broken A600 for a fiver! (very mild answer, I know)

Vlad
October 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Well, regardless of how much money I had spent on it, if I purchased an item that showed it to be one thing only to get home and find its a completely different item and not working correctly, I'd be rather unhappy too.

carlsson
October 8th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I think it is the risk you have to pay to be able to make a bargain now and then. As Paul wrote, if he had fully opened the box and pulled out the computer, the seller may have asked 15 instead. Of course Paul in this case would not have bought it, but in a hypotethical universe it would've been a 1040STE inside the box that just tripled its price just because you inspected it. If there also had been facilities to boot it up at the fair and it worked, it may have doubled its price tag once more.

Personally I always want to test the computers I'm selling, so at least they were working when I sent them, but I know sellers who practically refuse to do so or will ask a significantly higher selling price if they test whether the machine is OK or not. It is your choice: take a chance and perhaps lose some money, or play safe but pay more if the item lives up to your expectations.

This past weekend, I was mildly interested in buying an boxed Oric-1 that the seller never had a chance to test. As a buyer, I was willing to pay the higher price if the computer was OK. However, it turned out to not boot up as it should, just stripes across the display which greatly saddened the seller who had kept it in his collection for a few years, believing it was OK. Perhaps it was just the power supply that is bad and could be replaced by a general purpose one, but I don't know the system well enough to make fast diagnosis and put a low enough price tag on a tested bad machine.

ahm
October 8th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Well, regardless of how much money I had spent on it, if I purchased an item that showed it to be one thing only to get home and find its a completely different item and not working correctly, I'd be rather unhappy too.

He did say he bought it at a "boot fair". (what we would call a garage sale, tag sale or yard sale).

So you're gonna tell me that if you were already home when you made the discovery, you'd drive all the way back there, try to find the vendor and then ask for your money back? Egad. You'd have burned that much in gas already, especially with that land yacht of yours. :-)

carlsson
October 9th, 2007, 01:28 AM
He could be unhappy without claiming his money back. Go out in the garden and hit a stone to chill off.

On the other hand, maybe the seller does have a loose 1040STE somewhere at home, and will find it the next time he cleans his garage. With flea market pricing, an unboxed computer as such should not go much beyond 2, right? :-) It is a matter to be there before someone else grabs it.

Vlad
October 9th, 2007, 10:15 AM
He did say he bought it at a "boot fair". (what we would call a garage sale, tag sale or yard sale).

So you're gonna tell me that if you were already home when you made the discovery, you'd drive all the way back there, try to find the vendor and then ask for your money back? Egad. You'd have burned that much in gas already, especially with that land yacht of yours. :-)

I didn't mean it like that, I'd just be mildly irked is all, I never said I'd drive back and try to get a refund. (Laughed at) And my land yacht isn't that bad with gas :p