PDA

View Full Version : SGI Indy 13W3 -> Sun Adaptor -> Non Sync-on-Green moni

phirkel
April 14th, 2004, 06:25 PM
I think this will win the award of the most convoluted setup.

I have an SGI indy that I want to attach a Samsung Syncmaster 750s to. This monitor is confirmed not not do Sync-on-Green by several third party sources. However, the SGI Indy does output a composite video signal. So I was wondering if anybody knew how to mash a Sun adaptor to take the composite signal from the Indy and route it to the correct pins?

Thanks.

carlsson
April 14th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Does the Syncmaster take composite video (15 kHz?) then? Is that a (S)VGA monitor? I think Sun 13W3 -> VGA adaptors can look a little different depending on who made it, and if it is only a few wires you may be more lucky in getting loose connectors and make your own adapter.

I remember a few IBM RS/6000 before, and while they were 13W3, it was clearly NOT Sun compatible. I think I looked up another one or two makers, possibly including SGI and found that everyone used the physical interface slightly differently. The three big cannons usually are RGB, but the selection of sync signals is so much different that you should look twice on pinout before testing or making small modifications.

Terry Yager
April 15th, 2004, 05:29 AM
I'm not familiar with the exact hardware you're dealing with, but I'll give it a shot.
Fixed-frequency displays come in three different varieties, often with BNC connectors for input. The inputs may be: Sync-on-green, (3 connectors, R,G,B) where the Horizontal and vertical sync signals are combined with the Green signal. Composite sync, (4 connectors, R,G,B,V/H) where the Vertical & Horizontal signals are combined together, but separate from any color signals. Separate sync, (5 connectors, R,G,B,V,H) where all signals have thier own wire. (Fixed-freq displays sometimes have a 9-pin D-shell connector instead of the BNC connectors, but still may be any of the 3 main types). Combining the signals together into a composite signal is simple, just tie the necessary signals together into one connector. Separating a composite-type signal is far more complicated, and usually requires some extra hardware (adaptor) to be built. Here's a link to something similar to what you're trying to do, hope it helps:

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/vga2rgbs.html

--T