PDA

View Full Version : Systemboard Temp Sensors

Vlad
October 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Is it me or are they about worthless? I've found them so far to be wildly inaccurate. I got a new processor today and thought a good way to stress it a little bit was to compile some code. So I bust out GCC and compile a few things I wanted from source. In the end I ended up with an Atari 2600 emulator among other things an I also seem to have violated the laws of Thermodynamics in the process. Going from 48C to 34C in less than one second isn't possible just by attaching a chunk of aluminum with a fan on it to the heat source. Another oddity is somehow the 2 cores are at very different temps. O.o Right now Core0 is at 26C and Core1 is at 37C. But, how can they be so different when its the same chip? I dunno what the "Termal Zone" is but ALWAYS reports 40C from cold boot to shut down at night. Its about 22C in my office so I dunno where that's coming from but its supposedly not the processor. I'm pretty sure the Thermal Zone is a sensor thats near the bottom edge of the board away from the CPU and RAM. So if it is, 40C is an outright lie since the only thing by it is a SATA connection and CMOS battery. If I put my hand on the case over the back side of the main board, I find the PSU is making a bigger warm spot than the processor is!

Vlad
October 15th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Since I'm stupid enough to put my hand in a running machine, (no wonder I have so many scars on my hands >.>) I did the utterly stupid, I touched the heat sink. 40C is 104F, enough to burn your skin near instantly. I held my finger against the Heatsink's block for about 7-10 seconds. It was barely even warm. So its reports of 98-118F are BS since it would have burned me and was barely warm enough to make a difference. I dunno where its getting 40C from but nothing in there is that hot. I'm beginning to blame that particular program since another that reads what the BIOS says reports about 26-28C, which is more closer to right than 36-40C

evildragon
October 15th, 2007, 12:47 PM
104 isn't enough to burn your skin instantly.. Your body temp is 98.6...

Terry Yager
October 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM
My hot tub used to max-out at 105F, just as a safety feature, before I tweaked it. (I like it real hot).

--T

Vlad
October 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM
evildragon: Doing the C to F conversion I was thinking 104C when I typed that, thus being 219 F which would hurt, bad. 104 F on the other hand (no pun intended) still would have been enough to feel rather than the acutal 23C it was.

Terry: Are you trying to stew yourself or something? O.o

evildragon
October 15th, 2007, 05:12 PM
evildragon: Doing the C to F conversion I was thinking 104C when I typed that, thus being 219 F which would hurt, bad. 104 F on the other hand (no pun intended) still would have been enough to feel rather than the acutal 23C it was.

You said this:

40C is 104F, enough to burn your skin near instantly.

That sounds like you mean 104f, because you showed the C.

I don't know if someone with a feaver of 104 would survive, but the skin can handle that.

Vlad
October 15th, 2007, 05:19 PM
At this point I'm not sure what happened. I tired converting the units in my head and I think there was a collision. O.<

Either way 104F would still feel hot to the touch, especially metal. This felt more warm than hot.

evildragon
October 15th, 2007, 06:38 PM
i just touched a 110 heatsink, not hot, just very warm.

you need an IR Thermometer ;)

Big Blues
October 16th, 2007, 05:27 PM
i just touched a 110 heatsink, not hot, just very warm.

you need an IR Thermometer ;)

Then you can have fun like this classic video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7XosLKUJEE